summer hatch.. opinions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > summer hatch.. opinions?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 02-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

summer hatch.. opinions?

last summer i made myself a set of halfdoors

i still need to finish the rear doors, but i really enjoyed the open-ness of them without the lack of attention (cops, theifs ect..) and dirt that gets into my jeep being completly doorless during the summer.

ive always wanted my rear window to be removable and i got to thinking today since the weather was GORGEOUS (69 febuary in NJ?!:)

what if i removed the hatch, got a comanche tailgate and a doner hatch to clean up the edges a bit. well i did a good amount of searching and came across this photoshoped mock up-

not sure if anyone has actually done this.. if anyone knows please chim in.

i would use the comanche tailgate as the lower and a doner hatch to cut up to keep it clean around the edges. hatch peice would be bolted secure to the jeep. no window of course

thoughts, opinions and concerns on this "summer hatch" idea? the halfdoors stayed on through all weather conditions last summer (even hurricane Irene ) so im not worried about that.

Unread 02-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Would be a great thing during a hot summer day or a trip down the shore, but for wheeling idk. On an xj the rear hatch is structural to the unibody so when wheeling you would be putting more stress on the unibody then without it for sure (that rear hatch is a heavy sob) What kind of wheeling do you do? if your just mudding in the pine barrens or what not unibody structure isn't a big deal but if your into rocks I'd say your gona stress the body a lot.

Also would have to attach with some type of quick pin setup or something, would be badass if you can make it work though.
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Dash9893
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That's actually a really cool idea. It would probably take a lot of metal work and not look as clean as stock but a split rear hatch like that would be awesome!

And yes, as a fellow Jerseyan I can say WTF to this weather as well.
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGArfx View Post
Would be a great thing during a hot summer day or a trip down the shore, but for wheeling idk. On an xj the rear hatch is structural to the unibody so when wheeling you would be putting more stress on the unibody then without it for sure (that rear hatch is a heavy sob) What kind of wheeling do you do? if your just mudding in the pine barrens or what not unibody structure isn't a big deal but if your into rocks I'd say your gona stress the body a lot.

Also would have to attach with some type of quick pin setup or something, would be badass if you can make it work though.
not so much rocks. i do alot of hill/washout crawling, and prerunning through the pines. i do know its a structural support. once the tailgate is latched and the doner hatch piece is bolted on i dont see it being much, if any differant from the original hatch support though. the jeep is my DD also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash9893 View Post
That's actually a really cool idea. It would probably take a lot of metal work and not look as clean as stock but a split rear hatch like that would be awesome!
And yes, as a fellow Jerseyan I can say WTF to this weather as well.
it wouldnt take much metal work at all, just cutting the doner hatch. the doner hatch peice owuld only be there to keep it clean/stock looking..ish

im not complainging about our recent weather
Unread 02-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i dont see how the hatch adds structural support when it just latches and isnt even a solid connection, but thats just my .02 cents

one thing i have noticed driving without a hatch is when your in the dirt it basically acts as a vaccum and sucks all the dust into the cab. rolling all the windows down helps a little. just a heads up
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualPurposeXJ View Post
i dont see how the hatch adds structural support when it just latches and isnt even a solid connection, but thats just my .02 cents

one thing i have noticed driving without a hatch is when your in the dirt it basically acts as a vaccum and sucks all the dust into the cab. rolling all the windows down helps a little. just a heads up
Ever try to open or close your hatch when the suspension is flexed? Doesn't happen.

The vacucm wouldnt be as big of an issue with the halfdoors on. If anything it would let the wind resistance out.

Talked to a friend and he's got an MJ gate he's going to try to get to me soon. Looks like ill be doing this sooner than I thought
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
theshaolin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The tailgate is the same width as the hatch?
1991 Chevrolet K1500 - 4x4 5.7L 5spd - For Sale (Cheap!)
theshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
Ever try to open or close your hatch when the suspension is flexed? Doesn't happen.
Just because the hatch gets wedged in between the body when you flex doesn't make it a structural piece. Im not trying to turn this thread into a pissing match so im not going to say anymore about the hatch being structural or not
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaolin View Post
The tailgate is the same width as the hatch?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualPurposeXJ View Post
Just because the hatch gets wedged in between the body when you flex doesn't make it a structural piece. Im not trying to turn this thread into a pissing match so im not going to say anymore about the hatch being structural or not
the fact that when flexed you can not open nor close the hatch proves there is some type of suport in the design. any type of "wedge" is still going to give some type of support over not having it there at all. building a cage could be considered a type of wedge to keep the unibody from twisting and cortorting really.. but like you said this isnt turning into a structural support debate.
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
MuddSnapper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

WHAT HAPPENED!!! I want to do this! Is the MJ tailgate really the same size?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1990-xj-4-0-renix-build-codename-mudd-1492362/"]Project MUDD[/URL]
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
MuddSnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
xj59

I had a similar idea but since I built my own tube doors I was thinkin about makin a tube hatch so that it would be as structurally sound as a regular hatch. Any ideas?
xj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This project got pushed aside for a while. I bought a daily driver and plan on chopping the roof off my jeep now, so I don't think nim going to revisit this idea. It would be nice to see someone bring it to life though
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
MuddSnapper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
This project got pushed aside for a while. I bought a daily driver and plan on chopping the roof off my jeep now, so I don't think nim going to revisit this idea. It would be nice to see someone bring it to life though
I'm on it.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1990-xj-4-0-renix-build-codename-mudd-1492362/"]Project MUDD[/URL]
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
MuddSnapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.