Should I buy it? 2001 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Should I buy it? 2001 Cherokee

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Gainer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Should I buy it? 2001 Cherokee

I found a 2001 Cherokee with 149,000 + miles on it for $3600 bucks (tax tag and title incluided)
AC works!!
Electric windows all go up and down
It has new Cheap tires all the way around.
1/2 a tank of gas
Very little rust
I got on the gas pretty hard and no smoke came pouring out....

The bad
it has a little rust
K&N air filter sticker. I assume it has a K&N air filter
Fram oil filter
It has a clunk when the brake is applied. I have done some searching and that could be a few things. All of which I think I could fix, no problem.

What else should I look for and is this a good buy?

2000 TJ, 2"RC lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone Destination M/T, 4.56 USA Standard Gears, McLeod clutch
2005 WK, 2" Daystar
Amsoil.... GO ERIK BUELL RACING, Geoff May and Danny Eslick!! Hope to see you on the box!!
Gainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Fram oil filter is fine. More important, are there service records?
K&N filter is a cause for needing more oil changes, they let more dirt through (fact, not rumor)... Depending on your area, that could mean more wear and tear.

Clunk if when stopping is probably a slip yoke clunk, if it comes from the center of the vehicle.

Any crazy electrical mods? poke around underneath with a finger, back near the rear spring hangers and floor.

More i learn about XJ engines... the less I would buy one that was built after 97 or 98. those seem to be the sweet spot of Jeep still giving a crap and being a workhorse, and still being updated.
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
gunsworth

sounds fair, not a steal or anything, paid 3500 for our 2000 classic which was spotless about a year and a half ago, engine just blew with 190k (had around 155k on it when we got it)

With what i know now i would have gone with a 99 or older

id keep looking and spend an extra couple hundred more on something with less miles, around the 150K you will nickel and dime yourself to death with all sorts of little crap, ball joints, wheel bearings, tres, brakes, exhaust. With those and our new engine I have spent more on this stupid thing than building up my YJ, not to mention taking up all my spare wrenching time...
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Gainer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't notice mods other than driving lights. Got under it and was very happy to see it was pretty clean. Took the oil filler cap off and it didn't look like the head was cracked. If the head was going to crack it would have done it by now....

2000 TJ, 2"RC lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone Destination M/T, 4.56 USA Standard Gears, McLeod clutch
2005 WK, 2" Daystar
Amsoil.... GO ERIK BUELL RACING, Geoff May and Danny Eslick!! Hope to see you on the box!!
Gainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds decent. Around here that wouldn't last a day.

Where is the rust?

Check all of the fluids you can. Pop off the rad cap again before you get it warm, and inspect inside the coolant bottle.

I agree on the 97-99 engine statment, the 2000 and 2001 models have problems like the 0331 head cracking, or piston skirts failing. Seems I've read a lot of problems about early 2000's 4.0s with piston problems.

Not trying to scare you, but these are always a possibility. I'm not sure how much hype there is about the 0331 heads.

I'd buy it though.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
I didn't notice mods other than driving lights. Got under it and was very happy to see it was pretty clean. Took the oil filler cap off and it didn't look like the head was cracked. If the head was going to crack it would have done it by now....
It can crack at any time, especially if over-heated.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think you have a 2:1 chance of your piston skirts going south than you have to worry about cracked heads. Cracked heads are a symptom of overheating... pistons skirts cracks are a symptom of Chrysler doing a piss-poor job.
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy
I think you have a 2:1 chance of your piston skirts going south than you have to worry about cracked heads. Cracked heads are a symptom of overheating... pistons skirts cracks are a symptom of Chrysler doing a piss-poor job.
I'd like to know where you came up with those numbers. The threads I have read involving piston skirts were a 96, two 98s, a 99 and a 2001 4.0L. Not saying you are wrong but I wouldn't classify it as a common problem or something that only happens on 2000 and later motors.

Head cracks are also not a symptom of overheating. Overheating and lack of maintenance does increase the risk, but I've seen engines with cracked heads that have been cared for meticulously. It is a casting defect and depends more on the heating and cooling cycles of the engine.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'll give you the head cracking thing.

The majority of cracked skirts I have seen are on engines that are after the move to the coil rail. Not just in XJs, but in TJs and (WJs for those years, right?), and it seems to be a 98+ issue until the 4.0 was set aside. the detonation detection is not all that great, combined with weaker pistons in the later models, makes for a bad combo. Ive talked to a few mechanics and a machine shop that sees a lot of these in for the same thing, mainly after I started looking into the problems I have had. My number is more of a guess... I've mainly seen through searching the heads cracking when a person overheats, or changes a rad and not a pump (in combo with the 0331).

But for the OP... it depends on where the tick is. It could be any number of things... some benign, some pretty damning.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.