Shopping for an XJ - Seeking some opinions regarding my build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Shopping for an XJ - Seeking some opinions regarding my build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Shopping for an XJ - Seeking some opinions regarding my build

Well, I've been Jeepless for about 2.5 years now. Shortly after graduating, my new boss asked me to get rid of the Wrangler for a more professional car. Eager to succeed, I obliged and the Wrangler was replaced with a BMW 540i. I no longer have that job, hate the old boss and despise the BMW.

I've been shopping for an XJ for about two months now. All the good finds keep getting sold from under me. I still plan on waiting it out and below is the planned build. Please critique my thoughts.

I plan to run 265/70R17s on about 2'' of lift- less if I can get away with it. I'll be trimming the front along the fender line and cut-n-folding the rear. I'm not exactly sure how to accomplish 2'' of comfortable lift without spending a fortune. OME rides well, but I would like an adjustable trackbar. That puts me at nearly $1k. I could accomplish alot more with the money at places like IRO with a 3'' kit. Thoughts in this aspect?

Unread 07-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had a boss like that before. He told me I was not allowed to drive my Yj to work with no top or doors. I told him what I do off the clock is none of his damn business , An there isn't anything he can do about it. I was not breaking any laws , My vehicle was 100% street legal. And there was nothing in the employee p&p handbook about vehicles. The following weekend I went on vacation and went wheeling. I drove the Jeep back to work covered in black coal mud from Rausch creek and parked it in the spot his office window faces just so he could see it was still topless. After a few months I quit

Btt: The best way to get a nice riding lift is to piece one together instead of buying the kit it'll save you some $ 90% of the time. If I bought my pre packaged RE Kit with adjustable uppers and lowers I would have spent 1300-1400. I have 900 into my lift by piecing it together.
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sell the BMW and jack it up on 35s. K?
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Heh, I had one of our VPs ask me to take stickers off my Jeep a while back because it looked "trashy enough as it is". I told him if he didn't like what I drove he could provide me a company car otherwise if he didn't like it he could not walk out to the employee lot to look at it or I could park it on the street in front of the dealership instead where customers could see it instead of in our parking lot where they couldn't. He hasn't said **** since.

As for 2" lift, OME leafs, 2" coils and that's all you'll need for 2". Adj trackbar isn't necessary and you don't need longer shocks until 3" unless you're doing A LOT of flexing without swaybars.
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the replies gents. I was really looking forward to building an XJ but a nice WJ came long for a price I couldn't resist.

I picked it up and haven't looked back. I haven't started a build thread yet but I've got some interesting plans for this WJ.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.