JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Teeeejay's '01 XJ Build (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/teeeejays-01-xj-build-1434333/)

Teeeejay 11-03-2012 01:49 PM

Teeeejay's '01 XJ Build
 
Sup guys. I got my 2001 XJ Sport about a year ago from a family friend for $600. Had 79k miles at the time and a cracked windshield, but everything else was working brilliantly. I'm planning on lifting this Jeep about 3.5"-4.5" and throwing 31s or 33s under there, as I'm a low budget 17-year-old who only drives this Jeep.

I'm looking at the IRO 4" kit and the RE 3.5/4.5" kit, with more interest in the RE 3.5". It seems to sit high, stuff 31s well, and has provides good ride offroad and on street. Any input appreciated. :thumbsup:

Anyway, on to some pictures!

When we first got the Jeep (after a wash and wax, of course)

http://i.imgur.com/OcmHm.jpg

After some new tires from my dad and some messing around behind the town pool

http://i.imgur.com/CjaLl.jpg

Poser flex shots in my driveway

http://i.imgur.com/GsQ6W.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hZDGn.jpg

bobthecatkiller 11-03-2012 05:35 PM

I know someone will chime in and say "ohhhh ummm the 0331 head isn't a big deal" but its still worth researching it and keeping a good eye on it in case it does go. IMHO I think the 0331 head cracking issue doesn't happen often but it still happens more often then some people like to believe. good luck with your xj, my advice is to check and change every fluid, its what I do with all my new vehicles family owned or not, hell my zj had its original spark plugs@154k I was like dad wtf? (I got the zj for free from my parents)

Teeeejay 11-03-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller (Post 14399918)
I know someone will chime in and say "ohhhh ummm the 0331 head isn't a big deal" but its still worth researching it and keeping a good eye on it in case it does go. IMHO I think the 0331 head cracking issue doesn't happen often but it still happens more often then some people like to believe. good luck with your xj, my advice is to check and change every fluid, its what I do with all my new vehicles family owned or not, hell my zj had its original spark plugs@154k I was like dad wtf? (I got the zj for free from my parents)

Yep, I did a BUNCH of research on the 0331 head when my antifreeze was leaking and I was getting overheats. Turned out to be the freeze plugs, but I made sure to watch it. Now I check my temperature gauge more than my speedometer. :P

I'm still not entirely sure of my plans for this build; I really am wanting a 4.5 RE lift with 33s. I was looking at getting the 4.5 coils, 3.5 rear leafs with 1" shackle (more flex), IRO trackbar, then not sure if I want IRO long arms or RE adjustable short arms. Hopefully you guys can chime in a bit. :D

Obviously I'll get an SYE with this, and I've already got a front driveshaft from the junkyard that I'll use.

Spokes 11-04-2012 11:58 PM

jeep looks good! i graduated from HP! shoot me a PM!

Rockdrummer93 11-05-2012 06:12 AM

Nice look XJ man. If your split between 2 sizes of lifts always go with the bigger one you'll be more pleased with it in the end.

Teeeejay 11-05-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93
Nice look XJ man. If your split between 2 sizes of lifts always go with the bigger one you'll be more pleased with it in the end.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I'm really digging the RE 4.5 with 33s. Not sure if I'd long arm or not, though.

Spokes 11-05-2012 12:55 PM

go long arm,

your PM inbox is full so i cant reply lol but i living in florham park

Rockdrummer93 11-05-2012 01:52 PM

Yeah If you have the money to go long arm do it the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

jordansandnikes 11-05-2012 03:53 PM

I got almost the same jeep,is it alright to flex the stock suspension?

jordansandnikes 11-05-2012 03:59 PM

Oh wait,never mind what I meant was would it be better to long arm kit it?

Texsun 11-05-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordansandnikes (Post 14409094)
Oh wait,never mind what I meant was would it be better to long arm kit it?

Yes, but you will have to do more than just long arms.

Lift, tracbar, sway bar links, possibly steering, and maybe even driveshaft"s"

Teeeejay 11-09-2012 10:37 PM

I'm really digging the idea of the RE coils/leafs with some sort of long arm set, I just don't really know which long arms are best bang for your buck. I know IRO is cheap, but I also would rather not have a single 10mm bolt holding it all together...so...probably not getting them. Any ideas?

Spokes 11-11-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teeeejay (Post 14431137)
I'm really digging the idea of the RE coils/leafs with some sort of long arm set, I just don't really know which long arms are best bang for your buck. I know IRO is cheap, but I also would rather not have a single 10mm bolt holding it all together...so...probably not getting them. Any ideas?

rough country :teehee:


poly performance, synegry suspension, BDS, clayton, TNT, rock krawler,

some of those are radius arms, but bds, poly, synegry, are the only true 4 link long arm, that i can think of.

Teeeejay 11-30-2012 09:10 AM

I've basically decided that I'm going to get RE 3.5 Coils/Leaves, Bilstein 5100s, and Super-Flex Adjustable Control Arms for this Jeep. I'd like to run 33s on this (with proper trimming and bumpstopping), so would the Bilsteins for 3.5-4.5" be long enough for the 33s?

jeepkid03 11-30-2012 10:13 AM

OHHH a slow build, not a slow high schooler. :rofl::rofl:

Jeep looks good man! I like the color. :thumbsup:


The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.