Thinkin about getting a XJ . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Thinkin about getting a XJ .

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thinkin about getting a XJ .

So im just throwing some thoughts around.
Keep my YJ and do a 4.0 swap next year .....OR..... sell the YJ and get a XJ.
I could use the room (the devil on my shoulder tells me).......
What should I look for and look-out for when picking up a cherokee ?

Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a friend with a 2 door XJ and he loves it, XJ were listed on some msn auto thing a few months ago as one of the cars that never die, and its nice to be able to get some parts from the salvage yard I know here in ut there are tons of XJ in the salvage yards but ive never seen a wrangler.
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I sold my YJ and got an XJ and the only thing I miss about the YJ is going topless and doorless. If it is going to be a daily driver try to get a 97-01, preferably a 97-99, 99 being the best. Coming from a YJ you will love the comparably upscale interior and the comfort, I know I did.

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ 05WK
biggn235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
tdp1jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggn235 View Post
I sold my YJ and got an XJ and the only thing I miss about the YJ is going topless and doorless. If it is going to be a daily driver try to get a 97-01, preferably a 97-99, 99 being the best. Coming from a YJ you will love the comparably upscale interior and the comfort, I know I did.
Why the 97-99 ?
tdp1jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
rosader
1998 XJ Cherokee 

'97-2001 is the newest body style. '99 switched to body colored flares/grille.
After '99 there are cylinder head issues and a less desirable low-pinion front axle (only a problem if you plan on lifting it)

'02 Isuzu Rodeo Sport
3.2L V6 | automatic | hard top | 4x4
rosader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea the 97-99s are about the best you can get. They look better (imo) and seem to be a bit more solid. I don't think you'll be disappointed no matter what year you go with.
Unread 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosader View Post
'97-2001 is the newest body style. '99 switched to body colored flares/grille.
After '99 there are cylinder head issues and a less desirable low-pinion front axle (only a problem if you plan on lifting it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
Yea the 97-99s are about the best you can get. They look better (imo) and seem to be a bit more solid. I don't think you'll be disappointed no matter what year you go with.
All of this. Also the '99 is the last year of the distributor (which I easily prefer) before they went with ignition coils, and it also has the newer (better) redesigned intake manifold.

Unread 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
CALBonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Hey! Okay so I'm just going to share my experience and what to look out for and I hope I help. I own a 1995 Jeep Cherokee with the 5-Speed linked to the 4.0 High Output. It has 242,000 miles and it has been faithful every mile that my family, and I will come. These to me aren't really classified as cars, I consider them tanks because they just simply don't die. IMO you could probably drain the fluids out of it and STILL have it run. But don't try that. My Jeep sat for three years without being started or ran when me and my family had moved to RI. We left it in November of 2009, and I received it in 10x worse condition than I left it in on March 9, 2012. It has been in my family for years, but they shot it's interior completely. (Pictures to come on my profile) It was down a quart of oil when it got here, had no coolant in it, and had a black air filter. (The white part of the filter was not even visible) It still had the guts to roll off the top of the car shipper with it's engine running. IMO, no vehicle could do that except a Jeep. For me, I wouldn't go with anything past 1996 because I've heard they do have issues with the heads cracking, but I've only read it off the internet so you can't always believe it. When it got here, two months after gathering my money for the repair shop, I wasn't really wacked to hard in the face with the repair bill. (It was $500.00) and it is still in being repaired for a (Front Stabilizer Bar, Brakes, and a few other things) As far as things to look out for, take it on a long test drive and watch the temp. gauge. Some do have a rep. for overheating. Mine has done it a few times, (I say it's tired and needs a nap on the rare occasion it has done it) I really can't say anything about rust because mine comes from Cali, and got to RI in the beginning of spring but I'm going to have it rust proofed (Mechanic says its expensive but worth it) but those are the only things I can really think of. Oh wait! O2 Sensors cause a problem sometimes. Ive got no idea what they are because I've never had an issue with one and I hope you don't either. Hope I helped you a little bit on making your decision!!

~Thomas & Bessy (Mah Jeep!!!!)~
CALBonifacio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

head problem is overplayed but still a problem if it over heats. Get any year before 2000 and ur safe. They go forever, you'll love the room, you'll realize how capable they are on and offroad. I go doorless all the time

but yes newer bodies are more desireable 97-01. i have a 90 and had an 01. loved them both. the 4.0 goes forever. i'd suggest getting a 4.0 HO just cuz. which i think is 90+. just do it you'll be so happy you did. thats why i came back to an xj i sold it and never wish i did
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys for all the info . The next year or so I may be an XJ owner.
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggn235 View Post
X2, I did the same thing 2x, Sold my TJ for an XJ missed being topless and doorless so I sold the XJ for a YJ, Then I sold the YJ an bought a 99 XJ . With in the next year I hope to Buy another YJ but I will be keeping the XJ as the Family hauler/wheeling rig an the YJ will be more-less a Hardcore Crawling rig
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well ive been researching local pricing for an XJ and what I could sell the wrangler for, so my next question is what gears did they come with ? cuz I may keep my built up D35 w/OX and yukon axles depending on the sell on the YJ . I have 4.10's
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I6 auto 3.55
I6 auto with tow package 3.73
I6 manual 3.07
I4 manual 4.10
I4 auto ? don't remember

Most XJs have Chrysler 8.25 rear ends which are bigger and better than Dana 35s, and if you get a 97+ it will have 29 splines

Unread 09-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well Ive been lookin at XJ's like crazy . I am leaning at 97-99 just trying to find one with under 150k miles and that moab red dirt interior (i love it) but the guy next to my work has electrical issues with his power windows. Is this common ? I dont mind manual windows it beats a zipper. some Ive checked out the price its too high compared to others the same year/milage.
The other thing ive noticed is lifted/modded rigs are not selling, wich has me worried about selling the YJ , so I may transfer all my goodies to the XJ when I find the diamond im looking for.
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Is your neighbor's XJ a 97-01? If it is then yes the electric windows are a common problem with them, both my 98 and 99 had issues. But it is only a 2 minute fix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.