Should I buy this '00 Cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Should I buy this '00 Cherokee?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
Pipsfc

Should I buy this '00 Cherokee?

New to the forums, so hello all!

I just moved to AK and I'm looking to purchase a second vehicle as a to and from work ride. I'd also like to use it for some fun play time off-road. I found a '00 Cherokee a girl is selling for $4k. My first thought was that that was too much so I offered in the region of $2,200 if I like what I see (going to look at it tomorrow). The jeep has a following additions:

Auto-Starter
Block Heater
New all terrain tires
Spare set of tires with rims
After market stero

As far as I'm concerned, some of those additions shouldn't have much if any baring on the price. What I'm concerned about it that it has 217k miles. I haven't had the chance to ask questions pertaining to engine or tranny issues (I'll be doing that tomorrow).

I guess what I'm trying to determine is $2,200 too much for this vehicle? Also, what things should I be looking for? I've never purchased a vehicle at this age with so many miles. Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Pipsfc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
BomberJeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

it really depends on what XJs in your area are going for. Best bet to get an idea is to KBB it. Also make sure you look the underside over really well. Im not sure how rust is up in AK.
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
teX-J
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Check the oil, make sure the transfer case is in good working order, able to shift to all drive selections, give it a whirl around the block, shifts correctly, no whines from front or rear, don't take anything she tells you for whats said, Check over everything yourself... it's a fair price though if in good condition and working order
teX-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Search 0331 head and look for it. Ask owner if cyl head has been replaced. If she says yes, ask for proof. If she says no, check it thoroughly for problems. Not saying don't buy but know what you are getting.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Pipsfc

Thank you all for the advice. I'm not very mechanic savy so I'm trying to get what info I can. I've looked up the 0331 head issue and I have to be honest, I'm a bit concerned concidering it has 217k miles on it. I don't want to buy something 3-4k and have that issue pop up a few months after I get it.
Pipsfc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

At 14 yrs and 217k I'd be more worried about whether the head is already cracked than I would about whether it's going to cracked if it hasn't yet.
Condition is everything when it comes to price, but 4k is probably high for around here.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Vote here for the November Cherokee Of The Month!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.