Which Rough Country 3" lift kit is better? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Which Rough Country 3" lift kit is better?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmaine97 View Post
Lime, did you see the part about $255? That is a compelling reason. It's a first car for a 16 year old, keep it cheap but keep it fun.

OP, will your son be helping with the install?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmaine97 View Post
Okay, I'm convinced. I didn't realize there were other kits, or pieced-together kits, on the market for similar prices. When I bought my lift I remember being hesitant about piecing together a lift. It was comforting to buy the whole package from one place.

Motorcharge, thanks for a good answer. I hope I didn't come across as snarky.
I had to replace the ball joints and bushings in my RC track bar every 10,000 miles. By 10,000 miles the ball joints were loose enough to use as a rattle noise maker. The shock performance went from "This is okay" to "This is crap" within the same time period. Ultimately the only thing that was fine with my RC lift were the springs. Which I ended up giving away with the rest of the parts making a college student very happy. I made him aware of the issues and how to resolve them. It was a decent starting point for whole though.

LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge

You typically get what you pay for and thats true 99% of the time with cheap lifts. Doesnt take much searching to find out why you dont want a RC lift.
Honestly, for a DD, it's a great kit. Hell, I've run the kit twice and haven't had any issues with the full length add a leaf. I've best the piss out of it. Never had an issue with sagging. Just put some 5100's on it and it should ride pretty good.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My only issue with my RC kit is that it lives up to its name, *rough*
No problems with quality or customer service though.
I have no problem recommending them for any of the "add-on" parts they make.

For the OP, have you had a look at this site:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...e-xj/index.htm
Almost every kit available is on display. Great place to get an idea of what to choose.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
briandunning
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks to everyone. Honestly, I think the best advice is "Don't put a new driver onto a lift just yet." Maybe I'm being a little too eager trying to live vicariously through my son. I will give it a few months cooling-off period before doing anything.
briandunning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandunning View Post
Thanks to everyone. Honestly, I think the best advice is "Don't put a new driver onto a lift just yet." Maybe I'm being a little too eager trying to live vicariously through my son. I will give it a few months cooling-off period before doing anything.
Wheel it stock and upgrade as you need is your best bet. Start with some skids and basic recovery points. XJs are very capable for what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
You typically get what you pay for and thats true 99% of the time with cheap lifts. Doesnt take much searching to find out why you dont want a RC lift.
RC change their design with their arms a couple years back and people seem to be very happy, myself included. They used to have busing that wore out quickly and had problems but that isn't the case anymore.

Things change, RC seems to have stepped up and is making a decent product.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ro...6/index14.html

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #22
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Whichever one with full leaf packs is fine, forget the aal. Rough country will get bashed but they honestly are a good company and their products are sub par. The reason why they are cheap is because they sell so many kits. The lifts are good for a more onroad vehicle than a trail rig.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.