Respect from the TJ Crowd - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Respect from the TJ Crowd

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #31
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
Not trying to be a dick, but I think its a bit unfair to say the "cool" ones are the ones who didn't pay a shop to instal their lift. I like wheeling just as much as the next guy and I paid a shop to instal mine. I've always been a computer guy and when it comes the mechanics, my knowledge is very limited (That and its a 13 year old rust prone NY vehicle). Yes I'm learning and trying to do more and more stuff on my own, but saying that the good ones didn't pay a shop to do it seems just as arrogant as TJ owners dismissing XJs for being XJs. Just my .02.

But as far people being *******s in Wranglers, they're every where. I just stick to my XJ loyalty and say that "Real Jeeps have unibodies". I have no problems with people that drive wranglers or anything else. But I treat people how they treat me.
You seem like on of the cool wrangler owners. You want to learn about your Jeep and actually wheel it. Around here most people don't even want to bother to learn how to work on the vehicles and would rather pay a shop to do all the work for them. The part you are missing from my comment is that the people here in the city where I live pay a shop to do all the work and then most of them never put their Jeep into 4wd yet they will talk trash to anything that isn't a wrangler be it a ford, chevy, dodge, etc.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #32
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
You seem like on of the cool wrangler owners. You want to learn about your Jeep and actually wheel it. Around here most people don't even want to bother to learn how to work on the vehicles and would rather pay a shop to do all the work for them. The part you are missing from my comment is that the people here in the city where I live pay a shop to do all the work and then most of them never put their Jeep into 4wd yet they will talk trash to anything that isn't a wrangler be it a ford, chevy, dodge, etc.

Heh, I got you're point. Only I'm not a wrangler owner
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #33
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle

Heh, I got you're point. Only I'm not a wrangler owner
Sorry about that I replied from my phone and couldn't see what type of jeep you drive.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #34
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
I just start asking them questions about their t-case/axle/crawl ratios, or their low-pinion D30 and why they have a transfer case drop instead of a slip yoke eliminator, or how their toothpick-thin tie rod has managed to hold up to their 35"+ tires. This is usually enough to weed out the bros from the pros.

This summer, some guy with an overbuilt CJ tagged along with our group and kept telling people over the CB "You guys without lockers will want to keep your speed up through here!" on a fairly steep uphill section of loose, medium-sized rocks. I'd done the area about two dozen times in my YJ with open 3.07's before with no problem, so I purposefully crawled as slow as possible in my grocery-getter with its auto and 4.56's (open). Didn't slip a wheel once.

This guy. Nothing against him, I just didn't appreciate the lack of confidence he seemed to have in my lowly unibody XJ. Give me any POS, I can pick a decent line to make it up a lot further than you think the vehicle might be able to.

Almost every CJ/YJ owner I've met is at least an automotive enthusiast of some sort while maybe a good fraction of TJ owners are just weekend warriors. But it makes sense, because TJ's were the first real Wranglers to incorporate safety features and creature comforts plus they featured updated, less utilitarian styling. As a result, more casual people were buying them and aftermarket support shot through the roof with vendors scrambling over each other to push product. If you took a Quadratec catalog for every Jeep model and eliminated the universal-fit stuff, the TJ catalog would still be the thickest. I suspect the JK is catching up quickly, though.

I enjoyed my YJ for its removable top and doors in the summer, but after owning my XJ for a while now I realize how impractical a SWB Jeep was for my lifestyle. I will probably own one again as a dedicated toy, but not as a primary vehicle.
So this guy is talking like he's a pro and running thornturds? Buhahahahaha

I never got any waves on 3" and 31"s (it was closer to 1.5" of lift towards then end). I just put on a 4.5" RE lift with 33"s and it seems I get a little more attention and waves now. It helps when my XJ is a little muddy, and the other guy is showroom clean.

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #35
StealthItself
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had some dingus I work with tell me that the only reason anybody buys any Jeeps at all is because "they're just cheap four-wheel drives."
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #36
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrailratedj View Post
so this guy is talking like he's a pro and running an ineffective jungle gym cage, one of the most hack rear suspensions setups ive seen, and bald thornbirds buhahahahaha, idiot.
fify:d

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4338209219.html

My build - Odd approach to 33's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...h-33s-1307968/
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #37
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Sorry about that I replied from my phone and couldn't see what type of jeep you drive.
GAWD, SO MAD!!!!

Nah its cool
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.