Road Trip Check List - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Road Trip Check List

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineORS Recovery RopeSynthetic Winch Rope from ORS

Unread 02-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Road Trip Check List

alright, I have a 1400 mile round trip camping adventure coming up next month and was wondering if anyone has anything to add to my check list of things to freshen up or check before I go. The people I'm going with are convinced the Jeep is going to explode and I am determined to prove them wrong.
  • I will be doing an oil change a week before had
  • The Coolant is all new
  • The transmission fluid is new
  • I'll have the driveline angles front and back squared off by then
  • I installed Cruise Control
  • I'll have a spare tire
  • The roof rack will be off

Anything else I should do before taking my almost 200K mile jeep out through Arizona and up towards middle California?

COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
MaskedMallard
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe some a Water-Wetter???

Read this thread & pick & choose.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...ready-2833346/
MaskedMallard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh awesome! I'll bring some fluids, hoses, belt and u joints then! Anything else anyone wants to say?
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 02-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

flashlight and $6000 for a car to get you back home
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil
flashlight and $6000 for a car to get you back home
Shhhh don't be so negative
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 02-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
andrewswen

Phone, wallet, gas...in that order!
andrewswen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

So basically being some spares and don't worry too much?
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 02-17-2015, 01:07 AM   #8
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did about half that mileage last summer in my 15-year-old rig. Fullsize spare, spare sensors for what matters, tools, 31s, roof rack, and...it was a nice ride that instilled much confidence in my XJ. Having the money (well, a credit card) to get home if need be made me feel a whole lot better about traveling with it.
Unread 02-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

What sensors?
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Camshaft and crankshaft. A TPS wouldn't be a bad addition as those 3 can all leave you motionless. I have a regular load I carry all the time just because I don't want to have to remember to pack it when wheeling. I have carry a spare serpentine belt, fuel pump (not the whole assembly, just the little pump), and an assortment of fuses. Tire plugs, 12v air compressor, 3 different basic tool sets plus a bag of screwdrivers, wrenches, and extensions. There's probably more I'm forgetting.
Unread 02-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Everyone thought my xj would explode on my 2k mile round trip. It got us there then 200 miles back home before it dropped a piston skirt, still drove it somewhere around 100 miles to a hotel then to a uhaul to tow her home, I almost wanted to believe it would make it home haha.
I'd say change your diff fluids, if you haven't I doubt its ever been done, when I did my rear it had a shot of water in it and my front had maybe half a quart of some nasty looking stuff I don't consider gear oil..... I almost put it off till after the trip to smh.
Geese up everything real well change oil and go. I know my story is a little scary but she got me to my destination and for me that's all that matters, don't let it scare you i was just unlucky. Out of everything on a xj I'd never expect to blow the legenday 4.0.
Unread 02-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I'll have a spare belt, spare hoses, all new fluids and hoses and belt, will have a crank position sensor and Throttle position sensor (no camshaft because i cant find one?), fluids and a spare and then a lot of sacrifices to the pagan road trip gods. also AAA and an empty credit card and a tool box haha
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 02-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #13
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
So I'll have a spare belt, spare hoses, all new fluids and hoses and belt, will have a crank position sensor and Throttle position sensor (no camshaft because i cant find one?), fluids and a spare and then a lot of sacrifices to the pagan road trip gods. also AAA and an empty credit card and a tool box haha
Sorry about that. The camshaft position sensor is unique to the 00-01s. Instead of plug wires, we have a coil rail that sits over top of the spark plugs and instead of a distributor, we have a camshaft position sensor.

A spare plug wire or two might be nice to carry though. I've seen them melt on long trips with poor routing and having a spare has made the difference on the trail between getting down from a snowy mountain and having to abandon a rig and catch a ride back to camp.
Unread 02-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just go through and check that everything is tight and in tack. Just found I was missing a bolt tonight on the MAF sensor and a vacuum line was broken. Thinking through the same process, going to take a 4-6 week trip through Utah, New Mexico and Arizona. Going to try working from the road, it will be interesting.
300cpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.