Road Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Road Trip

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Knuckleballz

Road Trip

I thought these were pretty sturdy vehicles, but after looking around the forum a bit...

Can I do a 1000+ mile road trip with a Cherokee with out worrying about it falling to pieces? Would probably also be towing a bike if that changes anything.

Knuckleballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, just make sure your cooling system is up to par.. and check all your fluid levels... You'll be fine.
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Maddog
XJ Crazed

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think before anyone comes close to answering your question, you need to fill out your profile. I know my '96 XJ with 170K on the clock I wouldn't trust on a 1K trip however that's because the pervious owner did zero maintenance and drove it like he stole it. With that said, if I was the owner from day one or had bought an XJ that was cared for, by all means I would drive it arcoss the country in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Maddog; 04-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Knuckleballz

And there's the rub. Not an owner yet. Looked at a few this past week & plan on looking at a few more this weekend/in the weeks to come.
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Then this is a dumb question, sorry..... Don't buy a POS and you'll be fine then. Any vehicle can make a 1K round trip if it's not straight broken...
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

This depends entirely on the condition of the vehicle the same as if you were looking at other vehicle. Abuse and neglect will take their toll on any vehicle, but XJs take it better. Basic maintenance goes a lot further on Cherokees than it does on most vehicles and the 4.0s run a lot longer than your average motor.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...n/viewall.html

This article is for picking out a Jeep to build for offroad use, but it's points are pretty much universal in buying one at all.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Knuckleballz

OK, thanks. And maybe it was a little dumb, but after a couple minutes of reading the "you know you own an XJ" thread, it sounded like these things broke down every 250 miles.

Appreciate the responses.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.