Sub box for my XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Sub box for my XJ

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
xj9723
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sub box for my XJ

Hi I was wondering if anyone had a good set of plans for a subwoofer box to fit 2 12's thanks guys

xj9723 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

TWO 12's?! I'm an audiophile and I'll never understand that. The best subwoofer box for the XJ that I know of is made by DoubleTapXJ over at CherokeeForum. He makes boxes for 10" and 12" that take-up virtually zero cargo space; with two 12's, you can't avoid rendering a bunch of your cargo space useless. Here's a link: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/xj-...y-10-a-120210/
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Funny...I did the same thing in my 1st XJ, like 10 years ago. Only I made mine out of 3/4" MDF. NOW I am toying with the idea of a fiberglass version to gain more air space inside the box...just need to get my attitude and off-road prowess addressed in my current XJ. There really is A TON of room behind that right rear panel!!!! I'm also toying with the idea of subs in the rear tailgate.
Muddblood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
xj9723
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yea im building a box right now my current one isn't very space effecient does anyone know how truck bedliner would work as a covering
xj9723 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj9723 View Post
Yea im building a box right now my current one isn't very space effecient does anyone know how truck bedliner would work as a covering
Never thought of that, but I imagine it would work just fine. Guess it all really depends on how you want the finished product to look.

I often wonder about using the space under the rear seat as a sub box. 2-12"s though...not much you can do to free up cargo space. I am curious though....if there is so much room behind the passenger side rear cargo trim panel (and there is)...what about the driver's side? If so, maybe 2 free air 12's, one on each side? It'd be SUPER easy to do...screw a piece of 3/4" mdf (1/2" might be ok too) behind the trim, mount the speakers, replace trim, done. Well, you'd also have to cut a hole in each trim panel, but still pretty easy.
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddblood
Never thought of that, but I imagine it would work just fine. Guess it all really depends on how you want the finished product to look. I often wonder about using the space under the rear seat as a sub box. 2-12"s though...not much you can do to free up cargo space. I am curious though....if there is so much room behind the passenger side rear cargo trim panel (and there is)...what about the driver's side? If so, maybe 2 free air 12's, one on each side? It'd be SUPER easy to do...screw a piece of 3/4" mdf (1/2" might be ok too) behind the trim, mount the speakers, replace trim, done. Well, you'd also have to cut a hole in each trim panel, but still pretty easy.
Did you look at my link? There's space on the passenger side for a sealed 12, and the guy makes them. The drivers side won't work because of the gas fill tube. Free air would be terrible. The quarter panel would rattle and distort like mad behind the woofer. I get a ton of rattles, resonation, and distortion in my XJ, and i don't even have a sub yet. Proper sound dampening/deadening/proofing is going in first.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Did you look at my link? There's space on the passenger side for a sealed 12, and the guy makes them. The drivers side won't work because of the gas fill tube. Free air would be terrible. The quarter panel would rattle and distort like mad behind the woofer. I get a ton of rattles, resonation, and distortion in my XJ, and i don't even have a sub yet. Proper sound dampening/deadening/proofing is going in first.

Sent from my phone
I saw the link. Yes, free air's would sound terrible if no sound deadening material was used. I'll dig around to see if I can find a pic of my sub box. It aint't pretty, but it hit pretty hard.

So does the gas filler tube completely seal the driver's side? If not, you'd only lose maybe .5 cuft? Idk...just thoughts that have been rattling in my head for years...finally got an other XJ so maybe I can play with some of these ideas (again, once the off road attitude and prowess is addressed).
Unread 11-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
pmondo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
TWO 12's?! I'm an audiophile and I'll never understand that. The best subwoofer box for the XJ that I know of is made by DoubleTapXJ over at CherokeeForum. He makes boxes for 10" and 12" that take-up virtually zero cargo space; with two 12's, you can't avoid rendering a bunch of your cargo space useless. Here's a link: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/xj-...y-10-a-120210/
Yeah.....was going to buy a box from him "ready to go with new sub in it"......needless to say, excuse after excuse of why it didnt ship after 3 WEEKS! I asked for a refund and got off my lazy azz and built one.
pmondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
usawrestler95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have one 10" and trust me, it's definitely enough. I have a rockford fosgate 10" sub with a 250w rms amp. I don't know how you could use 2 12's haha.
usawrestler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
lilBlackXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm using my old shallow 12" in a sealed truck box that was in my regular cab sonoma. I turned it so the sub faces the seat and takes up at best, 4 inches back from the seat. and runs most the width of the seat with enough room for my amp next to it. The box that goes in the pocket of the quarter panel would be a good one also. But honestly, I see no need for more than one sub in an XJ. I wouldn't even use a 12 if it wasn't something I had sitting around collecting dust.
lilBlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Found this, but it looks like the rear seat has been removed:
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclo...-cherokee.html.

Pic is down a few comments.
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
pmondo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not finished yet but this is what I built. Gonna change a few things and carpet it. Its ported for an sundown audio e8v3, this thing sounds better than 2-10s.......
fdb31.jpeg

11db1.jpeg

Unread 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
usawrestler95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow that box looks great! Nice job!
usawrestler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Not 2 12's but an idea:

http://www.chalacha.com/chadsjeep/jeep.html

Seems EVERYONE is using that little cubbie...not for 2 12's but I'd imagine a box could be built for ONE 12.
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
pmondo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddblood View Post
Not 2 12's but an idea:

http://www.chalacha.com/chadsjeep/jeep.html

Seems EVERYONE is using that little cubbie...not for 2 12's but I'd imagine a box could be built for ONE 12.
Thats a nice box, have always wanted to mess with fiberglass but never did.

The cubbie is easy to build, and a 12 would be no problem to fit. But I tell ya, that sundown 8" sub will put a hurtin on most 12s.

Tags
speakers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.