Snorkel practicality? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Snorkel practicality?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Snorkel practicality?

Has anyone ever had a practical or efficient use of thier snorkel? I would really like to look into getting one or making one and turning it into a fun project but I honestly dont feel like drilling holes and putting a small sail on the side of my jeep if the general concensus is such that a snorkel is not really necessary or practical. I am a fan of "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" but like I asked before; is it really worth it?

Anyone have any stories or suggestions?

TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i have a cowl snorkel. i have it just for the fact of dropping into a mud hole and not knowing how deep it is. i did it more for a failsafe. plus the jeep gets a little cooler air to help. i didnt wanna get a snorkel on the outside cause i didnt wanna drill my fender and i know i would break it off since i go in stupid tight trails.

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How did it effect your performance? Any difference noticed?
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueDevil View Post
How did it effect your performance? Any difference noticed?
none at all. its a jeep not a sports car lol

Quote:
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do a cowl intake. It is very practical, for such events as stated above. Avoid sucking in water on splash ups too. Sounds pretty mean at WOT too.
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have an external snorkel, did it for basically the same reasons. Doubt it would ever get ripped off even on tight trails.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
I have an external snorkel, did it for basically the same reasons. Doubt it would ever get ripped off even on tight trails.
ive seen 3 ripped off lol

Quote:
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Cowl Snorkel. I dont ever want to drive into water even close to deep enough to need a full snorkel, this is my daily driver. But I have flooded my engine once not knowing the depth of a hole with my previous intake setup. Now I cant flood it from the splash of entering a hole that isn't that deep, and if I miss judge it pretty bad I'm still fairly safe. I'm going to have more water damage issues if I get the water high enough to flood my cowl anyway.

If you have a stripped out jeep and do serious water crossings, I guess an ARB or the like snorkel would actually be useful.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I think go for a real snorkel. I don't like the cowl intakes everybody does. For one, there's a better chance of water going over the hood and into the cowl than actually into the airbox. Now if you are going slow through deep puddles that are up over you engine with a cowl intake, then you are just stupid. Expect faulty electrical items if you do. Another thing I would like to point out is if your tires are out past your fenders, your snorkel is not going to get ripped off on trails. They are not any wider than the stock flares on a jeep. I go down trails that are meant for ATV's at a local park and have never had a flare taken off, only rubbed up against. Never have I had anything torn off my jeep because of a tight trail. The snorkel is also a true cold air intake system. The cowl still gets hot and you will still be sucking in hot air. Don't let anybody tell you that cold air means nothing. The cold air allows more oxygen into the engine since cold air is more dense than hot air. Just my $.02 about this whole cowl, snorkel controversy.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes
i have a cowl snorkel. i have it just for the fact of dropping into a mud hole and not knowing how deep it is. i did it more for a failsafe. plus the jeep gets a little cooler air to help. i didnt wanna get a snorkel on the outside cause i didnt wanna drill my fender and i know i would break it off since i go in stupid tight trails.
X2 on cowl intake, I did this on Sunday and there where points where the splash covered part of the windshield and it kept running just fine. That hole was deep enough to full submerge those 4 wheelers but they had snorkels on them so they made it through.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

a snorkel is piece of mind if you think you will be a little safer with it then its worth the time and money if you only play on the rocks and avoid mud and water like the plaque then don't waste your time.

I know that I have a little time to get through how much time do you have?
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Dang, alright. So the general take away message I'm getting here is that if I'm going to be going through water deep enough that I need a full snorkel then I have bigger problems to worry about then just water in the engine haha. I've hydro locked my motor once before because of poor judgment in a bad water hole but my main reason for a modified intake is because I spend a lot of time in Norfolk VA where it floods at the smallest rainfall and cars get stuck all the time and even with almost 4 inches and 32's I have almost fallen victim to the flooding. As you can see, its mainly for a piece of mind so I know I'm safe in most water situations thrown at me.
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I swamped my stock intake just this past weekend after dipping the front driverside into an unfamiliar soft spot of a familiar water crossing. Soaked the air filter and smothered the engine. I killed it immediately then crawled out to attach a tow strap and get shamefully pulled out.

I know a cowl snorkel would have prevented such a near hydro-lock disaster, and ironically I have circles drawn on the back of the fire wall for the work I've been to lazy to finish this spring. I have the tubing, I have the 3" hole saw and the parts.

It will be part of my immediate improvement list before my next water venture. I know better, I knew the hole, I still almost effed myself.
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #14
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you're in the Norfolk area...hello from a local! My buddy Matt in the red XJ has a traditional snorkel. I have a cowl snorkel. If you wanted to check either out, we'd be happy for you to take a look at them first hand. My write-up on my snorkel is at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...ml#post8805654

Unread 05-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I know i'm a TJ, but when I was in florida and all of us would go offroading and doing water crossing's they would always send me first with the snorkel becauase it was just a little piece of mind that I couldnt get hydrolocked like the rest of the group. I might not have had the biggest lift but I still could go places others couldnt.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.