Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Should I do this?

3K views 58 replies 27 participants last post by  chris87xj 
#1 ·
So basically I want to sell my Jeep for $4000 and buy another cherokee that is down the street from me for $1400 and put the rest of the money into it... The one i'm looking at is a 1990 (I think) XJ 4.0 Auto 187k VERY clean inside and out, and all stock. My jeep is a 99 XJ 4.0 187k and also very clean.. SO the question is should I do it, or should I just keep my jeep?

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I am a high school student so therefore I dont have a lot of money and if i had all the cash from selling my jeep to put into another I could buy a lift, tint, stereo, metal, ect. ect. all at once plus i already have a set of 33's waiting in my garage.

#5 ·
Well thanks! But my jeep is pretty much a mall crawler and if i had a fresh start with plenty of cash in hand I could build up the new jeep how i want it, whereas if i kept my jeep i would have to build it little by little just to fit 33's

#8 ·
No! Lol keep the 99, I have a 99 sport and when I look at the older jeeps I cringe a little. I mean they're all great don't get me wrong but I think you'll be disappointed, plus you'll have to worry about all of the age problems that WILL happen. Starting over is hard and it seems nice having a bunch of cash to dump into it right away but probably not worth it, good luck either way though!!

#12 ·
keep the 99, I dont think you will be happy with the 90. I sold my 99 with 200k for a 96 with 66k and the difference in interiors bothered me but the first time I went to deliver mail with it the brakes locked up. My 99 was very good Jeep and didnt let me down. I was sorry I sold it.

#14 ·
Just to make the "discussion" fair and balanced: I have an '01 and an '87, and I prefer to drive the '87: The interior quality is better (not all plasticy....) in my opinion (and my '01 is a Limited!), and I like the seat position a lot better: The drivers seat in the '87 is lower to the ground, slides back farther, and still provides for more leg-room for the poor back-seaters. That, and the '87 is a manual where as the '01 is an automatic. The only reason my '01 gets more miles is for child transportation: The '87 is NOT equip to secure modern child seats, nor does it have rear shoulder belts for booster seats.

#16 ·
The beast you know VS. the beast you don't. I would stick with the one you know!

Don't go messing around with strange Jeeps when you have a good one at home or you might get a bad case of Gremlins!!!!!

Chris

#36 ·
Sooooo someone is coming to look at my jeep on friday..........

:peaking:
If you sell your 99 that already has work done to it to buy and older one an start modding it with the money left over, you're an idiot. It doesn't matter how clean or well taken care of you think it is, it's still gonna be 22 years old and 9 years older than your current vehicle. Not only that, but you know your 99 first hand, even if you think the 90 is well taken care of, you dont know it's history other than what someone tells you. You asked all of our advice on what to do and at least 95% of us said to keep the 99. You make the decision on what you think is smart.

#21 ·
I dont see why it can be too bad.. It has just as many miles as mine and its very clean so it was obviously well taken care of. Yeah its a few years older but I cant see why it would be that bad :confused:

#26 ·
Yes the '99 is my first vehicle and I cant lie, i do love it. But lemme put it this way.

No job in the winter = $0

****ty job in the summer = $8.75/hr

So what im trying to say is if i have ~2400 to dump into the 1990 XJ and then keep building off of that this summer with my ****ty wage, i figure i would have a pretty sweet jeep. Just my thoughts

#28 ·
98XJmtar14 said:
No! Lol keep the 99, I have a 99 sport and when I look at the older jeeps I cringe a little. I mean they're all great don't get me wrong but I think you'll be disappointed, plus you'll have to worry about all of the age problems that WILL happen. Starting over is hard and it seems nice having a bunch of cash to dump into it right away but probably not worth it, good luck either way though!!
Cringe at this :p

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.