which roll on liner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > which roll on liner?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

which roll on liner?

Been searching and searching cant really find a solid answer... Thinking about doing my hood, rear quarter panel, front grill, roof, and rockers... Want to use a roll on or brush liner.But worried about fading, have heard that you can use gloss paint to bring back the shine. Anybody have a product they have had on the EXTERIOR of there jeep for a year or more and still like the way it looks. I want to protect my jeep but still have it look good years to come.

Thanks

jmccallie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
kathryndiann
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccallie View Post
Been searching and searching cant really find a solid answer... Thinking about doing my hood, rear quarter panel, front grill, roof, and rockers... Want to use a roll on or brush liner.But worried about fading, have heard that you can use gloss paint to bring back the shine. Anybody have a product they have had on the EXTERIOR of there jeep for a year or more and still like the way it looks. I want to protect my jeep but still have it look good years to come.

Thanks
Herculiner all the way. I LOVE it, we have had it on our TJ for a year + and its still comparible to the day we put it on! (we had it inside and exterior below our doors and on fenders)
kathryndiann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I did the tub of my old xj with herculiner and loved it. Just heard that it fades out quick outside... good to know. By the way (my wife is very computer savvy) so I had her do some kind of photo shop pics of what I wanted to do, and completely changed my mind Looked awful Impo, so just doin the rockers up to the bottom of my cladding.
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
kathryndiann
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks, I did the tub of my old xj with herculiner and loved it. Just heard that it fades out quick outside... good to know. By the way (my wife is very computer savvy) so I had her do some kind of photo shop pics of what I wanted to do, and completely changed my mind Looked awful Impo, so just doin the rockers up to the bottom of my cladding.
Yeah we didn't venture off our rockers but still turned out nice, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

We also bought a $80-125 bedliner gun from O'Rileys to apply ours too, worked wonders!
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
kathryndiann
1996 XJ Cherokee 

about 3 years ago we used duplicolor and it faded and even started to peel in spots. A year ago we put the herculiner on our rockers and loved it (didn't seem to fade noticibly) so we did our interior. But this is just my experience
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, looks like herculiner! And since I still have about a half gallon left, it will save me some cash=). Got some edge lock painters tape and couple cheap brushes. Tried the roller but it sends specs every where, had better luck with a cheap brush in the past. Plus seems to get more of the texture with dabbing a brush. Will take some pics before and after.

Kind of off topic here but wondering if you guys can help me out here. Have any of you fixed rust spots and then tried to match your factory color? Live in Norther Michigan, so rust is a huge problem up here. Jeep is good condition rockers are solid (hints why I am further protecting them with herculiner). Doesnt matter if you wash your jeep every 2 weeks ,rockers rot up here... Anyways back to my question, got a couple of the normal jeep rust bubble problem areas. Roof, below and below the rear window. And would like to fix them myself (have a buddy in the body shop industry, but why pay when I can do it myself?) Has anybody had any luck fixing spots and getting the paint to match factory?
Thanks
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Check out Monstaliner. There's a vendor for it on here and they give a JF discount. It also comes in like 20+ colors.

I did Herc on my truck bed a few months ago and it's already scratched through in a number of spots and faded like hell from the sun. I wouldn't waste my money on it for exterior use again.
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Check out Monstaliner. There's a vendor for it on here and they give a JF discount. It also comes in like 20+ colors.

I did Herc on my truck bed a few months ago and it's already scratched through in a number of spots and faded like hell from the sun. I wouldn't waste my money on it for exterior use again.
Has anybody had any good experience with the monstaliner? Anybody have any pics of it on their vehicle? Luckily its hot out so I just redid my brakes and rotors today. Didnt start prepping the rockers yet. So this seems to be the ongoing debate... Which one holds its color the longest with out fading? Like I said earlier I have a 1/2 gallon of herculiner but do not want to put it on if there is something better that holds up longer and doesnt fade...

Maybe if you guys have any pics of different products on the exterior after a year. Please post them

Thanks
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Has anybody had any good experience with the monstaliner? Anybody have any pics of it on their vehicle? Luckily its hot out so I just redid my brakes and rotors today. Didnt start prepping the rockers yet. So this seems to be the ongoing debate... Which one holds its color the longest with out fading? Like I said earlier I have a 1/2 gallon of herculiner but do not want to put it on if there is something better that holds up longer and doesnt fade...

Maybe if you guys have any pics of different products on the exterior after a year. Please post them

Thanks
There's a ton of pictures and testimonials in the vendor thread in the vendor section and there's a picture request thread in that section with a bunch of Jeeps done inside and out in it. I've yet to see anything but positive reactions to it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/m...riors-1376308/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i...-liner-875162/
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks that stuff looks great! I was skeptical on colors but that stuff looks pretty dang cool. Do you know if they have a sample kit they can send out with colors?
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'll be the one to say it raptor liner, you can tint it match body color if your choose all you gotta do is buy the tintable version. I have the black on my armor, rock sliders, and its holding up great. 3....2......1..... Where's magnetman

Its also cheaper the monstaliner
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Thanks that stuff looks great! I was skeptical on colors but that stuff looks pretty dang cool. Do you know if they have a sample kit they can send out with colors?
They'll send you free color chips up to 5 or 6.
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used Monstaliner and am very happy with it. I just used the black but it hasn't faded at all on my rockers (its been about a year so far). On a previous jeep I used herculiner and didn't like the surface (held dirt and impossible to clean) and after 6 months it was noticeably lighter in color.

Lots of people like Raptor liner too though.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well ordered the free 6 color chips, although I think I am already sold on the predator color from monstaliner.... Jeep is the steel blue color now, so we will see when the chips get here. Kind of hard to picture the xj done in all predator green. Nervous it will look more like a teenage driver, whats your guys thoughts. Have the rough country 4.5 in lift in the hatch, brand new 32 in wrangler mts with new rims, and the stinger winch bumper should be here next week, then also ordering some bushwackers to give you a idea of what the jeep is going to look like... Be a busy man the next couple weeks=)

Last edited by jmccallie; 07-05-2012 at 04:51 AM..
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #15
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Well ordered the free 6 color chips, although I think I am already sold on the predator color from monstaliner....
I plan on doing my whole exterior that color.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.