Respect from the TJ Crowd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Respect from the TJ Crowd

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Respect from the TJ Crowd

This is a bit of an off the wall thread, but I'm feeling a little loose, and boredom has set in, so I figured I'd see how you guys feel on the subject.

As a former TJ owner myself, I feel (from experience) that I have the right to voice my opinion on the issue. Here's the question. Has anybody else been out driving and had a TJ owner turn his nose to the sky and act as if your XJ is a mere cheap beater, and is something people settle for when they cant afford a Wrangler?

I had a particular d-bag TJ guy say this to me at a gas station one time when I had my lifted 01 XJ. I laughed and went on my way. Based on the 235's, excessive chrome accessories and 6 spoke, pitted chrome American Racing wheels, I had a good feeling that if I threw some genuine facts his way, his brain was likely to overload and suffer an aneurysm.

Being mainly true to my XJ beliefs, and from experience, I know I'm not the only one on this forum who has been subjected to such ridicule, and downright airheaded comments.

So ultimately, for the sake of what could perhaps be an entertaining thread, or a complete flop, I'd like to see what experiences you guys have had with this, and what your rebuttals were. I usually throw the whole, "your front suspension on your 97? coils, wow... XJ had that in 84..." out there. Let's hear yours!

Disclaimer: Not intended to mean disrespect to TJ owners. Loved my TJ, and would love to have it as a weekend toy. I am only referring to the generally misinformed "posers" (i guess you could say) that think the XJ's only purpose is to give postal workers and state maintenance workers something to drive.

July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

never had this happen but while reading sept issue of jp magazine a guy named Mark said the 2 door xj they put on the cover of jp was junk,crappy, not worthy of being on the cover... etc etc ( the xj had winch,mild lift,mud tires,protection) what your saying sounds alot like that tool, everybody has different requirements for there rigs, and dont have a huge bank account to do it with either. I had a friend whos had multiple jeeps, from Cherokees to cjs even a tj. He donated his tj to cash for clunkers lol so needless to say he didnt care for it. What im saying is, are the Cherokees cheaper? Yes. Cheaper to build up then a tj? Probably but there both just as capable once u throw a lift and tires under it
Jeepnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnbo View Post
never had this happen but while reading sept issue of jp magazine a guy named Mark said the 2 door xj they put on the cover of jp was junk,crappy, not worthy of being on the cover... etc etc ( the xj had winch,mild lift,mud tires,protection) what your saying sounds alot like that tool, everybody has different requirements for there rigs, and dont have a huge bank account to do it with either. I had a friend whos had multiple jeeps, from Cherokees to cjs even a tj. He donated his tj to cash for clunkers lol so needless to say he didnt care for it. What im saying is, are the Cherokees cheaper? Yes. Cheaper to build up then a tj? Probably but there both just as capable once u throw a lift and tires under it
Yes, exactly what Im talking about. I personally didnt care for my TJ. XJ gives me more room, more doors, (in most cases) better axles, lower initial cost, and more importantly a HUGE aftermarket that is almost as big, if not just as big as the TJ aftermarket, and XJ's havent even been made for some 12 years now!!

Ah, i'm trying not to vent, and it's not even about the XJ thing in general, I go off anytime i hear ANY misinformed person speak on a subject they have no clue about with complete confidence.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
2002TJX65
Addicted or Committed?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I love my TJ. My theory is: do what you love, and **** the rest! Keep on Jeepin brothers!

I6, NV3550, NP231, Trussed Ford 8.8, Trussed HPD30
2002TJX65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
SLATEGOAT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have no problems with any of the "Hard Top" Jeeps....... have even Waved at a few who looked like they knew what Jeepin' is all about.

Keep Calm...... And Jeep On
SLATEGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I experience this almost anytime I drive around this city. They all talk trash until it comes time to actually put them in 4wd then all of a sudden they have to go do something else or come up with excuses. As far as I am concerned the cool yj,tj,jk people are few and far between. The ones who are cool didn't pay a shop to install their lift and usually ended up owning a Cherokee in the past.

I actually had a JK owner at an offroad event say the he doesn't pay attention to non real Jeeps (referring to mine) yet he was driving a JK.

I like all Jeeps and try and wave to all of them I see on the road but most here don't know what Jeeping is about.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLATEGOAT View Post
I have no problems with any of the "Hard Top" Jeeps....... have even Waved at a few who looked like they knew what Jeepin' is all about.

Keep Calm...... And Jeep On
Good deal, and we appreciate it. It's just like anything else, all large groups of people are subject to having a few misinformed, bad seeds. Not trying to start a rivalry here by any means, just sparking interesting conversation (or thats the goal).

My dislike for my TJ was purely because it was my DD. Soft top, 2.5l, and 33" KM2's on 4" RC shortarm kit were probably this biggest reasons for my dislike, not so much with the platform itself. Just seeing if anyone else had been "talked down to" in such a way, or maybe my general area of TJ owners is just a bit grumpy.

My bottom line is I'm cool for anybody that doesnt mind getting their ride twisted up a little bit out in the elements. Bonus points if they packed a well-stocked cooler to share after the ride!
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Cassafrass
2000 WJ 

I have to say its usually the opposite. I wave at every TJ and YJ I see. Some JKs, if they look like they know what they're doing.

Everytime I've waved at an XJ or ZJ, even lifted ones. 99% of the time they look at me like I'm bat **** crazy. lol
I can however see some TJ owners thinking that. Its just the people, has nothing to do with the jeeps. TJ owners seem to be the worst "elitists" though.
Cassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I experience this almost anytime I drive around this city. They all talk trash until it comes time to actually put them in 4wd then all of a sudden they have to go do something else or come up with excuses. As far as I am concerned the cool yj,tj,jk people are few and far between. The ones who are cool didn't pay a shop to install their lift and usually ended up owning a Cherokee in the past.

I actually had a JK owner at an offroad event say the he doesn't pay attention to non real Jeeps (referring to mine) yet he was driving a JK.

I like all Jeeps and try and wave to all of them I see on the road but most here don't know what Jeeping is about.
Well put, and this is exactly what I am getting at, which I partially blame on Chryslers ad campaign. It sells them vehicles, but over the past several years, the Jeep market has appealed to the public in the same way a convertible Miata does. Something to pull out on a nice day, with no intent to ever leave pavement. They usually want it to look "tough", without any care for understanding how that look happens, let alone ever try to discover the functionality of it. These people are not hard to spot either. Seen an electric green LJ with rockstars and street tires.

And that is not necessarily a stab at the TJ itself, but it seems that particular model is more susceptible to the bandwagon crowds.

I guess we are just mad at system, man. I like to envision a world where everyone with a Jeep has a solid front axle and wheels every weekend.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Well put, and this is exactly what I am getting at, which I partially blame on Chryslers ad campaign. It sells them vehicles, but over the past several years, the Jeep market has appealed to the public in the same way a convertible Miata does. Something to pull out on a nice day, with no intent to ever leave pavement. They usually want it to look "tough", without any care for understanding how that look happens, let alone ever try to discover the functionality of it. These people are not hard to spot either. Seen an electric green LJ with rockstars and street tires.

And that is not necessarily a stab at the TJ itself, but it seems that particular model is more susceptible to the bandwagon crowds.

I guess we are just mad at system, man. I like to envision a world where everyone with a Jeep has a solid front axle and wheels every weekend.
IMO anything with rockstar rims on it is a poser
May 2013 COTM
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassafrass View Post
I have to say its usually the opposite. I wave at every TJ and YJ I see. Some JKs, if they look like they know what they're doing.

Everytime I've waved at an XJ or ZJ, even lifted ones. 99% of the time they look at me like I'm bat **** crazy. lol
I can however see some TJ owners thinking that. Its just the people, has nothing to do with the jeeps. TJ owners seem to be the worst "elitists" though.
True, definately the people. I'm into a bit of everything that's clean, so I wave at anybody in a tastefully done ride. Hell, I waved at an early 90's Ford Festiva one time just because it was immaculate.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
SLATEGOAT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will give the XJ guys one thing........ when your in the dog house sleeping in a XJ must be nice........ lots of leg room ......hahhhah
SLATEGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLATEGOAT View Post
I will give the XJ guys one thing........ when your in the dog house sleeping in a XJ must be nice........ lots of leg room ......hahhhah
And a place to put the groceries!
May 2013 COTM
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
IMO anything with rockstar rims on it is a poser
no way man, those are madd tight. i'm gonna order some in 24's with 30" Terra Grapplers tonight if jersey shore re-runs arent on, bro.

I die a little everytime I see Rockstars. Rockstars on a Jeep is like seeing Arnold Schwartzenegger being pregnant. It's not right, and you dont like it.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My xj is my cheap beater that I settled for because I couldn't afford a tj.

Still love it though

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.