A tale of two jeeps, but which one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > A tale of two jeeps, but which one?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
MaineRonin

A tale of two jeeps, but which one?

Hi,

I want to join the club this weekend and get my first XJ. The plan is to make it into this:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic.../photo_27.html

I'd like to do the 4.5" lift because I'll never go bigger than 32" tires, upgrade the axles and put selectable Eaton E-Lockers in them. I'm thinking a Ford 8.8 in the rear with 4.10 gears because on the aftermarket support. Super Dana 30s for the front.

Basically, it would be a back up to the daily driver that would do well on snow covered Maine roads and hold it's own in the woods.

These are the two I'm considering:

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3098062282.html

and

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3099055104.html

I'm liking the one with lower miles despite the electrical issue. If I can't fix that then I probably shouldn't get into this.

Your opinions...please!

Thanks,
Adam

MaineRonin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
weboneando
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That electrical issues are very easy to fix, the power window control just needs a bridge between wires inside the drivers door in order to bypass the control switch that restrains the passengers controls (should be some writeup around here), but have you noticed that it is a 2WD and the other is 4X4?
weboneando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
MaineRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by weboneando View Post
That electrical issues are very easy to fix, the power window control just needs a bridge between wires inside the drivers door in order to bypass the control switch that restrains the passengers controls (should be some writeup around here), but have you noticed that it is a 2WD and the other is 4X4?
Hmmm... What are you seeing I'm not? One says it's 4wheel drive and I can see a transfer case lever in a picture of the other one.
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
weboneando
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Youīre right, my mistake didnīt pay attention to that picture. So theyīre almost the same and like I said those electrical issues are easy solved and I can assure you that the other one if it hasnīt had the issue already at some point is going to, itīs in itīs genes.
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
MaineRonin

Quote:
Youīre right, my mistake didnīt pay attention to that picture. So theyīre almost the same and like I said those electrical issues are easy solved and I can assure you that the other one if it hasnīt had the issue already at some point is going to, itīs in itīs genes.
I believe you. My girlfriend and I have test driven two others and they both had the same issue.
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The one in NH looks cleaner, I would spend the extra 500 bux and you can probably talk him down to 3 anyways
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
weboneando
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Had the same impression but also tough that the quality of pictures were the culprit, on the other hand tinted windows and a tow package could set a favorite.
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
on the other hand tinted windows and a tow package could set a favorite.
Good point!
Unread 06-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
MaineRonin

Quote:
Had the same impression but also tough that the quality of pictures were the culprit, on the other hand tinted windows and a tow package could set a favorite.
I was just about to post that the Chrysler 8.25 was no good because the only selectable locker was from ARB, but then I found this:

http://www.drivetrainshop.com/OX_Loc...825-273-29.htm

That just might be my Jeep!

Last edited by MaineRonin; 06-29-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Unread 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
weboneando
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And donīt forget this one:

http://www.aussielocker.com/index.ph...-xd-58229.html
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Something is telling me that the one with the towing package came in 4.10 gearing, where the one without it has 3.55.

I could be wrong, but i'm near positive. The black one looks identical to mine when it was stock.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Make it like mine so we can be twins!

Unread 06-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
MaineRonin

Quote:
That sir, is an automatic locker and I will have no part of it! I don't think it would work well on snow packed roads.
Unread 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I run a destroy true track auto locker and haven't had one problem driving in the snow or ice,just use your head and you will be fine.I was also warned about an auto locker and still have yet to regret getting it,most people who bad mouth them have never driven with them.Ps my wife also drove my XJ in the last big snow storm we had with no problems
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weboneando
Hey buddy im not trying hijack your thread(you will find something like this alot here) but i just bought a cherokee that has the same issue with all the passenger window switchs not working and only the driver switchs working. I figured there was a problem with the window lock switch. I was going to replace it. What is this bridge between the wires and can someone point me into the direction of the thread that talks about it.
To o.p., if i were you i would go check out both vehicals. You never know if someone is hiding something untill you actually go and see/test drive. Listen to the motors and check for rust. We both live on east coast so rust is an issue. Check out the interiors and look for wich one has less normal wear and tear. I wish my cherokee was as clean as those two tho
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.