So I hear... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > So I hear...

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
GustheSig

So I hear...

So I hear that Xjs outwheel, mud, crawl, etc.. WJs. Any truth to this? I am about to enter the jeep world for the first time, and I can't decide which one to pop my cherry on

GustheSig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

XJ are simple to work on and build up. WJs have available V8s and are damn comfortable for daily use. If it was my only rig I would rock a mildly built WJ over an XJ for lighter trail duty. If your into harder core wheeling then the XJ is the better choice. can't really go wrong both are great rigs
1997 ZJ, 1992 YJ, 1992 XJ
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
GustheSig

I am trading in a sports car for a vehicle to be a DD but tear up trails and mud on the weekends with buddies. I have some family members who have had both and they loved the XJ. I think it may come down between the wj and xj as to had you rather have luxury or less luxury. That's my thinking. I am new to the jeep thing and I want to use it for both, but if it doesn't go through my weekends of wheeling then I dont want it. Thanks for the response!
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Considering it's your first jeep to get into wheeling with, I would suggest an XJ. Things are that much simpler, it's lighter, and a lot cheaper. Plus you wont feel as bad if you get battle scars.
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
86customanche
1992 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
Considering it's your first jeep to get into wheeling with, I would suggest an XJ. Things are that much simpler, it's lighter, and a lot cheaper. Plus you wont feel as bad if you get battle scars.
XJs are very simple to work on and being new to Jeeps you might need that. WJs are very comfy however. It really is up to how much wheeling you plan on doing. The more you go, the more youll want the XJ.
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
mbybee

The XJ was just about the best all purpose SUV ever made - I miss mine and plan to get another. The WJ and various grand Cherokees are just for the school run.
mbybee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've dealt with both, and will pick the XJ every time. The Grands have typical Chrysler electrical problems and transmission issues. XJs seem to be able to take more abuse, so I'd go for one of those unless you find a Grand that has been well taken care of.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
GustheSig

I appreciate the help. BTW, awesome panda pic lol. I know you guys will hate to hear this, but it seems I might be getting a WJ soon with a v8. I know you all are xj guys, but I think the WJ is just going to fit my needs to the T. Thanks for all of your help!
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have both. I drive the xj and my wife drives the wj I love my xj but man the wj is nice to drive. Especially on a trip.
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Xjliker

XJ without a doubt my choice, I have has an XJ since '93 and have never had a more reliable vehicle. They are basically a YJ in an SUV format. They are so universal at home on road as well as on the trail. The XJ doesn't have as much room as the Grand though, but it makes up for it in performance. Easy to work on and to upgrade with more aftermarket kits for the XJ.

Best wishes
XJ liker
Xjliker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Xjliker

Let us know how you like it. You'll be happy with either. 

XJ liker
Xjliker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just bolt in some ZJ leather seats in a XJ!
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
GustheSig

So I have been browsing and the wj's are pricy compared to the xj. I guess it is for comforts and not that it is an actual superior vehicle. Btw, so far, you guys and the gc people have been most friendly. I greatly appreciate that. I guess i like the look of the wj (curves lol). But I like the ruggedness look of the Cherokee. Guess they are called grand because of the luxury. I have a 2003 350z and I am going to law school or graduate school very soon, just waiting on acceptance letters basically. I will wheel only maybe 3 weekends a month, other than that it will be driven to the library and class. I will be camping some too. No family so the tons of room isn't needed. I will mod on a budget. Really want 35s, lift, suspension, etc. So my only concern is that it is older than my current vehicle. So should that factor in? Or is the xj superior on those weekends to make up for the lack of creature comforts and newness? Thanks.
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
mbybee

Only you can decide that - I drive an M3 during the week, and a Jeep on weekends.

The Jeep is more comfortable when I'm 100 miles from anywhere and camping under the stars...
mbybee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Any Jeep with a solid front axle would be a good choice.

Just pick one and enjoy it. No matter what the model, Just Empty Every Pocket holds true in time if you like mods.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.