slow build thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > slow build thread

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 09-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #46
freestylekid33
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Haha i went to do my discos, and first i had a hard time getting the bolt out, then when i got it out i found out i bought the wrong size clevis pins so now i'll probably run to the hardware store again tomorrow afterschool and pick up the right size

freestylekid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #47
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did you eventually get them out?

Mine were being a PITA, and eventually I gave up.

I've been recommended to use a 2 jaw gear puller and try it out, if that doesn't work, I'm just going to cut it out and hopefully it'll slide out easily.

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

My goal is to have 20 lights around my XJ.

Currently: 10
XJMuscle98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #48
freestylekid33
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yea i got one out and then i realized i got the wrong pin, i just airhammered the crap outa it and it poped out and i was able to grab it with vicegrips and pull it the rest of the way. Good luck with yours.
Unread 09-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #49
freestylekid33
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got my 2 inch lift on.. also finally finished making my quick discos, heres a couple crappy pics of it but im gonna try and get more tomorrow. Now i wont pop my flairs off when i flex her out

Unread 09-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #50
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

yes I'd agree that you don't have to do a lot of things on here that people say are a must. Seems like the people saying them have never been offroad or in a real world situation. I would say however that the slip yoke isn't something to be taken lightly, the driveshaft doesn't have to vibrate to be barely making contact with the outpit shaft. My friend bought a '96 (that's the same 231 transfercase you are running) that had been lifted only 3" and its transfercase was blown open.

There is an extremely long output shaft on the '96+. When you lift the jeep your driveshaft slides away from the TC (transfercase) on the slip yoke. That is a lot like putting a cheater bar on the already long shaft. The internals were not designed to take that kind of side to side, up and down torque, this will put added stress on your tc and it will wear out prematurely.

The DS (driveshaft) works on about 3" of ouput shaft. When you lift you pull the ds away giving it less contact on the splines, its not uncommon to get into a sutuation where you are only running on an inch of splines (6" or more of lift). If you hit a bump or a rock or something it could cause your DS to come off.

As far as the sway bar links, people on here get really anal about this. I'm sure its fine to drive w/o links but this will increase body roll. and will increase your chance of rollover, BE CAREFUL, don't drive like an *******. You will have pretty loose steering. basically you'll handle waay better with the links in. Anyone who says otherwise is stupid and has no sense of handling, there is a noticeable difference.

Ditch your rear swaybay! its pretty useless, I noticed more body roll with it gone, but not enough to keep it around.
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #51
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

after i disconnected my sway bars i never bothered hooking them back up...... even with a 3.5" lift and 31" tires it still has less body roll than an izusu trooper ........ so whats the point

ous in the summer the jeeps offroad only but in the winter the camaro goes into storage the studds go on the jeep and then it gets about 90/10 onroad/offroad in the winter i dont need sway bars either cause i dont drive fast too much snow for that up here
CherokeeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #52
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

my point was:
Quote:
...will increase your chance of rollover, BE CAREFUL, don't drive like an *******. You will have pretty loose steering. basically you'll handle waay better with the links in.
Never driven a trooper, don't intend to, all I know is my jeep handles a lot better with the links.

I wouldn't encourage a high school kid to drive around w/o a front swaybar, no offense but they do enough, crazy things, that and remember how we used to drive in HS?
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #53
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke94XJ View Post
my point was: Never driven a trooper, don't intend to, all I know is my jeep handles a lot better with the links.

I wouldn't encourage a high school kid to drive around w/o a front swaybar, no offense but they do enough, crazy things, that and remember how we used to drive in HS?
Yes, I drive normally.

Not all young drivers are idiots, please do not generalize.

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

Unread 09-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #54
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't say they were idiots, I said they did crazy things, I liked to drive fast, still like to, still would if it wasn't for mr. revenue generator.

Do you know freestylekid33? Do you know anything about his driving style? Until I know I'm not going to tell him to drive without his swaybar connected.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here, I don't want to go around telling people to leave their front swaybar disconnected, that is all.

But if you want a flame war I'm totally up for it, I can call people's mammas fat all day long biatch!! LOL
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #55
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lol I was just pointing out that some teens are excellent drivers.

I understand you were making the point that its not good to suggest that teens do crazy things, especially in a vehicle, but that stereotype makes me angry lol.

It's all good though.

Ronald Reagan

Unread 09-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #56
freestylekid33
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yea i understand what luke94xj was sayin about teen drivers, theres some retards at my school that put a bad name on us teen drivers... I still haven't disconnected my swaybar since i put my discos in but when i do i'll probably see if it handles any different on the road.
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #57
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

aw sweet you goit em in, I did the same disco setup, that website is loaded with cool cheap mods.

Oh yeah there are plenty of great teen drivers, I was actually a pretty good driver, it helped spending hours and hours drifting cart stalls at the local target during winter snowstorms. It really helps you learn how to correct, and control a slide. that and I drove my sister and neighbor kids to school on weekdays, however I still only got like a 72 on my driving test (its amazing how everyone can remember their score). The instructor was a *****, seriously everyione I knew who tested with her got under 75.

Oh no dude (xjmuscle98) I think we all know its teen girls that give teens a bad rep, that and ricer johnny.

Chicks get into fender benders like mice get into old jeeps. However they live through it (even though they have like 15 accidents by the time they turn 21). The insurance company pays out the 40gs or so that that costs them.

Ricer johnny, ends up crashing into a family of five on their way home from grandmas house, All while trying to race an airplane flying overhead. Johnny kills them all, and the insurance company pays out the 2 million or so.

It sucks but there are morons out there that ruin life for everynoe else.
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #58
freestylekid33
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yea i think i'm gonna try and convince my parents to let me go try out the disco's even though i came home from school "sick" today lol. But i was actually sick when i came home, and i hate that how most kids drive like that because i get dirty looks rollin around in my muddy jeep just because they think im one of the idiots that drives as fast as possible. I'll try to get a couple wheelin pics if i can later.
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #59
freestylekid33
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did a little wheelin around my house, flexed on a stump and on the landing of one of my dirtbike jumps... I need a bigger stump now. EDIT sorry i moved the camera a little on that last pic so its a bit blurry lol
without being disco'd

disco'd

Unread 09-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #60
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylekid33 View Post
Did a little wheelin around my house, flexed on a stump and on the landing of one of my dirtbike jumps... I need a bigger stump now. EDIT sorry i moved the camera a little on that last pic so its a bit blurry lol
without being disco'd
[IMGhttp://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/freestylekid33/IMG_1955.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGhttp://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/freestylekid33/IMG_1956.jpg[/IMG]
disco'd
[IMGhttp://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/freestylekid33/IMG_1957.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGhttp://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/freestylekid33/IMG_1958.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGhttp://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/freestylekid33/IMG_1960.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGhttp://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/freestylekid33/IMG_1959.jpg[/IMG]
sweet!

looking good, I tried climbing over a bigass tractor tire the other day and all I did was push it lol...

then I tried a cinderblock in 4H and it seemed like it needed alot of throttle to get on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke94XJ View Post
aw sweet you goit em in, I did the same disco setup, that website is loaded with cool cheap mods.

Oh yeah there are plenty of great teen drivers, I was actually a pretty good driver, it helped spending hours and hours drifting cart stalls at the local target during winter snowstorms. It really helps you learn how to correct, and control a slide. that and I drove my sister and neighbor kids to school on weekdays, however I still only got like a 72 on my driving test (its amazing how everyone can remember their score). The instructor was a *****, seriously everyione I knew who tested with her got under 75.

Oh no dude (xjmuscle98) I think we all know its teen girls that give teens a bad rep, that and ricer johnny.

Chicks get into fender benders like mice get into old jeeps. However they live through it (even though they have like 15 accidents by the time they turn 21). The insurance company pays out the 40gs or so that that costs them.

Ricer johnny, ends up crashing into a family of five on their way home from grandmas house, All while trying to race an airplane flying overhead. Johnny kills them all, and the insurance company pays out the 2 million or so.

It sucks but there are morons out there that ruin life for everynoe else.
Not to hijack, but I honestly hate people who treat cars like toys, or play around in cars like they're toys.

Today while I was driving I was at a light and these kids jumped out and started messing with the kids in the car behind them just playing around.

All they needed was for some idiot to rear end the rear car and have them get hit and then they'd learn its not a playground.

And another time, a friend of mine seen someone he knew, so he like reached across the drivers seat to wave to him outside of my window, I was pretty pissed especially since I couldn't see in front of me with his arm blocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylekid33 View Post
Yea i think i'm gonna try and convince my parents to let me go try out the disco's even though i came home from school "sick" today lol. But i was actually sick when i came home, and i hate that how most kids drive like that because i get dirty looks rollin around in my muddy jeep just because they think im one of the idiots that drives as fast as possible. I'll try to get a couple wheelin pics if i can later.
The truth man.

Honestly, I actually drive slower and accelerate less than grown men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.