thinking of getting an XJ, ? about fuel economy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > thinking of getting an XJ, ? about fuel economy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

thinking of getting an XJ, ? about fuel economy

hey guys
i spend most of my time over in the ZJ forum, but i have a question.

I have a 95 ZJ, 5.2 V8. love everything about it, except the gas mileage! i get around 11 on a good day.

ive been tossing around the idea of getting an XJ for the sole purpose fuel economy. im thinking a 4 banger, 5 speed, 2wd, just for getting from A to B, and keeping my ZJ for hauling/towing and wheeling.

would i be able to pull down 20mpg, or am i crazy?

Unread 06-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

you can do 20 on an i6 easily. 4 banger barely gets out from under its own ***.
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Forget about the 2.5 you will be thoroughly disappointed. 20 MPG is well within the 4.0's capability.
JPCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

not really the best comparison, but my 2.5 5spd TJ on 33's and 4.10s gets about 4MPG less then my XJ!

check out the street XJ section. Maybe it was on NAXJA, but there was definitely a thread about saving gas. Dont even bother with a 2wd either, just remove the front driveshaft. Ive also heard about removing the roofrack and would definitely run stock 29" street tires. The stick shift can save you a little more gas, but not enough to warrant the premium they usually carry due to their rarity. I dont see why you cant get 20 highway.

Then you have people who say "well my prius gets 40". well yeah but im not making payments, parts are cheap as ****, it never breaks, Does not cost 10,000 to replace the batteries, can actually tow stuff and, the best part, when it gets too worn out for the street, trail beater!
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

yes, 4 banger xj will get around 20, but like its been said, its a slow ride for the most part. most people i talk to get about the same with the 4.0. the extra power of the 4.0 if you are on the interstate is nice too. i will admit though, the 2.5l with a 5 speed 2wd is a BLAST to use when you are tryin to make someone mad who doesn't know what they are doin in the mud.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I've got a 93 with a 4.0 HO, 4x4, Auto, 4 door... I get like, 16.4 mpg last time I checked it...

I would like to get another 4 mpgs....
Teeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would never buy a jeep if I was worried about fuel economy. Those two things just dont seem to go hand in hand.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
MPETESS10

^^^what he said^^^

I can understand wanting better mpg and considering buying a 2nd vehicle for the sole purpose of getting better mpg, especially when you current vehicle does so poorly.
but buying a 2nd jeep to drive around in just for mpg just makes no sense at all. you get 11 mpg in the ZJ and you would be happy to drive a vehicle that gets 20?
why not take the money you were gonna spend on the XJ and get a small car that gets 30 mpg? you have said your self that the only thing the XJ would be used for is getting from A to B, so why would you need an XJ to do that, when pretty much ANY car on the market will accomplish that task AND do it better for less gas money.
MPETESS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPETESS10 View Post
^^^what he said^^^

I can understand wanting better mpg and considering buying a 2nd vehicle for the sole purpose of getting better mpg, especially when you current vehicle does so poorly.
but buying a 2nd jeep to drive around in just for mpg just makes no sense at all. you get 11 mpg in the ZJ and you would be happy to drive a vehicle that gets 20?
why not take the money you were gonna spend on the XJ and get a small car that gets 30 mpg? you have said your self that the only thing the XJ would be used for is getting from A to B, so why would you need an XJ to do that, when pretty much ANY car on the market will accomplish that task AND do it better for less gas money.
this

I was getting 13 MPG from the xj so dropped 1200 on an old great running Saturn that get 35 saved lots of money in the first 6 months
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

There's a difference between wanting good MPG for the class and wanting good MPG compared to a small 4 banger car.

If you're getting 13 mpg in an XJ you're either running big tires, ignorant of what you need to fix/maintain to get more realistic MPGs, or you're flat out too lazy to improve it. EPA estimates for city never dipped under 14 and they're a median calculation and they're 10+ years old. There's no reason a properly maintained XJ with a few performance mods for better fuel economy can't get 17 or higher city MPG.
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Snowbeast
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
There's a difference between wanting good MPG for the class and wanting good MPG compared to a small 4 banger car.

If you're getting 13 mpg in an XJ you're either running big tires, ignorant of what you need to fix/maintain to get more realistic MPGs, or you're flat out too lazy to improve it. EPA estimates for city never dipped under 14 and they're a median calculation and they're 10+ years old. There's no reason a properly maintained XJ with a few performance mods for better fuel economy can't get 17 or higher city MPG.
My xj has 4.10 gears and 35" km2's and it got 17 mpg on my last dune trip. YEEEA
Snowbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
markcorpus
1998 ZJ 

dnuccio I just did exactly what you are considering for similar reasons. I didn't want to put a lot of miles on my ZJ and get 15 mpg in it. I wanted a slight improvement in gas mileage, wanted something easy to work on and most or all, still wanted to be sitting in a Jeep. I just bought a 99 stock 2wd XJ 2 days ago and am getting it ready as my new commute vehicle. Is it the most logical way to go? I'm sure there are vehicles I could have gotten with better gas mileage but if I'm going to be working on a vehicle and I want it to be in the Jeep family.
markcorpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post

Amen.

Also...It's likely that a lot of people citing terrible mileage are also calculating it wrong. If they didn't adjust their speedo gear to match a new tire size, then their trip/odometer is wrong, and the MPG calculation is wrong. If they're going to different pumps at different times of the day when they fill up, then they're not getting the same amounts of gas each time, and their MPG calculations will be wrong. If they're just estimating MPG based on miles per tank like so many people seem to do, then they're really extraordinarily wrong and beyond help.
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought a 92 Cherokee w/5speed for a DD. New tires (235/75/15), cleaned IAT, cleaned IAC, New TPS, old leaky FPR. It burns or drips about a quart every 1000 miles, right now I’m not worried about it, and if thicker oil and some new gaskets do not help I will re-ring it one day. . . It also must have a 180° thermostat as it never gets “up to temp”.

With all that my last trip through some hilly terrain (Tucson-Redington-Tucson) I got 19.8 mpg. My drive to work is 50/50 and depending on how tired my foot is I get around 16/17mpg. I have not seen it dip any lower than that yet.

My speedo is 1mph off at 60, I don’t cruise faster than 65-70.
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post

Or like the skinny pedal.

33s on 3.55s, IIRC my speedo is off by a good 5mph by 65, and by 85 I'm sure it's off by 10.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.