super fun sye install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > super fun sye install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
med
1998 XJ Cherokee 

super fun sye install

So i started taking things apart and the first problem i had was the tail housing seal thing. took me a gear puller, a screw driver and a BFH. 20 minutes later i got it off.
I continue on and my next issue the Inner and Outer snap rings. Awhile later I ended up breaking my first pair of pliars. Went to the store and got another pair. This pair actually worked. wonderful! I continued got everything apart and switched the shafts, etc etc.
I started to reassemble everything and wasnt paying any attention and put the oil pump on the inside of the case half. I ended up snapping off one of the lips that holds it from going inside the case half. I decided to just use the part still, there were still 3 others to do its job.
I fixed that issue and got everything back together and as i was cleaning up and noticed i still had a snap ring laying out from the sye kit. I took the entire thing back apart only to find out that nothing was missing. Awesome...
Everything after that went smooth. I also noticed a tiny spring that looks like its from inside a pen laying around. I Don't see any place where it goes.

My problem now is my Transfer case grinds when I have the TC in N and shift the Tranny into park. It may or may do that normally but I do not know.

This was my first real project aside from a thermostat change. It sucked but im glad I now have the knowledge.

IRO 4" Coils | OME 2.75" Leafs | Teraflex 1.5" Shackles | IRO Trackbar | OME Steering stabilizer | Rustys Intake | APN header | Putco Harness | AA SYE | Tom Woods CV DS | 33" KM2s | 16x9 AEV wheels | Bilstein 5100s | JKS Discos | Brown Dog Motor Mounts | IRO L/UCA |
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
.....My problem now is my Transfer case grinds when I have the TC in N and shift the Tranny into park. ....
Just don't do that. Probelm solved.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

x2. the transmission is still spinning when you do that, thats the grinding you hear. not t-case related at all. the only little spring i can think of is in the shift detent ball on the bottom of the back half of the case. but if you never took it apart and your transfer case shifts and drives fine i wouldnt worry.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I learned my lesson as well. Don't run the engine and try to shift the Tcase around with no driveshafts. Everytime you switch it in and out of gear, something will grind. Scared the crap out of me. Wait until you have the whole drivetrain back together to try it out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.