Speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Speakers

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 05-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
TebbsJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Speakers

I'm going to upgrade my speakers in my 99 xj soon, and I'm just curious as to what you guys are running. I know we are limited because of space restraints, but I would like a good sounding speaker.

Unread 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have Pioneer in mine,but also have a box with two 10" MTX subs and amp.You need a high powered head unit to make any aftermarket speakers sound good.
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TebbsJeep View Post
I'm going to upgrade my speakers in my 99 xj soon, and I'm just curious as to what you guys are running. I know we are limited because of space restraints, but I would like a good sounding speaker.
I got 2 12 inch kickers that make my whole Jeep shake ha.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
ShaysXJnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You need a high powered head unit to make any aftermarket speakers sound good.
This is so very true. I have three different head units in all three Jeeps. I have moved around the 2 12" memphis subs in all three and they sound the best with the Sony Xplode unit I have. It has good power, plus I'm able to independently control the subwoofer level, not just the 'bass'.
ShaysXJnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Kenwood head unit.
Sony X-plode tri-mode amp (65w x2, 150 x1) under rear seat.
Infinity (can't recall if Kappa or Reference) 5.25 co-ax in the doors, powered by the head unit.
Blaupunkt 6x9s in wedge boxes, and a 6" Bazooka tube in the back, powered by the Sony amp.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I 'm running a Sony X-plode head unit and X-plode 6.5 inch speakers for the front doors and rear sound bar. They fit right in the sound bar, but for the doors I raised the speaker mounting holes up slightly to center the speaker. No trimming necessary. I also used the harness adapters for the head unit and speakers, so it was plug and play.
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
TebbsJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I already have a pretty good head unit. My stock speakers are trashed now so hence the need to upgrade. I noticed the little amount of space for the door speakers. Did any of you run into clearance issues? I'll just be doing the four speakers for now and see how they sound. If I feel like I need it, I'll put in a sub and an amp to run it all. I want it all to sound good, and not just bass blasting my ears.
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

On mine, everything looks stock. The speakers are behind the factory grills and door panels.
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
TebbsJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I listen mostly to metal/rock. Does that affect what speakers I should be looking for?
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Choosing speakers is mostly based on quality of materials and how much power they need to be able to handle. There are minor variations in frequencies put out, but especially for someone like you, that's irrelevant stuff. Make friends with Crutchfield.com. They make shopping very easy. If you tell them your vehicle, they'll show you everything that fits and even stuff that will fit with a little modification (they tell you which is which), and if you order with your vehicle info put in, you get an installation sheet tailored specifically to your model and, probably, some installation accessories for free. They also have reference material on their site that explains all that you want to know and more.

Honestly, if your original speakers aren't broken, just replacing them with aftermarket speakers isn't going to make that big a difference all by itself. If you get a higher powered head unit or, even better, an amp to power aftermarket speakers, things will sound better. If you also install crossovers to block the bass that small speakers can handle and to block the treble that subwoofers can't handle, everything will sound way better.

Don't be afraid of subwoofers. For some reason (idiots who install huge subs cranked to max and nothing else) people seem to think that subwoofers are evil, annoying bass machines. If you want to hear the low frequencies at all, you NEED a subwoofer. The little 5.25", 6.5", and even 6x9" speakers in vehicles physically cannot produce sounds below a relatively mid-range frequency. You can force them to try, but your sound quality will suffer greatly for it. A single 8" or 10" subwoofer should be more than enough for yousince you're not a crazy audiophile, and you'll save money and space that way.

What I'd do:
  1. Head unit with all the features I want regardless of power output; it will NOT be powering the speakers.
  2. Some 5.25" speakers or 6.5" speakers/components for the doors. Rated to at least 50 watts RMS.
  3. Put 5.25" or 6.5" (if possible") in the sound bar. Again, at least 50 watts RMS.
  4. A decent 5-channel amp with at least 50 watts RMS to the 4 speakers. It's better to have an amp more too much power for the speakers than to have an underpowered amp; you can always turn the gain down on a more powerful amp.
  5. An 10" subwoofer mounted like this: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/xj-...y-10-a-120210/
  6. At least bass-blockers for the speakers if not high-pass crossovers, and a low-pass crossover for the subwoofer.

I'm actually doing all of the above with mine exactly as listed. I might use two amps--a 4-channel for speakers and a separate subwoofer amp--I'm still deciding.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TebbsJeep View Post
I listen mostly to metal/rock. Does that affect what speakers I should be looking for?
You May want to look into new speaker wires. When I installed my new speakers they sounded just as bad as the stock ones. Once I put new wires in they sounded great.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
xjpower1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You really need to be careful when choosing your front door speakers. The stock speaker depth is 2.25 inches and you cannot go more than that without the clearance issues with the window. There isn't much out there for speakers with that shallow of a mounting depth. I installed jl audio c2 525x in the front door, these are 2.5 inches deep and I knew that when I got them, I made a spacer from 1/4 inch MDF to push the speaker out and I have no clearance issues. It is a tight fit when the door panel goes on, but there is no interference at all.

All the XJ's I have seen have 5.25 speakers in the back as well even though online and at car stereo places they will tell you they are 6.5 inches. You have some freedom here because the rear speakers mount into a plastic piece, it is easily cut to make larger speakers fit, which is what I did, I installed jl c2 650x's out back. Honestly you will be glad you went with something bigger than the 5.25's, you need a larger speaker to move all that air back there. Even if you decide to go with a sub, you need good sized speakers to give you the mid bass response a sub cannot provide.

I also installed the alpine amp, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP4...ower-Pack.html, behind my alpine head unit, and for the and simplicity, it works great and had a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Being a student, money is always tight and this setup is definitely a massive improvement over the stock system without having to invest in a bigger alternator, better wiring, amps, blah blah blah.
xjpower1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.