Theft...not deterrent...punishment. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Theft...not deterrent...punishment.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Theft...not deterrent...punishment.

I'm thinking of wiring my door/seatbelt/key/light buzzer(s) straight to an ignition power source so that they run continuously while the vehicle is on. In that circuit I'd put a switch (hidden) to turn that power source off. The nasty idea is that I could flip that switch on when leaving my Jeep, and in the event that some naughty person tries to take it, they'd be subjected to a never-ending chorus of those oh-so-beautiful-sounding buzzers.

Yeah, a true security system is on my wish list, but I figured this would be easy and could also provide some entertainment if, for example, a friend wanted to drive my XJ

I don't really have a question or anything. I just kinda felt like sharing the idea. I'm always so "business" around here; it's nice to just plop a little light-hearted post for some giggles.

mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting idea, though a hidden kill switch would probably be more effective at preventing theft. Or if you're in a pinch pull the coil to dist. wire or ASD relay and put it in your pocket if you're parking in a bad area.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Interesting idea, though a hidden kill switch would probably be more effective at preventing theft. Or if you're in a pinch pull the coil to dist. wire or ASD relay and put it in your pocket if you're parking in a bad area.
Agreed, but there are thieves who've likely encountered kill switches before (still a good idea on also on my list of things to do), and popping hoods and pulling wires/parts, while very effective, is also more time consuming and dirty (sometimes getting dirty upon arrival somewhere isn't a good idea). What most thieves have never encountered is the soul-shattering screams of an XJ warning buzzer. Hehe, of course I'm not defending this as a real theft deterrent--just a fun idea, and it won't hurt as an extra layer of security, I suppose.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Of course to really punish the thief there is always this:

(flame thrower car alarm).

It's a shame these are illegal in the US though.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Now just hope the thief is not deaf. LoL
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.