Rust - POR15 vs. Rust Bullet vs. Eastwood Rust Encapsulator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Rust - POR15 vs. Rust Bullet vs. Eastwood Rust Encapsulator

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Jeep Cherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rust - POR15 vs. Rust Bullet vs. Eastwood Rust Encapsulator

The Jeep is off the road for a while so I'm going to clean up the underside a bit. I live in NY so this thing is as rusty as they come. (currently in the middle of a floor pan replacement). I've started looking at the POR 15 and found that its got a lot of steps involved and also read that it didnt hold up as some people had wanted. I searched some more and found rust bullet. I found a nice write up with pics of a really rotted truck painted over with the rust bullet. Then I found the eastwood rust encapsulator which seems to be a damn good product. If anyone else has this prob let me know how severe your rust is, what you used, how involved was the prep work and of course... did it work. Heres some links to the 3 products I'm looking at.

http://www.por15.com/

http://www.rustbullet.com/

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions.html

Heres a link to the rust bullet in action. Looks like it coats nice and would look ever better with a coat of undercoating.

http://www.coloradok5.com/rustbulletreview.shtml

Jeep Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rust converters do not work and do not hold up. They are also very difficult to use with body filler and standard automotive paints. I know, I have tried it.

POR-15 works as advertised only if you carefully follow the directions and use all the prep products to clean and acid etch the bare metal. I think if somebody has complaints about POR-15 they did not follow the directions. POR-15 once dry can be sanded smooth and body fillers and standard paints can be applied over it. I have have used POR-15 on my rock-rails, bumper, axles, and the rusty upper corners of the windshield.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Of those I've only used POR-15. I've used it on numerous items, with hit and miss success to some extent. Now I do prep and prep and prep so I can't be accused of not doing that right. In fact I'm sure there's been times that I removed too much rust and lost tooth for the paint to grab onto, then I added back on with the etching product. The good news though is if it sticks, it sticks. I painted my D30 when I regeared 4 years earlier and I would say at least 85% of the paint was still intact and as good as the day I originally painted it. Took a wire wheel to the bad spots and touched them up. Now two years later the axle is looking much better. Not that I gave it a real good eyeballing, but I would say it is predominently still in pristine shape.

I know a good chance of one of the problems I may have experienced would possibly be pin holes in the paint from application in high humidity. Humidity causes it to dry faster and does cause somewhat of a bubbling in the paint. Generally I do two coats so most of the time the second coat catches what the first doesn't. But not always needless to say.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
spike42718
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im planning on doing the underside of my tub and bumpers with por15. They say it isnt uv resistant though. I wonder if I went over it with uv resistant rattle can paint and some flat black, how it would look/hold up? Anybody else try this?
spike42718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
FG Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i've used por 15 a bunch as well. the biggest issue is if it's to humid is dries way to fast and get little pin head bubbles in it. However if you follow the prep steps the will stick and stay. I did the upper corners of the windshield on one of my old xj's and it still looked great 2 years later.

I know a lot of guys who swear by the monster liner chassis saver. i have a couple of friends in the auto body repair and they have all told me chassis saver is better performing product then por 15.
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
floridajpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

I,ve used Rust Bullet and it seems to work as advertised but you have to make sure you prep the serious rust right before applying. The surface type rust you can just paint over and it works great.
floridajpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

POR-15 has a UV resistant top coat paint. Follow the application instructions on the POR-15 website and you can top coat with any paint.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
POR-15 has a UV resistant top coat paint. Follow the application instructions on the POR-15 website and you can top coat with any paint.

I've cheated and rattlecanned primer as it dried. When its just a bit tacky Ill hit it with some primer then topcoat. Its worked well so far

I too find POR hit and miss and rust converters total garbage.
I found that if you use it on heavy scale straight from the can it sticks like death.
I used it on my heavily pitted Torino roof after following all the instructions to a T and it peeled.
On my 62 F100 I did the bedfloor from the can and it stayed with no issues for 3 years before I sold it.
I also found on that project if you don't topcoat what happens. It turns chalky and gets an everything you put in back.

I talked to a painter I know-The only autopainter that didn't make me homicidal and he basically
said the zinc the POR Metal ready leaves behind will defeat adhesion.
I found it to be true no matter how much I rinsed it off. When POR peels you'll want to kill yourself cause stripping it sucks

Basically for rust proofing POR is great on heavy scale rust used WITHOUT the prep products.

For rust removal I use this:
RUST REMOVER
Its spendy but it works fantastic. If you don't epoxy prime IMMEDIATELY it'll flash rust in seconds. The poor man's substitute can be found at Home Depot.
ZEP makes a rust remover that takes a day or so to get rid of rust. The Blue lightening takes about 30 minutes.
Unread 12-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The best way to "convert" and "treat" rust is to just get rid of it. Sandblast or something if you have to, THEN use some sort of zinc primer and paint over that.

I live in upstate NY too and those rust stuff things don't work. Get rid of rust.

This spring I'm planning on repainting the bottom of my XJ. It isn't rusty ... yet and going to keep it from doing so. Sanding down anything that has rust and painting it all black.
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

After looking into a few of those myself, Im sold on Chassis-saver. It seems to be everything I want for an undercoat.

Now for an interior floor coating, not so sure.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
mizman

Chassis Saver

This Chassis Saver stuff looks good. What finish did you get? The gloss or satin?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
After looking into a few of those myself, Im sold on Chassis-saver. It seems to be everything I want for an undercoat.

Now for an interior floor coating, not so sure.

Last edited by mizman; 01-30-2012 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: typo
mizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Turned this............

To this.......

I just vacumed it then coated it with the above, I realize it's not the best way but I covered it with Second Skin dampening mat......

I did it in September so there hasn't been to much time but as far as I can tell it's holding up, and is mush quieter ride to boot.
99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ive used the Eastwood rust encapsulator on the frame of a 62 pontiac bonneville, the stuff works great.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
LobstahJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Old thread is old.
Anyway, can you use the POR15 over the factory 'undercoating'? I just got the cleanest, most rust free 01 XJ in all of New England, and I plan on keeping it that way. I want to coat the underside real good, and I will be pulling the entire interior out and painting the floors with whatever I decide. Not taking any chances with this one!
LobstahJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
BigBlue9044
1959 CJ5 

X2 with ^^^^^

Working on my '59 CJ5 and that undercoat is a BEYOTCH!
BigBlue9044 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.