Smoked Lights...legal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Smoked Lights...legal?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Smoked Lights...legal?

Ive seen a few Xjs on here with smoked rear lights and turn signals on the jeep forum, but was curious..are those legal or does it depend on the state? ( im currently living in new york )

The reason I ask this is because since last year, all rear window tinting has become illegal unless it was put on by the manufacture. Since their so stiff on that I figured it would be the same with tinted lights.

but if not illegal...where would be a good place to purchase some?

Arbslikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

its state by state, so check local laws
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbslikewhoa View Post
Ive seen a few Xjs on here with smoked rear lights and turn signals on the jeep forum, but was curious..are those legal or does it depend on the state? ( im currently living in new york )

The reason I ask this is because since last year, all rear window tinting has become illegal unless it was put on by the manufacture. Since their so stiff on that I figured it would be the same with tinted lights.

but if not illegal...where would be a good place to purchase some?
Not sure about the legality in your local area, but vehicle lighting is actually pretty carefully engineered to work, so messing too much with it is risky. Best case in point is smoked or clear turn signals on the FRONT of an XJ. One reason XJs have two bright bulbs in the front turn signal is because the turn signal is so close to the headlamp. If you make that turn signal clear (like the headlamp) or too dim (smoked) then it can be masked by the bright headlamp right next to it so that people can't see it when the headlamp is on. Whenever a turn signal is within so many inches of a headlamp, there is a brightness multiplier that has to be added to the design to make sure the signal is still visible against the glare of the headlight.

Rear signals don't have the problem of headlight masking, but one reason that amber turn signals are so common is because a bright red brake light directly beside a red turn signal tends to mask it. It wasn't a problem back when most American cars used the same bulb for brake/turn so that the brake light was off when the turn signal was off, but two red lights side-by-side mask each other.

I'm not gonna be a curmudgeon and say "yer a dang fool if you dye yer taillights or smoke yer turn signals," but you should stop and think about visibility. I will be a little crustier about clear front signals and say that's just plain dumb because of headlights masking them.
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Undecided
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i know IL is ok with it cause ive got it done on my ranger and the XJ
Undecided is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
lhp21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not going to clear the front turn signals (well side ones I guess), because you bring up a good point and that could be dangerous. However, I'm going to smoke/red the rears. Lots of cars 2000 or so and later have all red rear lights, so it is certainly legal and IMO not dangerous.
lhp21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have mine smoke and from what I was told by the cops I have talked to the said you need some form of reflector. I left my reverse lights unsmoked and haven't had a problem in over a year, even been pulled over and they never said a word about the lights.
Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Throw on some LED Bulbs if you are worried about visibility in the rear lights if they are darkened.
Tires: Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500" 235/70/15's
SoloCamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
lhp21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
Throw on some LED Bulbs if you are worried about visibility in the rear lights if they are darkened.
Is there LEDs that drop in? I would be all over this if there are. I like the whole LED/Smoke thing, sort of like some of the newer tail/brake lights.
lhp21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp21 View Post
Is there LEDs that drop in? I would be all over this if there are. I like the whole LED/Smoke thing, sort of like some of the newer tail/brake lights.

Yup...I should be ordering some fairly soon myself.

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...d/0/SFV/32481#

Just got to find the bulb numbers you need and go from there.
Unread 07-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp21 View Post
I'm not going to clear the front turn signals (well side ones I guess), because you bring up a good point and that could be dangerous. However, I'm going to smoke/red the rears. Lots of cars 2000 or so and later have all red rear lights, so it is certainly legal and IMO not dangerous.
Well, the cars that have blacked-out or smoked lamps from the factory may have higher intensity emitters or differently designed reflectors to compensate, too.

Black taillamps aren't a new thing, they go WAY back (mid 70s Pontiacs at least) so the technology is there. Same for clear- 80s Buicks and Cadillacs had clear rear lamps. I'm just saying you can't be sure that taking a lamp assembly engineered for one color lens will remain adequate when you re-color the lens.

As for LEDs, be careful. There are some LED lamps out that are great, but there are a whole lot more that suck rocks. Most of the ones that are mounted on a conventional bulb base fall into the suck rocks category.
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440_Magnum View Post
As for LEDs, be careful. There are some LED lamps out that are great, but there are a whole lot more that suck rocks. Most of the ones that are mounted on a conventional bulb base fall into the suck rocks category.
Agreed. For example...the ricer ones are autozone. They emit only a straight pattern of light and are just as bad/worse than stockers.

The ones I linked to are a much better quality product.
Unread 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
wojtizzlator
1987 XJ Cherokee 

if you go to ebay you can type in VHT and these spray cans will come up! stuff looks nice

"who needs paved roads when u have a jeep"

87 xj 6" long arm lift, 35's, 4.88 yukon gears, front detroit true trac

colorado jeep club member # 74
wojtizzlator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

depends on the state, in VA i was told its as long as you can see the lights from 200 feet or something like that they are legal.

i slightly doubt NY will allow it but thats pure guess
-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #14
Sterner09
1998 ZJ 

I have the clear lenses and there is no difference in seeing the turn signals with the headlights on. Just thought id throw that int here.
Sterner09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
gatesy00tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

meh... not to jump in on an XJ post. but i rearended a woman w/ those clear taillights. the sun was directly behind me and she claims she had her T/S on but i never saw ANY of the lights come on.

not tryin to steer anyone away from anything they like, just pointing it out that any mods to lighting could be dangerous to an extent.
[CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][FONT="System"][COLOR="Green"]NGJC Member #73[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/CENTER]

[FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Green"]'00 TJ[/COLOR][/FONT] 4.0 BB 32x1150 BFG A/T's stupid 3 spoke wheels soft top

<><
gatesy00tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.