Snow Setup! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Snow Setup!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
3Lugs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Snow Setup!

Hello folks! 99 XJ 4.0 AW4 NP242 stock susp.

My wife and I both work in healthcare and are expected to go to work when perhaps most others would not. We got an XJ a few months back to use for snow, among other things. We live in eastern PA and a bit out in the sticks so we have to drive some fairly hilly country roads to get anywhere.

I took it out for a spin during our first storm - about 2-3 inches of fresh, wet snow. No trouble getting moving, but it did seem a bit eager to get sideways or fall off the road on off-camber turns. I'm sure a large part of this was due to lousy tires - all season and about 6/32 I'd guess.

Anyway, I'm looking for tips for a good snow setup. I'd heard the 242 with full-time was better for snow so I got that...right choice?

Tires - I'm planning to get snow tires - any recommendations?

Chains - They're allowed where I live and required on certain roads sometimes. The manual says only use on rear and not at all on 225/75 or larger. Also says "S" rated only. Is this correct or are they being overly cautious?

For down the road...lift and/or larger tires - helpful or not? I am guessing for the road probably not necessary...but if they don't hurt I wouldn't mind them either

3Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
rick_rob
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I run cooper at3's and have very little problems with snow and ice in northern Michigan.
rick_rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any vehicle , with poor tires, is going to perform poorly without snow tires.

That's why you see so many sheeparus in the ditch, median when it snows. Sure, they have a great AWD system, but it's wasted by running touring tires.
Unread 01-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/w...tires-2701698/

Read that. Please read that because the advice that gets thrown around her regarding tires in winter is borderline terrible.

Good winter tires are all you'll need for Pennsylvania winters. If you have a set of chains that fit your tires, you can always keep them with you just in case, but I have never needed chains my entire life in MN, WI, or northern IL.

Lift and larger tires won't have any significant impact on winter performance, but the larger and larger you go with tires, the harder it becomes to find good winter tires.
Unread 01-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
Paradise XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

When you're looking for SNOW tires, look for tires with the little "mountain" insignia that are rated for snow and ice. Just an M/S (mud and snow) rating won't cut it. Someone may try to sell you MT's (Mud Terrains)...and MT's suck in snow. All Terrain (AT) is what you should be looking for. All Season tires are just chunkier touring tires.

BFG K/O AT are the kind of tire I'm talking about...but they are not great in snow because the rubber is too hard IMHO.
Unread 01-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
NewYJOwner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good snow rated tires make a difference for sure.

The NP242 is great for winter in my opinion, you can leave it in fulltime on any road conditions, no need to shift out of fulltime if the road turns to dry pavement. You could shift to fulltime at first snowfall, and leave it there till spring if you chose to.
NewYJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
macktheripper
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I had a set of B. F. Goodrich Commercial Traction winter tires on my Grand Cherokee. (I might add they are good for summer driving too.). They were un-studded but can be studded. Worked really well here in the Sierras in CA. Very good control and pretty good on ice too. I have a set of studded Mud Kings on my 88 Cherokee Chief and they are great too. We used to go fishing in the unplowed snow as deep as 2' to get to our favorite lake. Never had to use chains on either tires though CA. law requires that you have them.
macktheripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 05:53 AM   #8
MaskedMallard
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am on my second set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's. I really like how they got me through several Minnesota Winters & the so-called Snow-ma-geddon in Northern Virginia, back in January / February 2010. I was like the only one to get to work & surprised my roommate by driving over & through the 4 foot snow bank the plow left. He thought we would have to dig the Jeep out, before we drove anywhere. Ha!!! So, I recommend those tires. I also like the squared off shoulders into the tread.

Might also want to consider a full size spare tire, perhaps a snow tire. Maybe even purchase a matching junkyard rim & have a second snow tire you can easily install onto the Jeep. Does that make sense??? Draw arrows on the inside of the tires, so they keep going the same direction when taken off & put back on. Does that also make sense???

Last of all, I have a preference to put tubes into my spare tires. Never have to worry about a slow leaker again.
MaskedMallard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:04 AM   #9
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The NP242 with its full-time option is ideal for snowy roads. Good tires make all the difference in the snow, especially with braking and handling on slippery roads. Dedicated studded snow tires are ideal, but not everyone wants two sets of tires. A good All-Terrain like the Cooper Discoverer AT3 or the General Grabber AT2 is a good compromise. Unless you drive through several feet of snow, I don't see chains or a lift kit being an advantage. A lift might actually make the Jeep lean more around corners. Mine is only lifted 2" and it does lean a bit more than stock, and doesn't noticeably increase the snow performance.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.