Respect from the TJ Crowd - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Respect from the TJ Crowd

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just start asking them questions about their t-case/axle/crawl ratios, or their low-pinion D30 and why they have a transfer case drop instead of a slip yoke eliminator, or how their toothpick-thin tie rod has managed to hold up to their 35"+ tires. This is usually enough to weed out the bros from the pros.

This summer, some guy with an overbuilt CJ tagged along with our group and kept telling people over the CB "You guys without lockers will want to keep your speed up through here!" on a fairly steep uphill section of loose, medium-sized rocks. I'd done the area about two dozen times in my YJ with open 3.07's before with no problem, so I purposefully crawled as slow as possible in my grocery-getter with its auto and 4.56's (open). Didn't slip a wheel once.

This guy. Nothing against him, I just didn't appreciate the lack of confidence he seemed to have in my lowly unibody XJ. Give me any POS, I can pick a decent line to make it up a lot further than you think the vehicle might be able to.

Almost every CJ/YJ owner I've met is at least an automotive enthusiast of some sort while maybe a good fraction of TJ owners are just weekend warriors. But it makes sense, because TJ's were the first real Wranglers to incorporate safety features and creature comforts plus they featured updated, less utilitarian styling. As a result, more casual people were buying them and aftermarket support shot through the roof with vendors scrambling over each other to push product. If you took a Quadratec catalog for every Jeep model and eliminated the universal-fit stuff, the TJ catalog would still be the thickest. I suspect the JK is catching up quickly, though.

I enjoyed my YJ for its removable top and doors in the summer, but after owning my XJ for a while now I realize how impractical a SWB Jeep was for my lifestyle. I will probably own one again as a dedicated toy, but not as a primary vehicle.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have respect for anyone who knows about and works on their on rig, wheels with half a brain, doesnt destroy the environment and cause trail closures, and has thick skin for when they get ripped on

I have been known to salute some dbags in TJs and XJs alike. I generally wont wave unless you obviously wheel and have a decent rig, or I know you from here or local forums or wheeling with you before.

Those rules go to any make and model 4x4

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4338209219.html

My build - Odd approach to 33's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...h-33s-1307968/
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
slamin04
2011 JK Wrangler 

well VegasGT i have had very similar issues. I was a TJ owner also, every wrangler that passed waved, evan stop and ask about my mods. and know that im an my XJ i have yet to have a fellow XJer wave back. may be my area not sure. but for me personally i feel im a JEEP man so for CJ,YJ,TJ,XJ,MJ,JK,ZJ,WJ,WK,WK2,KJ,AND THE KK and for any other fellow jeeper out their,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmos111/
slamin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamin04 View Post
well VegasGT i have had very similar issues. I was a TJ owner also, every wrangler that passed waved, evan stop and ask about my mods. and know that im an my XJ i have yet to have a fellow XJer wave back. may be my area not sure. but for me personally i feel im a JEEP man so for CJ,YJ,TJ,XJ,MJ,JK,ZJ,WJ,WK,WK2,KJ,AND THE KK and for any other fellow jeeper out their,
It's the opposite here, the only people that wave are fellow xj owners. I have had people who drive other 4wd vehicles come up to me in the parking lot and ask me about my xj but never a wrangler owner.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
mithuth
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I treat others with the respect I'm given. I will give it until there's reason not to. XJ, TJ, whatever, we're all jeepers.

mithuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
Cassafrass
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
I just start asking them questions about their t-case/axle/crawl ratios, or their low-pinion D30 and why they have a transfer case drop instead of a slip yoke eliminator, or how their toothpick-thin tie rod has managed to hold up to their 35"+ tires. This is usually enough to weed out the bros from the pros.

Almost every CJ/YJ owner I've met is at least an automotive enthusiast of some sort while maybe a good fraction of TJ owners are just weekend warriors. But it makes sense, because TJ's were the first real Wranglers to incorporate safety features and creature comforts plus they featured updated, less utilitarian styling. As a result, more casual people were buying them and aftermarket support shot through the roof with vendors scrambling over each other to push product. If you took a Quadratec catalog for every Jeep model and eliminated the universal-fit stuff, the TJ catalog would still be the thickest. I suspect the JK is catching up quickly, though.

I enjoyed my YJ for its removable top and doors in the summer, but after owning my XJ for a while now I realize how impractical a SWB Jeep was for my lifestyle. I will probably own one again as a dedicated toy, but not as a primary vehicle.
You have some damn good points in this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
I have respect for anyone who knows about and works on their on rig, wheels with half a brain, doesnt destroy the environment and cause trail closures, and has thick skin for when they get ripped on
This. Jeep or no jeep. 4x4 or not. Anyone who knows their way around their own vehicle, motorcycle, etc and is respectful to others is alright with me.
Cassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't snub my nose at anyone.

But at this point in my life I couldn't care less about any one that thinks they are better than others because of what they drive. Especially when that becomes evident at a stop light, gas station, or parking lot. F- them. Most of the time those same people would get out-wheeled on the trail.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
that cage scares the **** out of me!!!
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
agoldxj
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nobody waves to me in my mj lol..

Everyone waved in my tj

and no one waves at my girlfriends jk
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
Mace350
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've never been waved to by any wrangler in my XJ....Got lots of waves in my YJ

It may not be the same everywhere but here it's not the Jeep wave it's the wrangler wave.

I understand the statement of waving to only built rigs as I am guilty of this myself, big tires and suspension say hey wave at me...But then again my XJ has a 6.5" and 33"s
Mace350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #26
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I want an XJ as a dd. nice steel blue xj with about a 3" lift and 33" MTZs on Soft 8s. Plus that cargo space would be awesome. But I dont have that kind of cash. But I wave at any cherokee with at least minor mods. I usually assume whoever is driving has more offroad experience than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I dig his worn out thornturds too. I too have been treated as if my jeep was inferior from a few tj owners and maybe from a former ranger owner who now drives an xj and has become a good friend. I guess cause XJs are associated with soccer moms and groceries the get a bit of a rep. Your typical tj owner is usually pretty young inexperienced and thinks his LP D30/D35 30/9.5 equipped rig is un stoppable, more so if he has bigger tires and a lift. I had a young lad in a mild Tj on 33s awe struck cause I had long arms, as if there was no aftermarket support for the Xj, and questioned how capable my xj was on just 31s, needless to say my experience, skill and longer wheel base prevailed. I like to think with in my wheeling group I proved the xj platform worthy of wheeling, keeping up with rubi TJs on 33s with my LSD and 31s. I love my xj and look forward heading to Moab with it and a few TJ and JKs this fall.
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #28
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I own a YJ.. I wave at Cherokees all the time... how come you guys don't have back, huh?

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #29
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
As far as I am concerned the cool yj,tj,jk people are few and far between. The ones who are cool didn't pay a shop to install their lift and usually ended up owning a Cherokee in the past.
Not trying to be a dick, but I think its a bit unfair to say the "cool" ones are the ones who didn't pay a shop to instal their lift. I like wheeling just as much as the next guy and I paid a shop to instal mine. I've always been a computer guy and when it comes the mechanics, my knowledge is very limited (That and its a 13 year old rust prone NY vehicle). Yes I'm learning and trying to do more and more stuff on my own, but saying that the good ones didn't pay a shop to do it seems just as arrogant as TJ owners dismissing XJs for being XJs. Just my .02.

But as far people being *******s in Wranglers, they're every where. I just stick to my XJ loyalty and say that "Real Jeeps have unibodies". I have no problems with people that drive wranglers or anything else. But I treat people how they treat me.
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #30
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I ride a motorcycle a fair amount of the year. Never got the whole you dont respect me because you didnt wave thing. heck, most people out there, I would rather they kept both hands planted on the wheel, eyes taped open, radio off, and phone left at home, let along let a hand of the wheel and try to make eye contact and wave.

Especially from cars . Yes, they are all cars, cagers, and whatever, even our XJs. (Car is short for carriage, right?)

Now I would never snub anyone's vehicle when talking about it... except maybe a GC, they are just OOOOOOOgly when lifted, without armor and stuff. But it would be in jest

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.