Retrofitting HID projectors for xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Retrofitting HID projectors for xj

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 07-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
2000NWXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Retrofitting HID projectors for xj

I already have h4 conversion headlamps. Does anyone know of a projector kit that is fairly easy to install or a good guide for retrofitting an h4 headlamp? Thanks.

2000NWXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoBiXenonProjectors.htm
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Blackxfe

The fellow has a nice right up and where to look for answers. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBiXenonProjectors.htm

I also recommend http://www.theretrofitsource.com their advice and quality of product is top notch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Blackxfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
2000NWXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the links! It will be nice to see the road at night. My headlights are garbage
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What H4 housings did you buy?? Did you use an upgraded wire harness??
Admittedly, stock sealed beams are garbage. The Rampage housings I bought don't have the greatest following, but they are much better than stock.
Having said that, I often wonder if the people wanting HID are just suffering from impaired night vision
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i heard autopal are pretty decent, 32 for a pair of housings, then throw in a $60 HID kit and bam you have some good night vision.

or just run some auxiliary lights lol.
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
2000NWXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure what brand they were I got them for Christmas a couple years ago. They have clear glass lenses, the harness is still stock
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdantheman
i heard autopal are pretty decent, 32 for a pair of housings, then throw in a $60 HID kit and bam you have some good night vision.l
No. Just no. Slapping cheap HIDs into reflector housings is irresponsible--dangerous and wasteful. Do it right or don't do it at all. Putting HIDs into reflector housings will throw a ton of light up into oncoming drivers' eyes. It really is dangerous. I've been blinded to the point of fearing for my life because of unsafe HIDs, so don't dare to defend this half-assed practice to me. Aside from dangerous, its wasteful. Reflectors don't focus all that light where you need it--light gets thrown in directions that are simply not useful especially if you're one of those "just angle/aim them down" people. Don't do it. Retrofit HID projectors so that they use their light the way you need them to and so that you're not blinding oncoming drivers. Go to danielsternlighting.com and look-up his info on HIDs (he has a ton of great info) and learn something.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
No. Just no. Slapping cheap HIDs into reflector housings is irresponsible--dangerous and wasteful. Do it right or don't do it at all. Putting HIDs into reflector housings will throw a ton of light up into oncoming drivers' eyes. It really is dangerous. I've been blinded to the point of fearing for my life because of unsafe HIDs. Don't do it. Retrofit HID projectors so that they use their light the way you need them to and so that you're not blinding oncoming drivers. Go to danielsternlighting.com and look-up his info on HIDs (he has a ton of great info) and learn something.
yes thats the cheap way of doing it, you can do it but you must angle the headlights down some to keep glare down. i didnt say that was the correct way of doing it. i have had some cars with retrofits and one with the original headlights with HID and it looked great. no glare and a very nice cut off, oh and i have been to that site about 5 years ago when i did my first retrofit but thank you for the wisdom.
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdantheman View Post
yes thats the cheap way of doing it, you can do it but you must angle the headlights down some to keep glare down. i didnt say that was the correct way of doing it. i have had some cars with retrofits and one with the original headlights with HID and it looked great. no glare and a very nice cut off, oh and i have been to that site about 5 years ago when i did my first retrofit but thank you for the wisdom.
I like how you cut out Mschi772's comment about aiming the headlights down and then go on to say doing that makes it OK to use junk HID setups...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post

I like how you cut out Mschi772's comment about aiming the headlights down and then go on to say doing that makes it OK to use junk HID setups...
Even just aimed down they still suck. You go and put money into your lights just to point most of it into the ground to make up for a horrible optic system. And even aimed down the light spill is still bad. you shouldn't be lighting up treetops at all with your low beams, thats just wasted output.

Do the projectors, do it right the first time. There is a reason why no modern OEM HID systems use reflector optics.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
He/she didn't. I did some editing after being quoted, and changes don't carry over to the quote.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdantheman View Post
i heard autopal are pretty decent, 32 for a pair of housings, then throw in a $60 HID kit and bam you have some good night vision.

or just run some auxiliary lights lol.
do not ****ing do this.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
evo_ski
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
No. Just no. Slapping cheap HIDs into reflector housings is irresponsible--dangerous and wasteful. Do it right or don't do it at all. Putting HIDs into reflector housings will throw a ton of light up into oncoming drivers' eyes. It really is dangerous. I've been blinded to the point of fearing for my life because of unsafe HIDs, so don't dare to defend this half-assed practice to me. Aside from dangerous, its wasteful. Reflectors don't focus all that light where you need it--light gets thrown in directions that are simply not useful especially if you're one of those "just angle/aim them down" people. Don't do it. Retrofit HID projectors so that they use their light the way you need them to and so that you're not blinding oncoming drivers. Go to danielsternlighting.com and look-up his info on HIDs (he has a ton of great info) and learn something.
Big x2.

I will be doing a similar retrofit on mine sometime this summer. After driving my Audi I will never ever go back to a non projector setup. I honestly feel like the light you get out of the older style sealed beams is downright dangerous. I can't see a thing with those.
evo_ski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.