Thinking of buyng an XJ...any tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Thinking of buyng an XJ...any tips?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Hazard85

Thinking of buyng an XJ...any tips?

Hello everyone!

I've been playing in the mud for several years now, but in 4x4 trucks and ATVs, but now, with a family, I'm thinking it's time for a four-door trail rig. I settled on an XJ because they are plentiful, cheap, and parts are widely available. The rig I buy will be offroad only (it will be trailered there and back). I'm thinking of going with an automatic, purely because it's easier to "rock it" out of a mud hole. With that being said, here is the list of mods I'm thinking of:

Weld both front and rear diffs.

Redneck intake snorkel (PVC pipe run out the fender and up the A pillar)

Cat delete, glasspack muffler, and exhaust snorkel.

Fender cut

4" lift

33" Mud tires

6,000 lb winch with appropriate bumper

This will be a trail/mud rig; no rock crawling.

I'm asking for input on my ideas, as well as if there are certain years or options to look for or avoid. Thanks in advance!!

Hazard85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard85 View Post
Hello everyone!

I've been playing in the mud for several years now, but in 4x4 trucks and ATVs, but now, with a family, I'm thinking it's time for a four-door trail rig. I settled on an XJ because they are plentiful, cheap, and parts are widely available. The rig I buy will be offroad only (it will be trailered there and back). I'm thinking of going with an automatic, purely because it's easier to "rock it" out of a mud hole. With that being said, here is the list of mods I'm thinking of:

Weld both front and rear diffs.

Redneck intake snorkel (PVC pipe run out the fender and up the A pillar)

Cat delete, glasspack muffler, and exhaust snorkel.

Fender cut

4" lift

33" Mud tires

6,000 lb winch with appropriate bumper

This will be a trail/mud rig; no rock crawling.

I'm asking for input on my ideas, as well as if there are certain years or options to look for or avoid. Thanks in advance!!
Sounds like a fun project. I own a 96 and had I to do it again, I would have gone earlier or later. 96 is an goofy year as they were switching everything over to OBDII but on early models, they just made the 95 parts work.. on later models they switched out some of them to the 97 parts... and then are a few parts that 96 specific and some are getting hard to find. That said, its not that big of deal, but you do need to put a little extra effort in to buying the right parts to avoid multiple trips to the parts store to exchange them.

I would also avoid the 2000/2001 models with the 0331 head. The forums are full of horror stories of this particular head cracking. Its possible that you might find one that has already had the head replaced with a tupy head, but you'd want to check that before dropping any cash on the thing.

My daughter has a 90 renix, and it is a great vehicle, but some of the parts for her XJ take some work to track down too.
foreveryoung001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you want to do a snorkel, you'll want to avoid 97+ models with antliock brakes. maybe the older ones, too, but I can't remember.
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Ratrod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

92-96 were the years I was recommended when I was looking.
Unread 05-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This is the link for when I asked a similar question a while back and got some good advice....I went with a 99 in large part because of the info and opinions in this link. Good luck with your search.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...94/?highlight=
jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC View Post
If you want to do a snorkel, you'll want to avoid 97+ models with antliock brakes. maybe the older ones, too, but I can't remember.
Don't all the ABS models also have D35s in the rear?
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Don't all the ABS models also have D35s in the rear?
I believe so.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yet another reason to avoid it.
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get one with no Ca. emissions and no power windows.They are headaches.2000-2001,Ive had two and two cracked heads.But I was not the origonal owner,so dont know if it was overheated or not.
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get whatever XJ you can find with a good running motor, a 29spline 8.25 rear ('97+), and a 231 Tcase. Better transfer case - simple, stout. Strongest stock axle in an XJ w/o ABS (not that it matters when you're hammering the throttle)

Some of the information in this thread is BS and misguiding.

-Snorkel vs ABS has no correlation. Only the D35 had ABS and you won't want that axle if you're welding the rear with bigger tires anyways, but the ABS doesn't care if you have a snorkel.
-The forums are littered with 0331 head crap - it's mostly from lack of maintenance and butt hurt, and the other 99% of the heads have had no issues. Most Ford Exploders didn't flip because of Firestone tires either.
-The advantage of the 00 and 01 XJ is the coil pack ignition which would be much more tolerant of wet and muddy conditions than a distributor based ignition. They can be water proofed too so pick the best rig you can find in your budget and beat it.

-No power windows and CA emmisions is actually a very good point - will save on weight and simplifies your under carriage.
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Between the issues with the 0331 head, oil pump driveshaft, and low pinion D30, I would highly recommend not getting an 00-01. A 96 if you don't need cup holders and a 98-99 if you do.
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

'96's have the issue of being a mismatch of the generations. That would be one I'd stay away from. If you like the older style, get a '95.
Unread 05-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I dislike the 95s because they're not OBDII. Also, I don't think they came with the 8.25" rear either.
Unread 05-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #14
VNilla
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
Get whatever XJ you can find with a good running motor, a 29spline 8.25 rear ('97+), and a 231 Tcase. Better transfer case - simple, stout. Strongest stock axle in an XJ w/o ABS (not that it matters when you're hammering the throttle)

Some of the information in this thread is BS and misguiding.

-Snorkel vs ABS has no correlation. Only the D35 had ABS and you won't want that axle if you're welding the rear with bigger tires anyways, but the ABS doesn't care if you have a snorkel.
-The forums are littered with 0331 head crap - it's mostly from lack of maintenance and butt hurt, and the other 99% of the heads have had no issues. Most Ford Exploders didn't flip because of Firestone tires either.
-The advantage of the 00 and 01 XJ is the coil pack ignition which would be much more tolerant of wet and muddy conditions than a distributor based ignition. They can be water proofed too so pick the best rig you can find in your budget and beat it.

-No power windows and CA emmisions is actually a very good point - will save on weight and simplifies your under carriage.
^This guy gets it.

I have a 98 and granted it hates me but I love it. After my research I found that a 98 or 99 was best for me.

I'd recommend the same for you. My selling points were the HP d30, 8.25 rear, newer style interior and a newer style body. Just avoid the renix models and you'll be fine with whatever you get. Good luck.

Breaking bolts and taking names.
VNilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

97s have a reputation for wiring issues but they're an okay choice as well.

We're just suggesting the 98-99 to try and save you some money and work. The best axles, the best options, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.