Sell the jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Sell the jeep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 06-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Bock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sell the jeep?

Okay. So I'm 16 and bought a 96 Cherokee country as my first vehicle. It was a pain at first because the hood latch/cable was broken, so you had to take the entire front end/grille apart to get the hood open. Have since put hood pins on the vehicle because the latch was rusted open. Looks decent IMO. The jeep has 231,xxx on the clock. It has an aftermarket stereo with a crud antenna. Has some major cancer in the back and a bent bumper from sliding into the back of a ballast (darn posts in wal-marts Parkin lot!) I love my jeep to death. But I can't afford it anymore. It's a white 96 Cherokee 4*4 aw4 with 235/75/r15.

Can anyone provide guidance on any ideas to go with here? Please and thanks. You guys are the best...

If it breaks it just means upgrade
Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

What exactly can't you afford about it?
mtb_crzd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

It will be a hard task to find a vehicle that is any cheaper to maintain and operate. I wouldn't expect more than 1500 to 2000 out of yours and a replacement vehicle for that price isn't going to be in new condition.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

Most vehicles in that range are total pos's. That being said it is very possible to get a nicer jeep for what you can get from yours plus a bit more.
mtb_crzd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Bock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The gas is the major killer. I get like 15 mpg. And that's driving nice on the free way. The thing is I love my jeep and wanna stay with a jeep. But I wanna get a stick, that way I can kinda improve gas. I mean I undertake a 1500-2000 car won't be the best. But I mean it'll be better on gas! I drive all over the place for work and things. Girlfriend lives a good 30 mins away mostly freeway. But she's gonna be going to school in Chicago. So I kinda wanna be able to drive out and see her without filling my tank 3 times. I mean if I can get a tj or a yj I'll gladly do it.

Unread 06-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
DeftwillP
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, trade an automatic brick for a stickshift brick. Sounds like you got yourself a plan.

Try a tuneup yet?
DeftwillP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
Bock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just did a tune up bout 500 miles ago. Probably less actually. And I'm nit sure if you meant that to be sarcasm or not... With the whole auto for stick haha.

Unread 06-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
warthog85
1985 XJ Cherokee 

well if you sell and get a civic you will double your gas, but your girlfriend may not like you anymore someday and then you will be still driving a civic. don't worry to much about gas all trucks get about 15 to 18mpg. figure a way to make a few more dollars than you allready do or eat out less. if you like your jeep then keep it maybe get a girlfriend who lives closer.
warthog85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Bock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Either way I still drive alot. I love the space the xj gives me. And the ability to randomly mud is amazing. But a civic is mote economical, let the flamin begin. But I dint wanna make a ricer. I merely wanna either fund a way to get better gas mileage or to know what to ask for my jeep. I don't wanna leave the jeep name honestly.

Unread 06-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Selling your jeep is like selling your soul... Seems like a great idea at first but then after a while you just feel a big emptiness... Then you go and kick the jeep devils butt and get your dang jeep back.

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #11
MCObray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock View Post
Either way I still drive alot. I love the space the xj gives me. And the ability to randomly mud is amazing. But a civic is mote economical, let the flamin begin. But I dint wanna make a ricer. I merely wanna either fund a way to get better gas mileage or to know what to ask for my jeep. I don't wanna leave the jeep name honestly.
Went through the same thing about 9 months ago. Sold my Jeep because I was SO determined to find a better car on gas than my XJ. That last about a whole week before I decided that an XJ was the one for me. Due to the simple reasons of; 4x4 Capability, Space, Comfort, and the fact that it was my first car. Jeeps are great vehicles and I always will try my best to have at least one in my driveway. .
MCObray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
Bock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I know. Which is why I'm debating so heavily. I want better gas mileage but j wanna be able to have fun like I do with my jeep. I can't very well park a civic or a cavy on my buddy's integra, or his cavy cuz he wouldn't move it... But I'm thinking maybe sell my jeep and get a small car, save up and buy a tj or a yj? Idk. Like I know I wont be driving once j leave for boot this time next year, so it's not really worth it to worry about is it? Go ahead and make some bank then stash y signing bonus and when I come home buy a nicer one and go to freaking town right? Or j could do a complete overhaul on this one. I mean there's so many options. I'm just looking for guidance from the guys who have the real world experience . You know what I mean?

Unread 06-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #13
Osmosiz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i would only sell the jeep to get a better jeep.. not a civic. if money is an issue.. get a better job to feed your addiction

will work for jeep parts
Osmosiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #14
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think you would be happy with a TJ or a YJ. They have very little room inside and most drive like crap on the freeway due to light weight and a very short wheelbase, along with being tall and square to catch all the wind. The honda/toyota would be your best bet if you can find a decent one that isn't gayed up with all the ricer crap on it in your price range.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

keep the jeep. hondas are gay.ill friggen run a honda right over
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.