Rustys 4.5 lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Rustys 4.5 lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Cheddarbob
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Rustys 4.5 lift

Does anyone have this or have experience with it?
would you recommend it?

Cheddarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have a lick of experience with the lift myself, I have a very good friend of mine that does enjoy it but he does not wheel hard at all.

The folks over at Pirate4x4 think it's one of the worst made...

I personally use and really like Rubicon Express.
slvrathlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Slow86prix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have it, and would not recommend it unless on a budget rig. Springs are great, everything else with the kit is so-so, it work fine, just dont like the way the shocks ride, control arms suck, track bar sucks, although i upraded mine to their better one. Buy Rubicon express
Unread 07-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
afguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have the Rustys 4.5, but I got all the upgrades. The adjustable flex arms are some of the beefiest Ive ever seen or used. I dont like the idea that the tracbar uses a regular tie rod end, so I go the upgraded end and the frame mount and I prefer its design over the rubicon express heim joint. The hydrolic shocks are stiff, but they all are at first. If you want a smooth ride go with the OME nitrochargers, but they will cost you. To install the rear leaf springs, I had to take the packs apart because they were arched too much to connect them too the frame and shackles. Once it was just one leaf it was easy to flex it to fit then put the packs back togather with c-clamps. They dont come with break lines and I hate using relocators because you have to bend the stock lines. Just go get a set of lines for a 95 wrangler w/o abs. You can get all 3 for $50. Also another good thing about this kit is that less people have to run slip yoke eliminator than those with RE 3.5 kits, probably due to the 6 degree shims that are included. You will have to get some sway bar disconnects for it if you plan on doing any serious offroading.
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Cheddarbob
1994 XJ Cherokee 

oh crud. I'm so confused now. I don't know what to do help me out. Here is whats up I'm going to Vermont for college I'm gonna be snowing out there, i need something that will get me through that and some off roadin during the spring time.
then ill come back to cali and do some desert stuff

so whats gonna benift me the most.
Unread 07-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i personally love mine. i had a Rubicon 3.5" superflex but i switched it out for the Rustys 4.5" with full packs and i love it. but i did have the experiance with the Leafs not wanting to go all the way accrost to the frame and shackel and what i ended up doing was just putting a jack underneath the leafs and jacking it up to make it "stretch" out to the mounts. but overall i love the lift, but i do agree with MAYBE some better shocks but i can live with mine im used to em. and also the Kit gets actually about 5.5" of lift. but do put a spacer in front cause it sits a little nose heavy. heres a pic of mine with 33x12.5's
TwistedcaB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Cheddarbob
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedcaB- View Post
i personally love mine. i had a Rubicon 3.5" superflex but i switched it out for the Rustys 4.5" with full packs and i love it. but i did have the experiance with the Leafs not wanting to go all the way accrost to the frame and shackel and what i ended up doing was just putting a jack underneath the leafs and jacking it up to make it "stretch" out to the mounts. but overall i love the lift, but i do agree with MAYBE some better shocks but i can live with mine im used to em. and also the Kit gets actually about 5.5" of lift. but do put a spacer in front cause it sits a little nose heavy. heres a pic of mine with 33x12.5's
how does it get 5.5
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Brand new equipment possibly. I have the 3.5 RE full pack with Monotubes and have netted just a bit of 4".

Wicked nice ride and great flex.
slvrathlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Slow86prix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarbob View Post
oh crud. I'm so confused now. I don't know what to do help me out. Here is whats up I'm going to Vermont for college I'm gonna be snowing out there, i need something that will get me through that and some off roadin during the spring time.
then ill come back to cali and do some desert stuff

so whats gonna benift me the most.
I wouldnt even go with 4.5" to get away from a lot of problems just use a 3" lift, no need for sye, no transfer case drop that screws up your mount. Not as much messed up geometry. And you could still run 31s. and even a stock cherokee with some decent tires will work well in snow. thats just my 2c. but its all on opinion.
Unread 07-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
Slow86prix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afguy View Post
I have the Rustys 4.5, but I got all the upgrades. The adjustable flex arms are some of the beefiest Ive ever seen or used. I dont like the idea that the tracbar uses a regular tie rod end, so I go the upgraded end and the frame mount and I prefer its design over the rubicon express heim joint.

i also like my upgraded track bar and mount from them, not trying to bash them, its just that after you upgrade everything to what you have, it comes out to the same price as rubicon express.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.