Rusty floors..how to fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Rusty floors..how to fix?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 01-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
Mike934

Rusty floors..how to fix?

Well guys pulled the carpet and have minor rust going on. By minor I mean floors feel solid but have a few pen holes and some pitting & some drilled holes. I wire wheeled the rust down to clean metal but now I'm stuck. My last jeep was easy and rust free.

Anyway, some tard drilled holes in the passenger floor..probably because the jeep had been flooded once before or something. So I need to fix those holes & fix the 2-3 minor rust holes that are there as well. Floor feels sturdy and passed the screw driver stab test..
Few small rust holes and pitted metal.

Close up

Drilled holes

Another pitted area of the floor. Again still feels strong and passed the screw driver test.

So I have brand new bedliner ready to go down. 1 quart of chassis saver. & some silicon. And the 110 welder.
Do I weld the holes shut? I was thinking weld, use a dab of silicon for a water to tight seal? Then maybe chassis saver then bedliner? What do I do about the pitting..leave it be?
I am also going to silicon over & around the drain plugs to make sure they seal up proper before I lay bedliner down.

Unread 01-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
jeepster383

Weld up the holes if you can. Then chasis saver
jeepster383 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Mike934

Didn't grab pics before I layed chassis saver. But I plugged the holes with straight cooper wire..easy peezy. No light showed through, so I called it good. Layed a small dab of silicone over that just to ensure a water sight seal.
Layed silicone over & around the drain plugs to be safe as well. And they layed down about 3/4 quart of straight chassis saver. It's drying now. Ill lay bedliner over that then my sound deadener.
If anyone cares to check out the process follow my build thread here,
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...etter-1693129/
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

RUST? Where? that's nothing. I had complete holes in my floors. Thought I was going to lose a kid through them rolling down the road. Take a wire wheel or flap disk to them to get rid of the rust and some rust converter. If it is too thin or rusted through at all just cut it out and patch it with some sheet metal. If you can't weld or don't have anyone to do it for you just slap the patch down with some self tapping sheet metal screws or rivets and make sure you seal it all up. Then bedliner over top of it and you're good.

If you ever need full replacement floor pans check out classic 2 current. I think I paid $70 - $80 for the fronts and I forget on the rears... good luck.
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
RUST? Where? that's nothing.
X2, I guess in southern California they don't get much rust, so that is bad by their standards??

The drill holes are probably worse than the actual rust and likely what caused the "rust" (by allowing water to get in). Steel rivets would probably been better than copper wire (so you wouldn't have dissimilar metals contacting each other) but plugging and sealing the holes and treating the "rust" with some rust-inhibitor paint should do the trick.

Now here's some rust (not my Jeep, just random pics from the internet):

dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
X2, I guess in southern California they don't get mush rust, so that is bad by their standards??

The drill holes are probably worse than the actual rust and likely what caused the "rust" (by allowing water to get in). Steel rivets would probably been better than copper wire (so you wouldn't have dissimilar metals contacting each other) but plugging and sealing the holes and treating the "rust" with some rust-inhibitor paint should do the trick.

Now here's some rust (not my Jeep, just random pics from the internet):

That's just crazy. I'm glad we don't have it like that..actually this jeep came from Colorado its whole life, sat in a scrap yard. A buddy picked it up for like 500 & it sat in his yard for 6 months when I came across it. 900 in back fees & 600 cash to buy it for a total of 1500 out the door. Not too bad.
I'm surprised its not worse lol.
Unread 01-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hahahahahhaa.. . . . That looks like what MY Jeep looked like
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.