Spraying degreaser inside engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Spraying degreaser inside engine?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Mike934

Spraying degreaser inside engine?

Just got on my massive oil leak...yes on Christmas Eve..couldn't stand it anymore.
Oil filter housing had NO o-rings left and was jb welded to stop the leak. Fixed that & upgraded to a 97+ housings which have larger ports for oil to pass & drain compared to earlier versions. Installed a 97+ valve cover & new victor reinz "blue" gasket.
Oil pan & rear main is tomorrow. Then fill her with 15w40 rotella.

Anyway the valve cover & oil filter housing has a filmy build up of nasty black...oil? Sludge? Anyway when I pull the pan tomorrow I'm expecting to see that crap all over the rods, crank, ect. It's not mucky or muddy type of sludge, just a built up layer.

I was curious if I could or if it was safe to spray degreaser up/into the bottom end while I have the pan off to help clean things up?

Unread 12-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
swampratt36

rotella in a gas engine ??? wow good luck . its good oil and i swear by it in my 500 detroit and my 600 cummins just never heard anybody running it in a dd gas engine lol.
swampratt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampratt36 View Post
rotella in a gas engine ??? wow good luck . its good oil and i swear by it in my 500 detroit and my 600 cummins just never heard anybody running it in a dd gas engine lol.
It is common to run Diesel oil in the 4.0L I6. Diesel oil has more ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates ) which is beneficial to engines with flat-tappet lifers/cam. It can be harmful to catalytic converters in more modern vehicles (mid 2000s+) which have smaller passages in the cat due to increased emissions requirements, this combined with the fact that just about all modern engines have roller rockers and roller lifters (if OHV) is why ZDDP was reduced in most standard automotive oil. This is not an issue with XJ Cherokees (or most other vehicles from that era.) since when they were produced every garden variety oil had as much or more ZDDP as Rotella/Delvac. The higher detergent content of these oils also tends to be beneficial in cleaning higher-mileage engines.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampratt36 View Post

Been doing it in my 88 with the original motor & the new stroker. And my 92 before that. Totaling over 7 years with no issue.
However I prefer 5w40, the 15w40 was on sale anyway yes it does fine.
I started the stroker out with the recommended 10w30 but I can hear the motor working. Offroading it gets louder (heat). Just the lifters & rockers tapping away. Everything's new in spec nothing reused. This was in my fresh stroker, with tight clearances..meaning it should be quieter. Back to the tried 40 weight rotella and its perfect even under extreme heat while wheeling.
Doesn't burn a drop!

Anyway any advice on spraying out the bottom end with degreaser?
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
Been doing it in my 88 with the original motor & the new stroker. And my 92 before that. Totaling over 7 years with no issue.
However I prefer 5w40, the 15w40 was on sale anyway yes it does fine.
I started the stroker out with the recommended 10w30 but I can hear the motor working. Offroading it gets louder (heat). Just the lifters & rockers tapping away. Everything's new in spec nothing reused. This was in my fresh stroker, with tight clearances..meaning it should be quieter. Back to the tried 40 weight rotella and its perfect even under extreme heat while wheeling.
Doesn't burn a drop!

Anyway any advice on spraying out the bottom end with degreaser?
Don't do it.

Could be corrosives in the degreaser which could damage bearings.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

X2. Don't introduce any kind of de-greaser the internals of your engine. Chances are your not going to find the 'sludge' you described on the rotating assembly of your engine simply because it is constantly moving at a high speed. The build ups tend to happen on non moving parts.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Run STP Multipurpose Motor Treatment in the crankcase for 15 minutes prior to an oil change.
Unread 12-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

X3 on top of the potential to be corrosive and the fact that there is unlikely to be sludge on the rotating assembly, degreaser will strip all oil from the bearings (there is a film left behind even with the oil drained) so it will be like starting a new engine that had been put together without assembly lube or priming the oil pump which will drastically shorten the life of the bearings.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Engine oil has detergents in the additive package to clean the inside of your motor. Simply change oil a bit more often. My 1999 will turn over 200,000 miles this week, gets the oil changed every 4,000 miles, has 45 psi oil pressure, and gets 20 mpg's on the highway.

IDK what the inside of the motor looks like, it runs fine.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I change mine religiously ever 3k (get free oil at work so I pay a whole $4 to change my oil) and seafoam every other oil change with a 1/3 of a can of it in the old oil for about 50 miles before the oil change. I know for a fact the inside of my motor is clean as hell.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Engine oil has detergents in the additive package to clean the inside of your motor. Simply change oil a bit more often. My 1999 will turn over 200,000 miles this week, gets the oil changed every 4,000 miles, has 45 psi oil pressure, and gets 20 mpg's on the highway.

IDK what the inside of the motor looks like, it runs fine.

This is my "new" to me jeep. First oil change lol.gonna run some additives and change it in 2k & see how it looks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.