should i buy an XJ opinion's please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > should i buy an XJ opinion's please

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 01-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
luke19

should i buy an XJ opinion's please

hi a toyota land cruiser man, but my 80 series got totalled and now im looking for a new car,

ive been looking at getting another 80, but i have always loved the XJ,
if i were to get one it be a 97-00 jeep xj,

i just need some convincing, im gonna be looing for one in near perfect condition, with less than 200,000km, 125,000 miles on it
its just i know what im getting with a landcruiser, and i dont with an XJ
i have read alot of review's and 80% of them are good, just mentioning the normal wear and tear, and the XJ's quirks
but the other 20% say they are terrible, but 10% of those are idiots.

but when i read things, about cracked heads and over heating, it makes
me very hesitant,

i dont care about the small things that go wrong, cheap fixes

i know that all the mechanical stuff, etc, driveline,diff,transfercase,trany,and that I6 4.0lt engine, are very solid, so thats good,

when i had the landcruiser, it was my daily drive too work and almost every weekend went offroading with my mates who drive patrols,cruisers,rovers but no jeeps
its mainly mudding, sand dunes, and the rare water crossing, but nothing extreme
now with the cruiser, nothing ever went wrong with it, except the normal wear and tear, i always knew that it didnt matter how bad i got stuck,
it would take me home after

i know that offroading will wear down the parts quicker than normal, i can live with that
if i get the jeep, i dont want to have too be fixing and or replacing things all the time.
if i do get the jeep first thing im doing is getting an OME 2.5 inch lift with 30inch muddies

so what do you guys & gals think,

i really love the XJ, im leaning more to it than another 80, but like i said i dont want to be fixing it every time i go wheeling,
i just need some convincing

Last edited by luke19; 01-27-2013 at 07:10 AM..
luke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
seww
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I have recently bought my second XJ, a 1997.
The 4.0 is awesome, will never let you down. With proper care that is. As far as the cracked heads, that's mostly common on the 2000-2001's. So an XJ from 97-99 is your best choice.

I have driven my -90 for 2 years as a DD and weekend warrior. No off road though, well we went out once last year...
Cant complain. Broken a hose, replaced starter, NSS, and suspension. I have not had that many cars but the Jeeps are solid. Sure a Toyota is a Toyota but it costs waaay more too. If you live in the US, parts are everywhere and cheap.
A bit worse if you live in Europe like me...

But get an XJ, they rule!
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
luke19

thanks for the input
im in australia jeep parts cost alot, but i had 300zx before and that was incredibly bad with parts, but for cruiser parts they are everywhere
luke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

XJs are incredibly cheap and easy to maintain. And their need for maintenance isn't very frequent.

The head cracking is only on 00 and 01, and it is exaggerated by the fact that no one misses a chance to go online and complain when it cracks, but there are tons of people who've never had a problem that never post online that theirs has been great. Even IF a head cracks on an 00 or 01, it's not the end of the world. There are replacement heads without the casting flaw, and if you can turn a wrench, you can replace a 4.0 head.

XJs have less room for error before overheating might occur because of a relatively small radiator, but as long as the cooling system is simply kept in working order, it won't have any problems. Flush the system or replace rad/heater core if obstructions can no longer be flushed out , change the coolant, don't let your water pump's impeller rot away, make sure the hoses are good so they don't collapse, use a quality 195 degree thermostat--basically what I'm saying is that there's no trick to it other than just taking proper care of it like you should any other car.

XJs are fantastic, and I challenge anyone who thinks they're terrible to back-up that claim. I say that not just because I'm a "Jeep" guy. I only got my XJ last year and don't have a dog in this fight really. When searching for a vehicle, I would have been happy with any number of other vehicles, and if there was anything about XJs I wasn't satisfied with, I'd be looking for a new car again.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.