Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat covers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat covers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
xjken99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat covers

Just wondering if anyone has the Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat cover for their rear seat. I like the storage bags on the back but, I am curious if they will fit the rear seat in an XJ. Smittybilts site does not list the Cherokee but, i am wondering if one of the other will fit since they claim to be adjustable.

www.smittybilt.com/product/index/53.htm

Last edited by xjken99; 03-28-2010 at 10:56 AM..
xjken99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
p2y2r7o
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ooh, I like that. x2 on the fitting question.
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that the rear bench in an XJ is fairly similar in size and shape to that of a TJ. Since they are adjustable, I bet you could make it work.
JPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPete View Post
I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that the rear bench in an XJ is fairly similar in size and shape to that of a TJ. Since they are adjustable, I bet you could make it work.
what TJs and XJs have you been looking at? The rear seat in my XJ is WWWAAAYYYY wider than a TJ. I couldn't dream of sticking 3 people in the backseat of a TJ. There's got to easily be 6-8" of difference in width.
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Chelsea
The clocks ticking, pops.

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have been looking for these for a while, I just didn't know who they were by. I was searching in the Cherokee sections though, maybe that's why I'm not finding them. Thanks for the link!

Anyway, I would like to know if these fit an XJ as well... if no one knows, I'd be willing to buy one and try it. I want one of these, I just can't decide on front or rear seat.

2005 WK Limited, 5.7 hemi, QDii, aFe intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Taylor shorties, Diablosport tuned

1999 XJ Sport, trail rig, lots of goodies
Chelsea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony89 View Post
what TJs and XJs have you been looking at? The rear seat in my XJ is WWWAAAYYYY wider than a TJ. I couldn't dream of sticking 3 people in the backseat of a TJ. There's got to easily be 6-8" of difference in width.
Right, there is probably a difference of several inches in the width, which is why I said "fairly similar." The important thing, considering the seat covers are adjustable, would be the similarity in their shape.

I own a TJ and an XJ, so I have a decent grasp on the sizes of the back seats. And I've had 3 people in the back seat of my TJ, so I guess I don't need to dream.

Regardless, it's all speculation until someone actually tries a TJ cover on an XJ seat.

Edit: I don't have either vehicle with me right now, but I know that a TJ's back seat is about 40" wide. The "hip room width" for the rear of an XJ, according to Motor Trend's website, is around 44", so the seats can't be that much different.

Last edited by JPete; 03-31-2010 at 08:55 AM..
JPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

looking at the strap where it attaches on the back, it really doesn't look like there's a lot of of extra slack for adjustment to it. Like JPete said, its all just guesses until someone actually tries. If you buy one, and it doesn't fit, you could always just sew on some extra strap if you aren't worried about all the extra uncovered seating area on the sides.
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

too bad you can't fold the seat down with it on it. Makes the stuff you put in kind of temporary
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
too bad you can't fold the seat down with it on it. Makes the stuff you put in kind of temporary
as long as you use the molle/pals bags that are enclosed with zipper, buckle, etc i don't see why you couldn't...
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I want the ACU pattern ones... then no one will see me sleeping in my jeep during lunch!
XJcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony89 View Post
as long as you use the molle/pals bags that are enclosed with zipper, buckle, etc i don't see why you couldn't...

oops I thought it was like the front, not two pieces but hinged.

Unread 04-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
HikerX
2014 WK 

Same basic concept, but this one by Springtail Solutions, which I've seen on a TJ and liked very much, could work. Seems like you could somehow strap it to the rear seat in a way that would securely anchor it down while making it removable as well. Molle stuff should attach to it just fine.

Another option is to go with the Smittybilt version and find a seamstress to lengthen the material for you.

Finally, if you can get past the sometimes cheesy approach companies marketing "tactical" gear use, you can adapt something like this to work.

Search "molle panel" and all sorts of stuff comes up.
HikerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.