post #1 of Old 09-27-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
mtnsammy
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Still hooked with new 90 virgin Jeep

I tried to stop but I got a sweet deal on a 1990 4 door auto. It is basic white with no frills and never modified. Cost......$1000. 100% stock. We all know what that means, more to spend on.

So I started with the basics, like smogging it. With an oil change, cap rotor and plugs, filters she was the cleanest of the month... whatever. At least I do not have a 180,000 jeep that is toast.

Now There are some repairs to make it comfortable. AC is empty but still set up for r12. Ujoints and shocks sound original but I have 4 different makes for my shocks. Ujoints were one solid blob of oil. Blasted clean and now they all rattle. Better now than on a trail or away from home.

Later, lift, bumpers, interior roll cage welded in, seat I can sit in for several hours, sounds, gutting rear out and making it all open for dead animals and equipment.

I have little desire for extreme off roading and actually was thinking of only going to 225 tires maybe TKO's? I was hoping to get some feedback and pics. I do not want to make this a road toad that gets 9MPG and cannot climb freeways and hills. My last Cherokee did well with 225's but scraped a lot on bad trails. I just cannot picture 2" lift with 225's and summer Jeeps are almost gone in Big Bear so I cannot just poke around till next year. Definitely staying just a tad over an asphalt crawler but looks are important.

Glad to be back.

post #2 of Old 09-27-2013, 09:02 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome back. Sounds like you're off to a good start with this one.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA

COTY 2009

post #3 of Old 09-28-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
mtnsammy
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Looked at several Jeeps in the desert today. I like the look with 285s and 30's. Still I am not positive so since money will be the limit I will start to save for tires and a lift and see what comes up.