Submerged my new (to me) Jeep. Help? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Submerged my new (to me) Jeep. Help?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1
Pics pics pics !!!
This this this !

Unread 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a little reluctant to post the pictures because I don't think they're as bad as you guys may think.. But here goes...

How high it was in relation to the airbox.

Blurry, but you get the point. I think I may need a new speaker...

Rear floor.

The lines I was dealing with. I probably took the worst one...

The hole I could've been in. About 6 inches deeper. Probably from me spinning the wheel.

And I took this the day before.

I hope this satisfies everyone. Sorry if it wasn't as bad as you thought. But I'm still worried about it.
The doors keep trying to lock/unlock, my passenger mirror keeps moving on it's own. I might look into getting a replacement door rather than try to fix the electrical problems in this one.
mcbeth059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If you haven't already, you need to get that battery disconnected. And yeah from what I see in the pics it's bad enough.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Those things that are "working" on their own are shorting out. You don't need the extra work of having to replace mirrors and lock actuators if you do fix it. It's highly unlikely but I've even seen flood vehicles catch fire from interior parts like pwr seat motors and such shorting out due to water damage.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
If you haven't already, you need to get that battery disconnected. And yeah from what I see in the pics it's bad enough.
First thing I did was disconnect the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
Those things that are "working" on their own are shorting out. You don't need the extra work of having to replace mirrors and lock actuators if you do fix it. It's highly unlikely but I've even seen flood vehicles catch fire from interior parts like pwr seat motors and such shorting out due to water damage.
And I plan on taking the door panel off and taking a look, as well at at the OBD2 connector considering that was also under water.

I'll post more photos of the progress as it happens.
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Dont worry man, I did this to my jeep and hydrolocked it in the outer banks in North Carolina in a pond i was told was a puddle. A drunk friend told me he drove through it and it was only an inch deep...................................
Well, it wasnt. I got pulled out within 20 mins and I just pulled my plugs and shot the water out, buttoned everyhting back up and drove about 5 miles to the house we were staying and checked all my fluids and changed the diff fluids and the O2 sensors. I got like 30 packs of sta-dry moisture absorbing things and got a small heater and put it in there with the windows cracked. I drove it back to Northern Virginia 3 days later and after that it was pretty much dried out within 3 weeks. I later drove it across the country with no issues and it has run fine ever since. I guess I would have known if I had bent a rod or something.
jeep-sunk.jpeg

TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueDevil View Post
Dont worry man, I did this to my jeep and hydrolocked it in the outer banks in North Carolina in a pond i was told was a puddle. A drunk friend told me he drove through it and it was only an inch deep...................................
Well, it wasnt. I got pulled out within 20 mins and I just pulled my plugs and shot the water out, buttoned everyhting back up and drove about 5 miles to the house we were staying and checked all my fluids and changed the diff fluids and the O2 sensors. I got like 30 packs of sta-dry moisture absorbing things and got a small heater and put it in there with the windows cracked. I drove it back to Northern Virginia 3 days later and after that it was pretty much dried out within 3 weeks. I later drove it across the country with no issues and it has run fine ever since. I guess I would have known if I had bent a rod or something.
I wish it was only 20 minutes for me. I was wet for damn near two days!
and the oil definitely had water in it. I haven't had time to check the other fluids and I've been going back and forth from vacuuming and working on the motor/ fluids.
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The left front being submerged like that is not too horrible. The fuse and junction blocks are on the right side out of the water. There are three large connectors underneath the dash. Two grouped together above the left kick panel and one long one above and forward of the gas pedal. All three use a small bolt and clips to get them apart. Take them apart and clean them out.

Expect to have funky stuff go on with the computer. It is not water proof and sat long enough to get water inside.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #24
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Change a fluids couples times. Rip carpet out. dielectric grease any connector u can. You'll be fine.

Think most of us have been here before lol I no I have. I've been worse but wasn't to concerned with pics at that point lol

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #25
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Well the corrosion is already pretty bad. I`m going to take the computer out later today and see what I`m dealing with there.
Here are a few pics of what I`m dealing with.

The OBDII plug

Corrosion on another connector. (the worst corrsion)

My interior as of last night. It was -2(C) by the time I was done.

Does anyone know how to disconnect the door panel from the door? The lock and door opening mechanism is stopping me from completely removing it.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Been there before! This is after I opened the door, water was another 2" higher on the transmission tunnel. Spokes yanked me out and I said goodbye to carpet the next day
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
Been there before! This is after I opened the door, water was another 2" higher on the transmission tunnel. Spokes yanked me out and I said goodbye to carpet the next day
That red Xj is sexy!

Quote:
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
That red Xj is sexy!
That red XJ gonna be ready for some wheeling around Thanksgiving, gotta work on my axle than Im good to wheel
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post

That red XJ gonna be ready for some wheeling around Thanksgiving, gotta work on my axle than Im good to wheel
Should be. Its sitting at home for next couple weeks. Took my limabean back to school with ms lol I need steering though. My tie rod is all kinds of bent lol hopefully get some ruff stuff.

Quote:
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Change a fluids couples times. Rip carpet out. dielectric grease any connector u can. You'll be fine.

Think most of us have been here before lol I no I have. I've been worse but wasn't to concerned with pics at that point lol
Can't forget the sexy green Jeep in this picture
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.