Stock XJ to Off-Road XJ Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Stock XJ to Off-Road XJ Conversion

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 04-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Stock XJ to Off-Road XJ Conversion

I've got a completely stock 1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ, with a 4.0 HO engine. My knowledge leads me to believe I have a AW4 transmission... It's got 235/70/15 tires...

I bought it with 141,208 miles on it... The last owner/first owner kept great care, the interior/exterior was in immaculate condition. The engine has a oil leak, which I am going to track down and fix pretty soon.

So, my question is, what will it take to make me be able to take it down the Uhwarrie Trails this summer?

What would I have to do such as lift kits, engine modifications, etc. etc.

Note: I am married with kids, so I can't dump thousands and thousands into her, but I do want to get it trail worthy.

Teeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Best advice go into some of the builds and look around. Get some ideas and things you would like to do. Then search. These type of topics have been covered a million times and you'll find some great information on costs, brands and what you'll need
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

This is what i've put together so far....

3" Suspension Lift Kit $255.95 from Rough Country

4 Baja ATZ Radial Plus 31x10.50 R15 $187.29 each from Rough Country (This will be my daily driver, so need someone good road tires)

Mickey Thompson Classic III Black Bolt Pattern 5x4.5 $199.02 each from Rough Country

2 Tow Hooks $12.95 each from Rough Country

Front Winch Bumper $379.95 from Rough Country

RS9500 Electric Winch $299.95 from Rough Country

Tire Carrier $179.99 from Kevins Off Road

These are some of the basics i've thought of so far. I am still wondering about getting the front "lunchbox" locker... Still wondering about skid plates...

I'm still trying to figure out what/if any engine modifications I should make...

Would I be putting too much stress on my transmission or anything with those tires? Should I consider swapping out the transmission or is my transmission good enough?
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
jordanread
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeters View Post
Would I be putting too much stress on my transmission or anything with those tires? Should I consider swapping out the transmission or is my transmission good enough?
From what I understand and have read in some of the other forums around here, 31s will be fine as far as your transmission goes. One thing to keep in mind though...people have run 31s without anything other than a lift/bumpstops to keep them from rubbing. That being said, anytime you put larger tires on a vehicle, especially the XJ w/ rear drum brakes, you want to upgrade your steering and your brakes. Not required per se, and people have managed not doing this, but if it's going to be your daily driver, I'd suggest at least getting that stuff on the list.

[B]Boris
2000 XJ Sport - From stock to unstoppable.
[/B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-surviving-adventure-1530551/"]Building Boris - Surviving the Adventure[/URL] (The fun)
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-details-1530552/"]Building Boris - The Details[/URL] (The write-ups)
jordanread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I am thinking of doing a disc brake conversion so all of my brakes are the same... About the steering, what do you think I should do to change that?
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
jordanread
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeters View Post
I am thinking of doing a disc brake conversion so all of my brakes are the same... About the steering, what do you think I should do to change that?
Not sure about that. I'm not yet at the point where I know enough to figure out exactly what I need to do. Disc brake conversion is next on my list as well, just as soon as I get the media situation handled.

[B]Boris
2000 XJ Sport - From stock to unstoppable.
[/B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-surviving-adventure-1530551/"]Building Boris - Surviving the Adventure[/URL] (The fun)
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-details-1530552/"]Building Boris - The Details[/URL] (The write-ups)
jordanread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I know how it is I am Married with kids also. Take a look at my build thread. I have kept my build on the cheap side, But I used Good parts. My Xj is very capable and can be used as a DD If needed.

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

For that bumper I believe you need d-rings not hooks.

Also, try to avoid Rough Country as they don't usually have the best ride. At the very least don't run RC shocks.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

So no Rough Country lift kit?

Okay... What would you prefer to put on an XJ to take it say, Uwharrie?
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
For that bumper I believe you need d-rings not hooks.

Also, try to avoid Rough Country as they don't usually have the best ride. At the very least don't run RC shocks.
Thats not necessarily true. I run the 2.2 shocks and they are okay. I paid 50 bucks a piece for them and Im happy with them for what I paid.

However if your going to cheap out on shocks, dont get the AAL. You'll be kicking yourself if you do. I went with the OME leafpacks and cheaped out on shocks because I was running low on funds. Im happy with it.

For lift kits check out Old Man Emu and check out Iron Rock Offroad. Also, im not sure about the RC bumpers but search around there are some great ones from different companies and also individual fabricators
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

check out my thread, married with kids and a low paying govt contract
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
check out my thread, married with kids and a low paying govt contract
This guy's build is awesome, read the first stages of it to get an idea on what you should do.

IRO, Rubicon Express, and OME are nice, though OME is very expensive.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #13
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Good thing i'm planning on getting a Winch bumper for my Jeep.

Got it stuck in the mud yesterday and had to get pulled out, bending my bumper all over the place... The chain even ripped through some of the bumper...
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Look at Detours Off road. They make a winch plate system that uses your stock bumper. Its cheaper then a full steel bumper and will give you some front tow points and the ability of having a winch.. As for Uwharrie you'll be fine stock. Ive been up there a few times and have seen all kinds of rigs up there, actually saw an older Subaru out on there last time I went. But if your trying to keep it mild a 3" lift and 31s will be more then fine and will be able to handle every trail Uwharrie has to offer.

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Are you saying a completely stock Jeep can go on all of the Uwharrie trails?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.