JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Stalker? No. Nuts? Likely. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/stalker-no-nuts-likely-1555275/)

L_Kilkenny 07-29-2013 03:25 PM

Stalker? No. Nuts? Likely.

Well, we spent the weekend searching high and low for a budget Jeep. Part project toy for me, part for my 16yo to get back and forth to work. Hey, the idea worked on the wife.....

Anyway, we struck out this weekend and went home empty handed. Fast forward to today and I'm out and about between jobs and find myself along side a car lot. I turn in and am cruisin the back lot when I spy a XJ doing the same thing. It caught my eye but he was heading out and I let it drop. Nothing doing in the lot so I too headed out. About a mile down the road I find myself behind this same XJ. What the hell, must be fate, I start following. All the way to where he works at. I pull up behind him and call him over as he gets out. Plain and simply I explain that I saw him cruising the lot and ask him if he's interested in sellin. $1000 and it mine.

It's a '98 and not perfect. He's had it 10 years, has a crap ton of miles and needs some cleaning and TLC. But it has 4 square corners and limited rust. He's still driving it 60 miles to and from work everyday. For a $1000 it can't be all bad.

I'll post pics when I actually take possession.

Moral of the story......... Doesn't hurt to ask.

Motorcharge 07-29-2013 04:47 PM

What's your idea of a crap ton of miles?

L_Kilkenny 07-30-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorcharge (Post 15732619)
What's your idea of a crap ton of miles?

LimeLJ 07-30-2013 06:38 PM

The 4.0L engine is this album had 220,000 miles on it when it was torn apart. The journals were still within factory specifications. There were still hash marks on the cylinder walls. The worst and minor issue of the engine was some valves did not seal completely.
http://imgur.com/a/e8vip#0

As long as 4.0L engines get regular maintenance they should never have major problems.

Motorcharge 07-30-2013 06:44 PM

Yep, easily one of the most reliable gas motors ever built. Even with just basic maintenance they'll outlast the unibody and there are a significant number out there with 300k+ on them. There's a guy out in CO with an 88 with over 650k on his motor and trans and hes never done anything but routine maintenance.

AmbuGrl 07-31-2013 08:42 AM

Mine has 234k on it and out YJ 4.0 has 228k on it.

L_Kilkenny 08-01-2013 12:53 PM

Yep, it's pretty obvious that we can keep these XJ's and other vehicles going long past common sense with varying degrees of TLC but no matter how much we thump our chest 220K is well beyond one foot in the grave without major work. It ain't only a motor issue. Miles are enemies, time is enemies, 2 principles of vehicle ownership that never change. Me? I'd rather be braggin about buying a 110K XJ for a $1000 but this one will do for now.

Got a call from the owner today, he's ready to do the deal. Probably happen this weekend.

jeepkid03 08-02-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny (Post 15744627)
Yep, it's pretty obvious that we can keep these XJ's and other vehicles going long past common sense with varying degrees of TLC but no matter how much we thump our chest 220K is well beyond one foot in the grave without major work. It ain't only a motor issue. Miles are enemies, time is enemies, 2 principles of vehicle ownership that never change. Me? I'd rather be braggin about buying a 110K XJ for a $1000 but this one will do for now.

Got a call from the owner today, he's ready to do the deal. Probably happen this weekend.

That is true with most engines, not so much the 4.0L. The 4.0L is like a diesel engine with spark plugs. It is built to last and will take a beating, but maintenance is key, just like with diesels. 220k is not bad if it was maintained, just like others have said.

I've seen maintained 4.0L's with close to 300k miles on them that run quieter than others with under 100k.

L_Kilkenny 08-04-2013 08:15 PM

Picked it up yesterday, cleaned up pretty good. Went out this morning to replace a u-joint the PO said needed done (he already purchased it), in doing so I blew out the rear brake line. Brake line replaced and bled (and bled and bled) and brakes are still very soft. Brake light comes on. Oh well, check rear breaks, shoes are bare.

The story of $1000 jeeps.........

Trons 08-05-2013 04:09 PM

hey, i'd give $1000 for a 98 in decent condition, with 220k and brag about it. I'd also expect to put a few hundred into it, between breaks, u-joints, filters, plugs, wires, ect. I'd still brag.

Heck, I paid $3600 for my 98, and I brag about it. It had lower milage, of course, but still needed u-joints, plugs, wires, ect.

L_Kilkenny 08-06-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trons (Post 15759841)
hey, i'd give $1000 for a 98 in decent condition, with 220k and brag about it. I'd also expect to put a few hundred into it, between breaks, u-joints, filters, plugs, wires, ect. I'd still brag.

Heck, I paid $3600 for my 98, and I brag about it. It had lower milage, of course, but still needed u-joints, plugs, wires, ect.

Don't go lookin at my post as frustration, I fully expected to have to turn a few wrenches on this going in. In reality, I'm planning on completely redoing the breaks, the front end, the cooling system and service most if not all of the drivetrain. Did I want to blow a breakline and find the rear breaks completely trashed within 24 hours of buying it? Heck no. Was it all that much of a surprise? Not in the least.

As it is this was the third breakline I've had blow on vehicles 2000 or older in recent years. Anymore this has been added to my "must do" list for any older vehicle I buy. Right up there with belts and hoses, idler/tensioner pulleys, tune up and new fluids. Iowa winters are hard on them there brake lines.

MOBBiN 08-06-2013 01:56 PM

The title of this thread cracks me up. Every time I see it I read "stalker no nuts" ha thanks for the laugh.

jeepkid03 08-09-2013 04:40 PM

How's the progress?

Also, make sure and include your son when working on the Jeep since it will be his ride. If he helps fix it up he will surely appreciate it more. :thumbsup:

L_Kilkenny 08-14-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepkid03 (Post 15776331)
How's the progress?

Also, make sure and include your son when working on the Jeep since it will be his ride. If he helps fix it up he will surely appreciate it more. :thumbsup:

Daughter, and it ain't her ride, it's mine and she can borrow it for work and school till she saves up money for her own. :D

Progress is coming right along. Brakes are done. Plugs, oil and filters done. Duplicolor bumper coated the faded black trim, took a heat gun and denatured alcohol to the half gone "Cherokee" and "Sport" monikers. Next on the list is replacing a bad front U-joint, change out the remaining fluids and locate/repair a small coolant leak. After that I'm on to the mods........

Flyordie 08-24-2013 10:00 AM

Non abs brakes? If so.. After bleeding.. Stand on the brake as hard as you can. Needs 450psi to reset the valve sensor. :-)

The time now is 01:04 PM.