Snorkel practicality? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Snorkel practicality?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #31
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Through the firewall and eliminate the glove box.
And what have a piece of flex tube hanging in front of the windshield?

__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #32
Project1
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
My $.02 on that, while I have not checked my intake temperature (maybe ill do it on the way to work today), I have felt the ducting to my intake from my cowl snorkel and it is cool to the touch when running. Even with the air filter sitting on the valve cover. I would imagine it is a fairly effective cold air source.

thats exactly what I want .. except to hook to my snorkel .. I need to make room for the second battery ..

where did you get that filter peice ?????
__________________
[ ]||||||[ ] ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/98-green-xj-daily-driver-build-996260/
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #33
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
thats exactly what I want .. except to hook to my snorkel .. I need to make room for the second battery ..

where did you get that filter peice ?????
More bends restricts airflow, get marine grade 00 wire and make a battery box for your rear hatch.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #34
tofuzeppelin
Senior Member
 
tofuzeppelin's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Posts: 899
When you need it... you Need it
__________________
01 TJ with some stuff
01 XJ with no rust
76 Ford with both

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #35
Project1
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
When you need it... you Need it
HA .. very well put
__________________
[ ]||||||[ ] ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/98-green-xj-daily-driver-build-996260/
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #36
Motorcharge
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 11,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post

And what have a piece of flex tube hanging in front of the windshield?
Yes. Not everyones rig is a DD and FL doesn't have state inspections.

Besides, you could always run it at a 90° over to the side and run it up the A pillar.
__________________
|Project Motörcharge|
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #37
Kettles
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
thats exactly what I want .. except to hook to my snorkel .. I need to make room for the second battery ..

where did you get that filter peice ?????
The filter is a Spectre 3" inline filter I got off summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-9833/overview/. You will need to attach your stock line to it somehow. The stock airtube connectrion is like 3.25" not 3". I just used a worm drive hose clamp and tightened it down onto it; It seems to have worked fairly well. A better solution would be to adapt something to it. My plan is to get an 1/8" thick strip of rubber and glue it around the outlet of the filter to make it the right size. If it wasn't aluminum I would weld something to it.

I also did it to install a second battery; Haven't done it yet though
__________________
_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #38
Project1
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
The filter is a Spectre 3" inline filter I got off summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-9833/overview/. You will need to attach your stock line to it somehow. The stock airtube connectrion is like 3.25" not 3". I just used a worm drive hose clamp and tightened it down onto it; It seems to have worked fairly well. A better solution would be to adapt something to it. My plan is to get an 1/8" thick strip of rubber and glue it around the outlet of the filter to make it the right size. If it wasn't aluminum I would weld something to it.

I also did it to install a second battery; Haven't done it yet though
Really great info man .. Thanks brother ..

I forget how big the opening of the TB is .. is it also 3.25? If it was 3" you maybe be able to just go with strait flex hose.


or check out this 3" - 3.25" Silicone Reducer Coupler Hose 3-Ply Reinforced Black ... $13

http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Reduc.../dp/B004GJ6M2G
__________________
[ ]||||||[ ] ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/98-green-xj-daily-driver-build-996260/
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #39
Kettles
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Really great info man .. Thanks brother ..

I forget how big the opening of the TB is .. is it also 3.25? If it was 3" you maybe be able to just go with strait flex hose.


or check out this 3" - 3.25" Silicone Reducer Coupler Hose 3-Ply Reinforced Black ... $13

http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Reduc.../dp/B004GJ6M2G
No the TB opening is more like 2.5"
And that type of reducer is for coupling two pieces of tube together, so the ID's are 3" and 3.25"; you would need some 3.25" tubing to then couple to the stock hose. Just making everything longer.
__________________
_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #40
Project1
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
No the TB opening is more like 2.5"
And that type of reducer is for coupling two pieces of tube together, so the ID's are 3" and 3.25"; you would need some 3.25" tubing to then couple to the stock hose. Just making everything longer.
I see
__________________
[ ]||||||[ ] ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/98-green-xj-daily-driver-build-996260/
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #41
TheBlueDevil
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lovettsville, VA
Posts: 192
I like the idea of a cowl snorkel but just curious, where does the air come from inside the cowl. Those little plastic vents are fake so i know its not coming in through that. I also like the idea of having an H1 type snorkel that comes out of the passenger side. But maybe the driver side would be better because there would be less bends in the tube?
TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #42
TheBlueDevil
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lovettsville, VA
Posts: 192


what about something like this?
TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #43
sicma99ot
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida, Lake Wales
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueDevil View Post
I like the idea of a cowl snorkel but just curious, where does the air come from inside the cowl. Those little plastic vents are fake so i know its not coming in through that. I also like the idea of having an H1 type snorkel that comes out of the passenger side. But maybe the driver side would be better because there would be less bends in the tube?
I drilled the fire wall on the driver side to run my cowl intake. I had no problem with water getting in, ive stood there with a hose for a while drenching it and had no problem. The only thing I wouldnt recommend is real deep water. Like to the head lights would be my max. A big splash or hole could put water up to the cowl and drown out the intake. I cant speek from experiance, the deepest ive been is to the top of the bumper.

Just check the depth, maintain a good speed to keep a bow wave, and dont let water get over the hood.
__________________
98 XJ 4x2 to 4x4 converted
sicma99ot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #44
sicma99ot
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida, Lake Wales
Posts: 273
Also an efan would be great for deep water. I currently have a stock fan but hope to upgrade
__________________
98 XJ 4x2 to 4x4 converted
sicma99ot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #45
TheBlueDevil
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lovettsville, VA
Posts: 192
But where does the air come from inside that cowl chamber?
TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.