And it started! (Engine Swap) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > And it started! (Engine Swap)

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
TonyIN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

And it started! (Engine Swap)

Posted a couple months ago about a junkyard motor swap into my almost 300k 2001 Cherokee Sport. Lot of good info on this board.
Anyways, after giving the donor motor a freshen-up and pulling the old, I was real happy this afternoon when I hit the key and it started right up. (Haven't swapped an engine in about 30 yrs....).
All is good. Would have completed it sooner, but time only allowed me to work on it about 4 hours a week, usually for 45 minutes at a time...
So, thanks to all of you who post on this forum for the wealth of info.
One important tip for re-install of that engine: leave the motor mounts off until you get the tranny lined up.

Thanks

Tony

TonyIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on the success! Were you the original owner of the 300k mile Jeep? If so, what repairs/maintenance did you do on it? What oil did you run?

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
TonyIN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm 2nd owner, bought off a dealer. It had 31k on it when I got it. From the looks of things probably had ok maintenance (at best) to that point. Looks like someone towed a small trailer or light boat.

For me, it's been a great daily driver - here's it's brief story:
It sees light off road use - I do construction management during the day, so off road happens, but not seriously. We don't seem to have snow plows out here either...
I put air shocks on the back years ago - carry tools daily and music equip. on weekends. Got tired of the back end always sagging with a load. So, most of those 300k miles has involved 100 to 250 lbs +/- over the rear axle.
I did replace the rear end years ago - it had a whine in it from when I bought it. Still does to an extent today, but not bad. No wear evident...
Other replacement items have included water pump, head (rear freeze plug went at 175k so while it was off and the crack history of some heads, I just replaced it), and a radiator. That's it.
Oil changes happen about every 2500 to 3500 miles, usually with the Valvoline High Mileage stuff. Nothing special about that brand, just usually available and I change it frequent enough... Lately I've been using the Rotella Diesel for my truck and tractors with the Napa/Wix filters. Will probably go with that on this girl now. BTW - the junkyard motor I got has 88k on it.
Other regular maintenance was per the manual.
It could use a new heater core, but it's not that bad yet.
It's all stock so far. Resisted the urge to stroke the donor engine....

I picked up a used 03 Liberty 5spd when the Cherokee died, and figured I would get the Cherokee running again and give it to my 16yr old (he helped put it back together...). But now I'm thinking of giving him the Liberty... I like the Cherokee better. Things like the area in back of the seats work better for me. It also seems to have more torque/guts when loaded.

Hope I answered your questions...
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What caused you to swap the engine aside from just high mileage? Any noises, excessive oil consumption, etc.?
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
TonyIN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The engine swap was caused from excessive noise. I've had what sounded like a wrist pin knocking since about 160k. Figured when everything went I would rebuild it then.
On the way home one day in February, it got a lot noisier. So I babied it home and parked it. Was going to rebuild, but time is very tight right now, so went the used route. Finally got around to getting an engine late May.
Now that its back on the road, I'm going to open up the old engine and see what it was. Then, not sure what I'll do with the engine...
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
fergusoneddie
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyIN View Post
The engine swap was caused from excessive noise. I've had what sounded like a wrist pin knocking since about 160k. Figured when everything went I would rebuild it then.
On the way home one day in February, it got a lot noisier. So I babied it home and parked it. Was going to rebuild, but time is very tight right now, so went the used route. Finally got around to getting an engine late May.
Now that its back on the road, I'm going to open up the old engine and see what it was. Then, not sure what I'll do with the engine...
If you decide to sell the engine. Let me know! Looking for a rebuild project over the winter for my sons 2001 Cherokee.

-ed
fergusoneddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
TonyIN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusoneddie View Post
If you decide to sell the engine. Let me know! Looking for a rebuild project over the winter for my sons 2001 Cherokee.

-ed
I'll get back with you after I open her up (I'll open gently...) - I don't have a need for that motor anymore.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
fergusoneddie
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyIN

I'll get back with you after I open her up (I'll open gently...) - I don't have a need for that motor anymore.
Great!!! My sons motor is starting to show some classic issues. I think we can nurse it through winter, but I'd love to have a fresh rebuild waiting in the wings. All I can ask is that you keep me in mind, when you decide to part with it.

Thanks,
Ed
fergusoneddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.