JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   So.. liking that K&N filter? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/so-liking-k-n-filter-1362919/)

Azzy 04-29-2012 10:03 PM

So.. liking that K&N filter?

Thought this was the case when i started going though more and more oil in the Saturn, it coming out dirtier and using more of it... after going K&N

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
and

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm :eek:

Found this test after looking for some info on some of the cone filters out there. I am tentatively thinking going cone filter and doing a cowl snorkel, but I will have to find a paper filter first, because one of those wont cut it here. Heck, I dont wash the car anymore because how dusty our road is (gravel and oil). Couldn't imagine what that would do to the cylinders... and for not much gain.

DullesJeep 04-30-2012 02:30 AM

I recently went with a THOR cowl intake air filter system. Mainly because K&N filters don't do all too great of a job, and because the location of the K&N FIPK filter I had was terrible. I was always afraid of sucking up water with the placement of that thing. I haven't driven enough to really take a good look at the filter on the THOR kit yet, but I hear the filter it comes with (green filter) is an improvement over K&N's cone filter. Regardless, I killed 3 birds with one stone with the THOR kit: Actually introducing fresh, cooler air into the intake, Improved location of air intake, and removal of the questionable K&N filter. Plus it was a fun and easy install to boot!

Azzy 04-30-2012 07:25 AM

Is the thor filter paper or oiled cloth?

joe108 04-30-2012 10:03 PM

K&N filters are crap, when I had one on my TJ there was a very fine coating of dust inside the tube, I'm sure the inside of my cylinders and pistons got that fine grit too.
I would just stay with stock paper filters, filters air better and when they get dirty you throw it away. Also no milage gains as claimed by k&n, just my 2cts.

XJ-JekL 04-30-2012 10:51 PM

Hmmmm, who would've thought? OME parts seem to do the best, while the Autozone special came in, well, not first.

DullesJeep 04-30-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 13491477)
Is the thor filter paper or oiled cloth?

Oiled cloth.

PR1AWRet 05-01-2012 08:41 AM

Nice test, but I think needs more testing done maybe at 2k, 5k, 7.5K, and 10K to see the difference for airflow and filtration.

Azzy 05-01-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PR1AWRet (Post 13497971)
Nice test, but I think needs more testing done maybe at 2k, 5k, 7.5K, and 10K to see the difference for airflow and filtration.

I think it would be nice to see more testing as well, but moving more air will always equal moving more grit along with it.

It wont start magically filtering at 7K ;)

PR1AWRet 05-01-2012 09:21 AM

Apples to apples, it would be neat to see a test done for the entire life of 1 engine using 1 brand filter, breaking the engine down and measure the wear and do this with as many different filters, oil included. A controlled test per se. With the 4.0 they can go 250K to 300K if properly maintained using any quality air/oil filters.

Just my $.02.

wsar10 05-01-2012 10:16 AM

there's no "real" need to run a test for the life of an engine, or 10k to see the results.
UOA's don't lie and you could see the elevated metals content from wear along with a higher silicon and insoluble's count.

I learned the downside of K&N's a few years ago, and switched every air filter to an AMSOIL filter.
It was a hard pill to swallow since every motor I've ever owned I put a K&N on it..........

jeepkid03 05-01-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsar10
there's no "real" need to run a test for the life of an engine, or 10k to see the results.
UOA's don't lie and you could see the elevated metals content from wear along with a higher silicon and insoluble's count.

I learned the downside of K&N's a few years ago, and switched every air filter to an AMSOIL filter.
It was a hard pill to swallow since every motor I've ever owned I put a K&N on it..........

I agree. UOAs don't lie. I have experienced first hand the dust in my intake when I used a K&N. I think what bothers me the most is the price. Very expensive for a crappy filter that maybe adds 5 hp at the most. I doubt you will notice 5 hp on a 4.0L.

DerMeister 05-01-2012 11:46 AM

I came to the same conclusion, I ran a spectre air filter that fit in the stock box. It is exactly like a K&N for 1/3 the price. One day the thin metal name tag that was on the filter got sucked into my TB and caused it to be stuck open at 70mph.

Anyway, I ditched it after that, but when dis-lodging the metal strip I noticed dust all over everything past the air filter. I had it for a year, and didn't maintain it however. No power or mpg gain was noticed either.

$4 for a Fram works better.

DullesJeep 05-01-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerMeister (Post 13498978)
I came to the same conclusion, I ran a spectre air filter that fit in the stock box. It is exactly like a K&N for 1/3 the price. One day the thin metal name tag that was on the filter got sucked into my TB and caused it to be stuck open at 70mph.

Anyway, I ditched it after that, but when dis-lodging the metal strip I noticed dust all over everything past the air filter. I had it for a year, and didn't maintain it however. No power or mpg gain was noticed either.

$4 for a Fram works better.

I remember reading your thread on that back before I was even a member here.
:laugh:

The time now is 04:30 PM.