Submerged my new (to me) Jeep. Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Submerged my new (to me) Jeep. Help?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Submerged my new (to me) Jeep. Help?

My eyes are bigger than my stomach. I'm embarrassed, but more so scared.
It was running for a little while when it was under, but not too long (a couple minutes. Before I turned it off, as I would touch the gas it would stall out...

It's still under now, I'm waiting for the tow company to get they're 4x4 truck fixed. Should be out later today.

The water is up to the base of the steering wheel, but it's just the one side thats submerged.

How screwed am I?

mcbeth059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You are pretty much screwed.

Sorry. Very Very sorry. At Best you need a new engine. At second best you need a new engine and all new electrical.
~ Ain't not place to Jeep like a New York Street ~
DanTreE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Start by draining every possible fluid!! Pull the spark plugs and try turning it over by hand. Let it sit with some cleaner in the cylinders over night to disperse the water. Get an air hose and blow them out. Pull every piece of carpet and seats so mold and rust doesnt continue. Get fans in it to dry it out. Theres still some chance you can save it. I woul dbe concerned about water sucked into the engine as it ran under water and bending a rod.
IDIdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ohh I just reread that.. If it didn't stall on its own and you had to press the gas to make it stall chance are you just sipped the water.. Do what IDIdisiel suggested =)
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
Start by draining every possible fluid!! Pull the spark plugs and try turning it over by hand. Let it sit with some cleaner in the cylinders over night to disperse the water. Get an air hose and blow them out. Pull every piece of carpet and seats so mold and rust doesnt continue. Get fans in it to dry it out. Theres still some chance you can save it. I woul dbe concerned about water sucked into the engine as it ran under water and bending a rod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTreE View Post
Ohh I just reread that.. If it didn't stall on its own and you had to press the gas to make it stall chance are you just sipped the water.. Do what IDIdisiel suggested =)
I'll be sure to do that.
Unfortunately the tow truck won't be able to get it out until tomorrow morning. So it has yet another day to sit in that water.
But I'll be sure drain all the fluids and ensure that everything is good until I try to start it up again.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate it.
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth059 View Post
I'll be sure to do that.
Unfortunately the tow truck won't be able to get it out until tomorrow morning. So it has yet another day to sit in that water.
But I'll be sure drain all the fluids and ensure that everything is good until I try to start it up again.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate it.
What they said is good advice, I'd add to hit any electrical connection that was under water with electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease, this may not be necessary to get it to run but it will prevent corrosion and electrical headaches down the road.

If you have an automatic and it got water in it (as long as the seals are good water will only get in it if it is above the dipstick or vent tube), the trans is probably toast (luckily you can get a good used AW4 for $200-300), but you may get lucky (it is a good idea to change the fluid anyway). If you have a manual it should be fine as long as you change the transmission oil.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You have no other way of recovery? a wench? other jeepers? friends and a rope what ever.. I mean come on my man, id have had everyone I know up there playing tug of war to get it out lol.

where are you located and got pics?
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Don't forget to drain and flush the axles, transmission and maybe gas tank.
This will be a good test of the XJ's endurance abilities.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A good thing to do is check the dipstick first for any water. If NO water is in there pull your spark plugs and crank the motor over with the starter to pop any water out. Only do this wil all the plugs out and a few seconds at a time. I have gotten stuck a handful of times in water to my headlights and been fine. And dont forget take picsof it stuck and any water in it!! Everything is better with pics of your rig stuck!!! If i was any closer to ontario id come help
IDIdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
A good thing to do is check the dipstick first for any water. If NO water is in there pull your spark plugs and crank the motor over with the starter to pop any water out. Only do this wil all the plugs out and a few seconds at a time. I have gotten stuck a handful of times in water to my headlights and been fine. And dont forget take picsof it stuck and any water in it!! Everything is better with pics of your rig stuck!!! If i was any closer to ontario id come help

Yes good advice.

And don't forget to pop the airbox cover and remove the air filter before you crank the motor. Once the filter is out and the spark plugs are out you can crank the motor over and pump any water out that may have entered the cylinders.

Do not try to crank it without removing the spark plugs.

Depending on the conditions of all your breather vent lines you may have gotten lucky with all the rest of your fluids. With that said this might be a good opportunity to drain them all anyway and refill with fresh fluid. Probably time.

So what made you go into a water hole that deep in the first place?
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTreE View Post
You have no other way of recovery? a wench? other jeepers? friends and a rope what ever.. I mean come on my man, id have had everyone I know up there playing tug of war to get it out lol.

where are you located and got pics?
I already had both my brothers and dad's pick-ups on it. And unfortunately because I'm new to Jeep scene I don't know any other wheelers, let alone anyone with with a winch.

I'll have pictures posted up tomorrow afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Don't forget to drain and flush the axles, transmission and maybe gas tank.
This will be a good test of the XJ's endurance abilities.
I hope that they live up to their (good) reputations!

Quote:
I was going check all of the dipsticks before I started draining everything. So I could get a basis of what to expect.

And the water is above the headlights, but only on the drivers side. I'm in a deep rut. The other side is okay (carpet is dry).
Also I appreciate the willingness to help out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Yes good advice.

And don't forget to pop the airbox cover and remove the air filter before you crank the motor. Once the filter is out and the spark plugs are out you can crank the motor over and pump any water out that may have entered the cylinders.

Do not try to crank it without removing the spark plugs.

Depending on the conditions of all your breather vent lines you may have gotten lucky with all the rest of your fluids. With that said this might be a good opportunity to drain them all anyway and refill with fresh fluid. Probably time.

So what made you go into a water hole that deep in the first place?
I'll be sure to get everything out and ready before I try to crank it over.

And I used to ride my dirt bike back through that trail, and I didn't think that it was too deep. What I thought was solid ground was far from it. I ended up sliding into a deep rut and effectively beaching the axles and drives side in the process.
It's bad, but I'm sure that these XJ's have gone through worse and still come out on top. Or maybe I'm just making it sound much worse.

You guys can be the judge when I get the pictures up tomorrow. The tow company couldn't get their truck ready tonight but it's supposed to be ready by tomorrow morning. Hopefully it can survive one more night in the water..
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

oh how many days in the water? its not a boat. all jeeps have a special coating that rusts fast. has been a special coating since 1942.

man the electrical issues will be the worst.........
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Never wheel alone ! Especially without recovery gear, recovery points , and if your new to wheeling. I suggest joining a local club affiliated with united4wd

Last week I should have taken my own advise but I figured I would never get stuck at this local ohv area. I was wrong I got high centered on a rock Luckily my wife was home and drove my XJ up to recover me. But I did have to flush my diffs which I have been wanting to do anyway.
image-2215101620.jpg

image-122576918.jpg

Unread 10-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
oh how many days in the water? its not a boat. all jeeps have a special coating that rusts fast. has been a special coating since 1942.

man the electrical issues will be the worst.........
It got stuck late Sunday afternoon. So almost 2 days.
Once it's out I plan on doing everything I can to prevent rust. Thinking about bedlining under the body, for just a little more protection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Never wheel alone ! Especially without recovery gear, recovery points , and if your new to wheeling. I suggest joining a local club affiliated with united4wd

Last week I should have taken my own advise but I figured I would never get stuck at this local ohv area. I was wrong I got high centered on a rock Luckily my wife was home and drove my XJ up to recover me. But I did have to flush my diffs which I have been wanting to do anyway.
I will definitely take your advice on not wheeling alone, and I was planning on joining a club later this week. And it's good to see that you were able to get your YJ out relatively unscathed!
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Pics pics pics !!!
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.