Should I buy This Cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Should I buy This Cherokee?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
chrisshreves

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Should I buy This Cherokee?

I talked with a guy who has rebuilt over 1,000 Cherokee's in the last 10 years. He's getting out of the business for personal reasons and told me about his daughter's Jeep. In her basement is a 2000 Cherokee 4.0 AW4, alloy wheels, and good seats is about all I know. The jeep is wrecked, and he said it "could" be fixed, but the roof has damage and he said its probably more trouble than it's worth. It has 118,000 miles and runs like a top. He has taken care of it since he built it the first time and said it would make a fantastic parts vehicle if I was interested. I'm halfway interested because I have a '99, and my girlfriend has a '00. I know the 00's aren't desirable because of the head issues but he thinks his daughter will let it go for $600-$800. What would you all do?

chrisshreves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If a guy who has built over a thousand Jeeps tells you its probably not worth it, then unless she is giving it to you for free, Id listen to him.

Afterall, with it being his daughters Jeep, he has more to gain by telling you to get it than by telling you not to. Id listen to him.
YnotJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you really want it for a parts truck, offer her $450 and negotiate up from there.
YnotJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Fix it for as cheap as possible and flip it or just get it for parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

No
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

He's rebuilt approximately 100 XJ ' s a year for 10 years ??? Somebody get him a JF membership !!!
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
irydasteelhorse
1995 XJ Cherokee 

id say theres not a bit of this story that is believable. this guy would have to turn out a rebuilt jeep every three and a half days. hes probly got some ocean front property for sale in Colorado too!
irydasteelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds all kinds of fishy, and a much better XJ could be purchased for that money from a much less suspicious seller. What would I do? Laugh at him. 1000 XJ's in 10 years? Ha! His daughter is keeping an XJ in her basement? WTF + Ha!
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rebuild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.