Rusty rockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Rusty rockers

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
crazjeep

Rusty rockers

I was just looking at 98 cherokee and being from new england theres always the rust factor. How much of a hassle is it to replace rockers and how much i should drop on a truck with 91000 miles that has a rust problem on the lower passenger side door and rocker panel? Any thoughts?

crazjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a similar problem, not rust, but messed up rockers, from what I gather the mob mentality is build it stronger, that's why I am going cut out my rockers and replace them with 2x6 Box steel, taking little pieces from what I have seen other people have done. From what I gather its not all that much of a hassle, once you get the materials and a plan of action, it should only take a weekend or so. And 91K miles? Shes got a lot of life left in her, unless the unibody is shot.
JerpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
crazjeep

That was my big concern whether or not rusted out/rotted out rockers are a sign there is damage structure-wise. Is it worth dropping $2500-3000?
crazjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your best bet is to look at it, and crawl under and check it out for yourself. As for worth, it all depends on the condition, i'm not a very good judge of price because i lucked out when i got mine, the guy wanted it gone and didnt want to mess with few cosmetic and electrical issues it had, so i got my 2000 with 120k for $600 with very little rust.
JerpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This

looks like this

Moisture gets up in there behind the sheet metal and slowly rots it away, from the inside out. So look out.

The replacement isn't that big of a deal but time and material consuming.

99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.