Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

So I hear...

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  rugsucka 
#1 ·
So I hear that Xjs outwheel, mud, crawl, etc.. WJs. Any truth to this? I am about to enter the jeep world for the first time, and I can't decide which one to pop my cherry on :laugh:

#3 ·
I am trading in a sports car for a vehicle to be a DD but tear up trails and mud on the weekends with buddies. I have some family members who have had both and they loved the XJ. I think it may come down between the wj and xj as to had you rather have luxury or less luxury. That's my thinking. I am new to the jeep thing and I want to use it for both, but if it doesn't go through my weekends of wheeling then I dont want it. Thanks for the response!

#7 ·
I've dealt with both, and will pick the XJ every time. The Grands have typical Chrysler electrical problems and transmission issues. XJs seem to be able to take more abuse, so I'd go for one of those unless you find a Grand that has been well taken care of.

#8 ·
:cheers2:I appreciate the help. BTW, awesome panda pic lol. I know you guys will hate to hear this, but it seems I might be getting a WJ soon with a v8. I know you all are xj guys, but I think the WJ is just going to fit my needs to the T. Thanks for all of your help!

#10 ·
XJ without a doubt my choice, I have has an XJ since '93 and have never had a more reliable vehicle. They are basically a YJ in an SUV format. They are so universal at home on road as well as on the trail. The XJ doesn't have as much room as the Grand though, but it makes up for it in performance. Easy to work on and to upgrade with more aftermarket kits for the XJ.

Best wishes
XJ liker

#13 ·
So I have been browsing and the wj's are pricy compared to the xj. I guess it is for comforts and not that it is an actual superior vehicle. Btw, so far, you guys and the gc people have been most friendly. I greatly appreciate that. I guess i like the look of the wj (curves lol). But I like the ruggedness look of the Cherokee. Guess they are called grand because of the luxury. I have a 2003 350z and I am going to law school or graduate school very soon, just waiting on acceptance letters basically. I will wheel only maybe 3 weekends a month, other than that it will be driven to the library and class. I will be camping some too. No family so the tons of room isn't needed. I will mod on a budget. Really want 35s, lift, suspension, etc. So my only concern is that it is older than my current vehicle. So should that factor in? Or is the xj superior on those weekends to make up for the lack of creature comforts and newness? Thanks.

#16 ·
I've owned two XJ's (one current, one sold) and currently own a WJ. The XJ's outwheel the WJ hands down, even with XJ open diffs vs WJ front true trac/rear quadradrive axles. Dunlop mud terrain's on the XJ, BFG KM2's on the WJ. The WJ is more comfortable and has more power (4.7L), but it's heavier than the XJ, longer wheel base, and I prefer the NV231/242 over my WJ's NV247 transfer case.

#17 ·
You have a much greater choice of options from budget to top dollar with an XJ and many choices in between. It is a better supported aftermarket as well.

I personally prefer the WJ to other Grand Cherokee models - I always have. It is not cheap to find bumpers for them though as curved metal to match curved body lines just isn't off the rack like the more square XJ.

There is plenty of power in the 4.0L for the weight of an XJ, but a V8 is king by displacement alone in most cases.

I'm an XJ guy with a Commander coming as my DD in about a year so boxy is good for me. I've never wheeled with a WJ before so I don't have personal information to add about one being better than the other offroad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.