Stock XJ to Off-Road XJ Conversion - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Stock XJ to Off-Road XJ Conversion

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeters
Are you saying a completely stock Jeep can go on all of the Uwharrie trails?
All but possibly the Daniel if its your first time.. There are bypasses for almost every major obstacle.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I was thinking, just for the time being, get one of those 2" Budget lifts with some BF Goodrich All Terrains...

Cheap, but my Jeep would be ready to see some Uwharrie this summer...

Nothing crazy of course, but it would let me see what type of s**t I could get myself into so I know what to build my Jeep to...
Teeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That would work if money is tight and you really just want to get out on the trail.

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
redding1327
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Just a note, the BFG all terrain is a great tire for on/off road use. I ran them on my XJ for a couple of years, never had a complaint. I finally got some decent more aggressive tires this last fall. I kinda wish I had gone with them again but the price I paid for my off road tires was too good to pass on. I also have to agree with the comment on rough country lifts, I have a 4.5 lift from them. My jeep does great on the trail but on the road it rides like a gravity wagon. I had to change to skyjacker shocks to take out some of the "stiffness" if you will. It's better now, but it's still a rough ride.

And that's my two cents.
redding1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you can spend just a little more I recommend piecing it together to keep costs down but increase quality.

I run OME HD leaf spring packs in the rear and net you +- 3" of lift. They also ride FANTASTIC. The more weight the better.

Grab a set of Rough Country 3" springs direct from RC. Ask for the Jeep Forum Discount.

Grab a set of JK Rubicon shocks ( the red ones) for about $50 as pull offs when somebody else goes bigger. They're perfect for the XJ at 3-4" of lift. All you need to do is push out some sleeves for your bar pins from the old shocks.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/i...ite-up-603221/

Pending your Jeeps age I'd throw in a new steering stabilizer for good measure with those 31's and possibly a T-case drop. Pretty much ready to run some light trails and have a good looking DD at that point.

Should be able to have a very nice riding trail/DD rig for ~$350.
V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.