Roof Mount vs Back mount. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Roof Mount vs Back mount.

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Aero
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Roof Mount vs Back mount.

I've heard differing opinions on both rear Tire mount and Roof, now I'm confused as to what I should get.

Both seem to pose issues weight wise I've heard.. but is that really true?

Is one REALLY more efficient or better then the other?

Also,
If you have a mount, post up a pic, I'd like to see how you have yours set up.

Thanks guys.

Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

it might help if you state what it is your trying to mount, i assume its a spare tire.. just busting your balls

id say the rear tire carrier is more efficiant because of the wind drag. throwing it on the roof would cause loss of MPG and with gas prices every mile counts.
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Aero
1996 XJ Cherokee 

OH dude. Hahah I didn't even notice I didn't say tire carrier. Hurrdurr..
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Aero
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
it might help if you state what it is your trying to mount, i assume its a spare tire.. just busting your balls

id say the rear tire carrier is more efficiant because of the wind drag. throwing it on the roof would cause loss of MPG and with gas prices every mile counts.
Also thanks for that, I'm leaning towards rear carrier..
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Haha dont worry about mileage when you drive a jeep. Its basically a personal preference.
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
xj_96_FP

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had a spare tire mount that went into the hitch, it swung down, and was a pain in the a**, i have a trocko rack now with the tire mounted on the roof and its much better, dont even know its there. Much better. Take a look
snow1-26-11-003.jpg  
xj_96_FP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Aero
1996 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=RCK

I was thinking this one as well..
Unread 05-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
Brave-new-world

Think it boils down to preference, a friend of mine doesn't want the rear mount since his wife DD's the rig periodically. A little harder for her to move the tire out of the way and such so he is choosing the roof.
Brave-new-world is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
1FSTREX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I love the look of rear tire carriers and roof mounted tires. But the rear mounted tire always seem more "efficient" to me because when you start thinking about a lifted jeep running 33" + tires its going to be hard as hell getting that tire up and down from the roof if you need it. Where as on the rear of the vehicle its easily accessible. With this said i still went with a roof mounted spare time for a couple of reason. First reason is most rear tire carriers are extremely expensive. Second, when running larger tires you can pretty much count your rear viability out of the question. Lastly and what was the deal killer for me, is that every time i want to get into my hatch i have to open and swing that damn tire carrier. I know it seems minimal but i get into my hatch a lot and it would be a huge inconsistence. So i went with a roof mounted!

Just my .02 cents.

Will
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport (red) - 6.5" RC Long Arm, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ, RC 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, 2.2 Performance Shocks, OR-FAB Rock Slider Bumper, Smitty Built XRC 8.0 Synthetic Line Winch, Kargo Master Safari Rack with HiLift, Spare tire, and Jerry Can. *TOTALED* Stupid drivers! *US Army*
1FSTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

rear mounted carrier would be superior IMO. less drag, easier accessability, less top heavy, protects rear of jeep, strengthens rear unibody. now if none of those matter and you want to do it on the cheap, then the roof would be a better option. i have my 33" spare sitting in my cargo area at the moment.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhart63 View Post
Haha dont worry about mileage when you drive a jeep. Its basically a personal preference.
i dont care if i drove an 18 wheeler, every drop of gas counts with gas prices now..
Unread 05-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Also thanks for that, I'm leaning towards rear carrier..
there are advantages to both, personally i love the look for both, but for the roof the wind drag is a HUGE issue to me with MPG loss. and the loss of visability on the rear is another big issue, i personally dont keep my spare with me. im rarely ever far from home as to where i couldnt have someone bring it to me. if i am going far or on a wheeling trip i may throw it in the cargo area, but even that doesnt happen much. eventually im going to be running bigger rear shocks through my floors and there will be a bar ataching both shock hoops together, and it will be mounted to that.

bu what size tires are you running? theres w thread somewhere about modding the rear seat latches up a little to clear a 32" tire, im sure a 33 aired down it would fit. im on 35's and tried to stuff that in the stock lotaction multiple ways but that was a huge FAIL
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on not having the tire on the roof. I did that for a day and could feel it slowing me down on the highway. Anything bigger than a stock sized tire would probably act like a giant sail.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
XJH-007

Ever tried lifting a mounted 33" tire above your head??

Rear.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mehhhh ....

Just be indecisive like me ..... and cover all the bases ....

Either location has faults ... Its just a matter of working out which way has the least faults for your requirements.

As for the additional fuel use with a roof mount .... How many hundreds of miles are you going to travel non stop at highway speeds, to notice the difference ?? .... My little stock wheel only costs me about 1mpg on a trip - but maybe the larger and knobby tyres have more effect ??
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.