Stalker? No. Nuts? Likely. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Stalker? No. Nuts? Likely.

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 07-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Stalker? No. Nuts? Likely.

Well, we spent the weekend searching high and low for a budget Jeep. Part project toy for me, part for my 16yo to get back and forth to work. Hey, the idea worked on the wife.....

Anyway, we struck out this weekend and went home empty handed. Fast forward to today and I'm out and about between jobs and find myself along side a car lot. I turn in and am cruisin the back lot when I spy a XJ doing the same thing. It caught my eye but he was heading out and I let it drop. Nothing doing in the lot so I too headed out. About a mile down the road I find myself behind this same XJ. What the hell, must be fate, I start following. All the way to where he works at. I pull up behind him and call him over as he gets out. Plain and simply I explain that I saw him cruising the lot and ask him if he's interested in sellin. $1000 and it mine.

It's a '98 and not perfect. He's had it 10 years, has a crap ton of miles and needs some cleaning and TLC. But it has 4 square corners and limited rust. He's still driving it 60 miles to and from work everyday. For a $1000 it can't be all bad.

I'll post pics when I actually take possession.

Moral of the story......... Doesn't hurt to ask.

L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

What's your idea of a crap ton of miles?
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
What's your idea of a crap ton of miles?
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The 4.0L engine is this album had 220,000 miles on it when it was torn apart. The journals were still within factory specifications. There were still hash marks on the cylinder walls. The worst and minor issue of the engine was some valves did not seal completely.
http://imgur.com/a/e8vip#0

As long as 4.0L engines get regular maintenance they should never have major problems.
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, easily one of the most reliable gas motors ever built. Even with just basic maintenance they'll outlast the unibody and there are a significant number out there with 300k+ on them. There's a guy out in CO with an 88 with over 650k on his motor and trans and hes never done anything but routine maintenance.
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mine has 234k on it and out YJ 4.0 has 228k on it.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, it's pretty obvious that we can keep these XJ's and other vehicles going long past common sense with varying degrees of TLC but no matter how much we thump our chest 220K is well beyond one foot in the grave without major work. It ain't only a motor issue. Miles are enemies, time is enemies, 2 principles of vehicle ownership that never change. Me? I'd rather be braggin about buying a 110K XJ for a $1000 but this one will do for now.

Got a call from the owner today, he's ready to do the deal. Probably happen this weekend.
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
Yep, it's pretty obvious that we can keep these XJ's and other vehicles going long past common sense with varying degrees of TLC but no matter how much we thump our chest 220K is well beyond one foot in the grave without major work. It ain't only a motor issue. Miles are enemies, time is enemies, 2 principles of vehicle ownership that never change. Me? I'd rather be braggin about buying a 110K XJ for a $1000 but this one will do for now.

Got a call from the owner today, he's ready to do the deal. Probably happen this weekend.
That is true with most engines, not so much the 4.0L. The 4.0L is like a diesel engine with spark plugs. It is built to last and will take a beating, but maintenance is key, just like with diesels. 220k is not bad if it was maintained, just like others have said.

I've seen maintained 4.0L's with close to 300k miles on them that run quieter than others with under 100k.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Picked it up yesterday, cleaned up pretty good. Went out this morning to replace a u-joint the PO said needed done (he already purchased it), in doing so I blew out the rear brake line. Brake line replaced and bled (and bled and bled) and brakes are still very soft. Brake light comes on. Oh well, check rear breaks, shoes are bare.

The story of $1000 jeeps.........
Unread 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

hey, i'd give $1000 for a 98 in decent condition, with 220k and brag about it. I'd also expect to put a few hundred into it, between breaks, u-joints, filters, plugs, wires, ect. I'd still brag.

Heck, I paid $3600 for my 98, and I brag about it. It had lower milage, of course, but still needed u-joints, plugs, wires, ect.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
hey, i'd give $1000 for a 98 in decent condition, with 220k and brag about it. I'd also expect to put a few hundred into it, between breaks, u-joints, filters, plugs, wires, ect. I'd still brag.

Heck, I paid $3600 for my 98, and I brag about it. It had lower milage, of course, but still needed u-joints, plugs, wires, ect.
Don't go lookin at my post as frustration, I fully expected to have to turn a few wrenches on this going in. In reality, I'm planning on completely redoing the breaks, the front end, the cooling system and service most if not all of the drivetrain. Did I want to blow a breakline and find the rear breaks completely trashed within 24 hours of buying it? Heck no. Was it all that much of a surprise? Not in the least.

As it is this was the third breakline I've had blow on vehicles 2000 or older in recent years. Anymore this has been added to my "must do" list for any older vehicle I buy. Right up there with belts and hoses, idler/tensioner pulleys, tune up and new fluids. Iowa winters are hard on them there brake lines.
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

The title of this thread cracks me up. Every time I see it I read "stalker no nuts" ha thanks for the laugh.
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

How's the progress?

Also, make sure and include your son when working on the Jeep since it will be his ride. If he helps fix it up he will surely appreciate it more.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
How's the progress?

Also, make sure and include your son when working on the Jeep since it will be his ride. If he helps fix it up he will surely appreciate it more.
Daughter, and it ain't her ride, it's mine and she can borrow it for work and school till she saves up money for her own.

Progress is coming right along. Brakes are done. Plugs, oil and filters done. Duplicolor bumper coated the faded black trim, took a heat gun and denatured alcohol to the half gone "Cherokee" and "Sport" monikers. Next on the list is replacing a bad front U-joint, change out the remaining fluids and locate/repair a small coolant leak. After that I'm on to the mods........
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Non abs brakes? If so.. After bleeding.. Stand on the brake as hard as you can. Needs 450psi to reset the valve sensor. :-)
Flyordie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.