Some thoughts from a new arrival... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Some thoughts from a new arrival...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
SgtB

Some thoughts from a new arrival...

Just some random thoughts from a new poster here. Why did they ever stop making the XJ and the inline 6 ? A great combination that lasts. Maybe the XJ didn't have the latest "aero" styling....but it worked for me. Among the many Jeep vehicles I have owned/currently own are a couple of XJ's. Just check out any online auto auction/classified....XJ's w/100,200300+k on them..still running(and looking) good.

SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

not efficient at all
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The toolings for the engines were worn, and efficiency was low, along with new crash and safety standards.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

The funny thing is that it's sales were strong all the way through the end (and past because it was still made in china until 06).

Apparently chrysler thought that 17 years (US and Europe) with the same body and only minor changes (c'mon, even the "Drastic" change in 97 isn't noticeable at a glance) throughout was too much to just throw in some stiffening and keep selling. Almost 2,000,000 units sold, chrysler made their money and decided to move on...
I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????
Jeepus buildicus:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/86-xj-w-mpi-budget-re-build-757079/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Using pure N2 is a total waste of money considering you can get 78% nitrogen for free.
Mr_Random is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Random View Post
Almost 2,000,000 units sold,
It was 2,884,172 sold to be exact.

There may be some truth to the tooling used and the factory needing maintenance or repairs, because when they are going to have to spend a lot of money to keep a vehicle in production they most certainly will consider whether or not it is in their financial interests to do so. And yes the 4.0L inline six isn't the most efficient engine by today's standards, but....

I'll tell you why it was axed:

Some marketing guru at DC convinced them that the XJ was too outdated and lost its appeal among the soccermom crowd. In order to stay competitive in the auto industry they need a "new" vehicle that was more stylish. I know I've said it before, but it was at that point DC became a FOLLOWER of the market instead of a LEADER that the Jeep name was since World War II, including the introduction of the Cherokee XJ in 1984. Instead they told us the Cherokee was too "boxy" - they told us that what WE wanted was a cuter more roundish body like the other cute-utes, namely the Rav4 and likes that were popular at the time. Hence the Liberty. I will admit now that the Liberty probably isn't a bad vehicle at all although I've never driven one. But it certainly wasn't something new. It was just following what other auto makers were doing because DC felt they were losing out in that corner of the market.

But what REALLY pisses me off is after saying the XJ was too "boxy" and outdated, is after GM came out with their own very boxy H2 and then the H3, what does DC do? They decide round is not in, but boxy is where its at. So now they make the Commander - a very boxy vehicle to try and compete with the H3 look. Again they are FOLLOWERS not LEADERS in the market.

And now we also have the Patriot which they say should appeal to the "Cherokee" crowd. (Yeah right...) I think that could be an acknowledgment that they know they lost some loyalty and a certain segment of the market when they axed the XJ.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
It was 2,884,172 sold to be exact.

There may be some truth to the tooling used and the factory needing maintenance or repairs, because when they are going to have to spend a lot of money to keep a vehicle in production they most certainly will consider whether or not it is in their financial interests to do so. And yes the 4.0L inline six isn't the most efficient engine by today's standards, but....

I'll tell you why it was axed:

Some marketing guru at DC convinced them that the XJ was too outdated and lost its appeal among the soccermom crowd. In order to stay competitive in the auto industry they need a "new" vehicle that was more stylish. I know I've said it before, but it was at that point DC became a FOLLOWER of the market instead of a LEADER that the Jeep name was since World War II, including the introduction of the Cherokee XJ in 1984. Instead they told us the Cherokee was too "boxy" - they told us that what WE wanted was a cuter more roundish body like the other cute-utes, namely the Rav4 and likes that were popular at the time. Hence the Liberty. I will admit now that the Liberty probably isn't a bad vehicle at all although I've never driven one. But it certainly wasn't something new. It was just following what other auto makers were doing because DC felt they were losing out in that corner of the market.

But what REALLY pisses me off is after saying the XJ was too "boxy" and outdated, is after GM came out with their own very boxy H2 and then the H3, what does DC do? They decide round is not in, but boxy is where its at. So now they make the Commander - a very boxy vehicle to try and compete with the H3 look. Again they are FOLLOWERS not LEADERS in the market.

And now we also have the Patriot which they say should appeal to the "Cherokee" crowd. (Yeah right...) I think that could be an acknowledgment that they know they lost some loyalty and a certain segment of the market when they axed the XJ.
so who wants to start hand building XJ clones with me? heck we could probably get at least a few thousand out of just piecing parts from JYs around

-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.