Strength of the stock bumper mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Strength of the stock bumper mounts

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Strength of the stock bumper mounts

In building my rear bumper it has come to mind that every aftermarket bumper I have seen mounts to the stock location.

The bumper I am building will have some stainless D-rings hung on it but wont be used for a recovery point. (the class III hitch is for that) Also the entire reason for building this bumper was to mount a spare tire carrier onto it, however I'm going to go with a stock carrier from a nissan/toyota/blazer and fab some mounts to mount it on the cherokee. But now I'm so far into building the bumper that I'm going to finish it.

So, my question with all this in mind would be....why not use the original mounts?

I know that they will be nowhere near as strong as something like a 1/4 plate mount....but they were good enough for the stock bumper and I bent the HELL outta the stock bumper. (wrapped a tow strap around it and used it as a recovery point....)

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I think you should also tie it into the tow hitch for more support. Look at the detours tailbone, and do the same for tie-ins.
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

stock bumper mounts are not strong...it would be entirely different if it was designed body on frame like wrangler. You will need to tie into other mounts as well as the usual bumper mounts.
Owner of a 1 owner 93 XJ county trim, 4.0, AT, 8.25 rear and 3.5 gears. It has goodies like pw/pl, cc, tilt, cd changer, keyless entry, rear wiper and defrost...overall a nice old jeep, my fifth owning previous wanglers and commander
[/COLOR] also own/restored a 1972 Pontiac Lemans GT originally owned by my grandmom....39k original miles.
my 72 pontiac musclecar
lathan888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.